9th Anniversary Show London

jdmag44
Michael

9th Anniversary Show London

Post by jdmag44 »

The 9th anniversary show is only 7 weeks away. I know that many members of the forum are planning on going to London in May. I would be very interested in knowing who will be making that trip.

I will be in London from May 6 (my 70th birthday) to May 15. I will be traveling alone (I don't usually do that) and I have never been to London before so I will need to rely on some help from seasoned forum members. I would like to see if I could tag along with some of you while I am there,especially those of you who have also never been to London or if you plan on doing some sightseeing while you are there.

I am staying at the Best Western Victoria Palace 60-64 Warwick Way. 0.3 miles from the V.P. theater.
I have tickets for 5 shows- Thurs Mat May 8, Fri May 9, Sat May 10 both shows Mat and Eve and Mon May 12. I have the same seat for all the shows E16.

Thanks
Joe
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: 9th Anniversary Show London

Post by kport »

I am doing the matinee on the 8th; the 12th; and probably the matinee on the 15th.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I'm sure that we will all be seeing familiar faces at the VP over the range of dates starting with Joe's arrival on the 6th and extending to the end of Jon's visit.

Joe, I think it will be relatively easy to find people to dine with and do things with over the course of your visit.

One thing I would highly recommend that anyone do on arrival, especially if you are new to London, is take the Original Big Bus hop-on hop-off tour. Assuming that your flight arrives early in the morning, it's a good thing to do to use a couple of hours while you are waiting to get into your hotel room. Leave your bags at the hotel and ride an entire circuit without getting off to orient yourself to the major sights in the city. The commentary is live, unlike that on some of the other hop-on/off tours. The Big Bus has a departure point at Victoria Station. The ticket if good for 24 hours if you want to continue to use it to get around the city until the next day.

http://eng.bigbustours.com/london/home.html
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I agree with Ellen. It is a good way to unwind, see some sights and relax after that long flight.

Several members have asked me about obtaining cash. Using your Visa or MC debit or credit cards in the UK is simple and universal (but Amex and Diners are not accepted everywhere). Two points: the British have 'chip and pin'; cards are inserted, not swiped in many places as in the US. But your debit cards will work fine in ATMs, and cashiers can help if chip and pin is the norm. You can use any ATM with your card to withdraw sterling from a US bank. Credits cards may (not always) have a fee added.

Never let your card out of sight. Usually you are handed a device in which you swipe and enter your pin.

There are ATMs in Heathrow. DO use those that belong to banks (Barclays, RBS, HCSB etc) and NOT Travelex, which looks the same but charges hefty fees. I suggest getting some cash before leaving the airport for taxis, tipping, etc. I always use some to buy a bottle of water at the WH Smith. Those flights can be dehydrating!

http://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk ... cilities.h

Do tell your bank/credit card company that you will be using your cards abroad - or they might freeze them on you!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Hope you can make it, Dell. It would be great to see you again. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I will be there from the 8th through 14th, and am seeing the four BETM's on the 9th through 12th. I am thrilled to hear so many others from the forum will be there around the same time. :P
-Chris
:/
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

I shall be arriving early A.M., on the 8th, in time to see both shows that day; to be followed by Fri., evening the 9th. Both shows on Sat., the 10th; and finally the Anninversary production on the 12th. This will be my forth overseas venture to the VP.

Six shows...Busy-Busy-Busy!

Don't tell anyone, least they think me nuts!

Colin
FM-Switzerland
Tall Boy

Post by FM-Switzerland »

I am visiting the following shows during that time:

FRI 9th
SAT 10th (matinee)
SAT 10th (evening)
MON 12th

See you @ VPT
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

9th BIRTHDAY SHOW - MONDAY, MAY 12th

We have very kindly been given permission by the Victoria Palace for photographs at the 9th Birthday Show

The rules are the same as usual and must be adhered to. They are:

NO FLASH

NO VIDEO

PHOTOGRAPHS TO BE TAKEN ONLY AFTER THE CURTAIN COMES DOWN AFTER THE CHAIR LIFT

Thanking everybody in anticipation of your usual co-operation.

The Victoria Palace have also invited all Forum Members to meet in the rear stalls bar before the show starts. For those new to the theatre just walk right to the rear of the main entrance room and the bar is at the very back. In previous years they have laid on cakes for us so fingers crossed that they have done the same this year.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Billy Whiz wrote:The Victoria Palace have also invited all Forum Members to meet in the rear stalls bar before the show starts. For those new to the theatre just walk right to the rear of the main entrance room and the bar is at the very back. In previous years they have laid on cakes for us so fingers crossed that they have done the same this year.
That tradition is so wonderful, so might I ask, if it's not too crazy to do so, could someone quietly, nicely, legally get a photo of the bar and any signage? If not, I understand, but for those of us who've never been there to see this particular fan thank-you, I'll take anything you can show us! :D

I think there was a shot from a past occasion, so yeah, if at all possible? Thank you!

Sean

Return to “Special Shows - London”