Bloggers' Reactions to the show

N.B. Reviews of shows remain under appropriate country
BEtourfan
Tony

Re: Bloggers' Reactions to the show

Post by BEtourfan »

Very interesting review by an author who saw the show during a writers conference in NYC.

http://wordwenches.typepad.com/word_wen ... class.html
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

This blogger saw the show on Broadway on September 25th and generally liked it -- giving special kudos to Emily Skinner and Myles Erlick. Overall, though, he gave the show a grade of B, mainly for what he calls its "inconsistency".

Starring Myles Erlick, Emily Skinner, Daniel Jenkins, Katherine McGrath, Cameron Clifford and Patrick Mulvey.

http://jkstheatrescene.blogspot.com/201 ... lliot.html
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

porschesrule wrote:This blogger saw the show on Broadway on September 25th and generally liked it -- giving special kudos to Emily Skinner and Myles Erlick. Overall, though, he gave the show a grade of B, mainly for what he calls its "inconsistency".

Starring Myles Erlick, Emily Skinner, Daniel Jenkins, Katherine McGrath, Cameron Clifford and Patrick Mulvey.

Of course, we all see things differently. The musical is a bit inconsistent (nothing is perfect) and a case could be made that it intends to depict the story in a different way than the film. One is more fantastic; the other more realistic. Films can be harshly analytical; Broadway must provide entertainment. That makes the transfer from film to the stage challenging. All in all, I think it is mainly very successful. Yes, there is a bit of adult mugging at points. And yes, some of the most poignant moments are those that are the most economical. Electricity...trite? Well, only insofar as I think Elton John wanted at least one song that might transfer to the hit chart - yet the choreography of it is brilliant. We all know that the relationship between the Billy and Mrs Wilkinson is the thread that ties the play together, and I am delighted that he gave these actors high praise, as do we all. The thing I like about this review (while I do not agree with some points) is that the blogger explained his criticisms. So often reviewers simply praise or condemn, with no explanation, particularly the latter. This reviewer made an effort, and that is what counts in this biz. In that regard, it is fair; it is one man's opinion.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

This reviewer seems confused on several points. First, he seems to confuse Electricity with Dream Ballet. Second, his talk of "inconsistency" fails to recognize that mood changes are always going to seem inconsistent. It was very important that the entire show not be serious and a downer. In order to give power to the dramatic moments, there has to be lighter moments like MCMT and Express. This reviewer has obviously never tried to write a play, musical, novel or short story or he would have realized the importance of these two comic reliefs. And he missed the power of Angry Dance? Come on!
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

He states,"...I can't seem to decide what should be it's focus..."

Really..?

Stating further, "...Is it Thatcher-era politics and the miners strike? Is it social commentary on the state of things in Britian? Or is it Billy's rise and departure from the dying town?

I actually found this blogger's review comprehensive and in most respects fair on an intellectual level, although in regards to the above, I'm not sure where his confusion resides. I don't know, I'm one of those who always reverts back to the name of the movie and musical "Billy Elliot," as my guide to the absolute core and substance of what this show unequivocally is all about. One can become dizzy, if not totally distracted, concentrating on all the sub-plots particularly in the first act, i.e., the miners, the police, the ballet girls. Eye balling all of them them hustling around the stage can easily obscure the maturation of Billy's skills and the discovery of himself and his desire to dance which he portrays beautifully if you're not distracted. Whether it's "Shine," "Solidarity," even "Expressing Yourself," with Michael, in my opinion one can easily answer wherein the true balance of the show resides. Again, in my opinion, everything else is a side show, serving as a foundation or catalyst in launching Billy's dream. I admit, it takes a helluva lot of discipline to eyeball that personal journey, but in doing so, it provides for me the joyous journey, I believe, the musical was meant to provide for everyone fortunate to see it. Regards, Colin

One almost has to discipline themselves to watch Billy's process of discovery throughout
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

It definitely takes more than one viewing that's for sure.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Personally, I think the title of the show should give him a clue about the focus. Of course, he knows what the focus is supposed to be, but he obviously feels that the less intrusive political background of the film is preferable.

He has obviously seen the show more than once, because he compares Jenkins' interpretation of Dad to Greg Jbara's. One thing that really mystified me was his description of Greg's interpretation of the character as "passive-agressive." I would never, ever have described his Dad that way. :?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

This blogger talks about BETM London and Christmas...

http://www.sonjalewis.com/?p=1726
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

And that's why the opening routine for Act 2 in the NY show is so different from the one in London. 8-)
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

ERinVA wrote:And that's why the opening routine for Act 2 in the NY show is so different from the one in London. 8-)
Oh no it isn't!
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!

Return to “Blogs and Trip Blogs”