OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Re: Billy Elliot the Musical Live

Post by OliverWaters »

ERinVA wrote:
OliverWaters wrote:
kport wrote:A rather interesting HuffPost article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/11 ... 37174.html
I hate the Huff Post, it comes out with some right rubbish.

That article seems perfectly straight forward to me--not rubbish at all. It's true that the audience was polled about performing MCMT on the day of her death. All in all, I think it's a good interview with Daldry about his views on the show and Billy Elliot Live.
That article is fine, I was talking more in general. I didn't know that about MCMT though!
Occam's razor: The simplest answer is the most probable.

Oliver's razor: The most boring answer is the most probable.
Sheepdog
Tall Boy

Post by Sheepdog »

Re- What to do for the night Mrs Thatcher died...

One can hope that the family had the decency to let the theatre know their wishes well before the night of her death. The theatre could hardly "ask", the family could hardly be unaware of "the number". And it would be quite reasonable if that "conversation" were considered private, and not for announcing to the public. I hope the family did the decent thing.

Just my imagination, but I think with Maggie's love of capitalism and free enterprise, that she might have been a covert fan of the show? And there is one thing worse than being vilified... being forgotten.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Here's a nice picture collage of London's three original Billys - Then and Now:

http://t.co/MtXSLwN0uy
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

A nifty little review from WestEndWilma:

http://www.westendwilma.com/billy-elliot-live/
skkmercury
Small Boy

Post by skkmercury »

As a tremendous fan of BETM, I was ecstatic back when I learned the London production would be filmed. Not only might I have a chance to see and perhaps own my own copy of the film, but I’d also finally get to see the London version of the show. I’ve been fortunate enough to see the Broadway version twice and the North American tour more times than I have kept track. I’ve never made it to London and likely won’t any time in the foreseeable future. Having the experience of seeing Billy Elliot Live in my local movie theater is the next best thing, and I am so grateful the decision was made to do it!

I don’t really have anything to add to what others have already raved about over the production values. I do have to say that I absolutely loved the cast. Elliot Hanna as Billy is incredible. His performance was unbelievable, considering it was under the scrutiny of video cameras capturing every little detail so close up. Same can be said for everyone else in the cast really! I was particularly impressed with the dramatic performances turned in by those who played Dad and Tony. Grandma was a hoot; I just loved her.

Some of the differences I found noteworthy between London and the other productions I’ve seen include:

- Before Solidarity when Billy hands his 50-P to Mrs. W, Billy turns away and says under his breath, “rip off”. That cracked me up and made me wonder if that’s unique to the London show. I don’t recall hearing it in any other production I’ve seen.

- During Expressing Yourself when the dresses come out, there’s one dress that appears to be an old lady dress. Michael refers to it as “granny” or “grandma” or something like that and then makes a “she’s crazy (or she’s driving me mental) gesture”. Another crack up for me!

- As others have already commented, I think the addition of having Billy say to dead Mum, “don’t go” is a nice change. It adds extra emotion to the already emotional scene.

- Also, have to say I absolutely loved Billy’s “f__k a duck” line. Totally caught me off guard. Great stuff!

- Angry Dance was just terrific. The ending, I thought, is much more pronounced. There’s no doubt whatsoever the number has ended and no awkward moment of silence from the time Billy falls to the ground and when the audience starts applauding. In London, the crowd went wild right away. Elsewhere, crowds seemed to be confused for a brief moment and then figure out it’s time to applaud. That always drives me mental! Elliot Hanna’s intense exit from the scene is the best I’ve ever seen.

- Two things I think other productions do better than London is the opening of the 2nd act and Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher. George with a few kids collecting for the miners works better than just George, Tony and Billy on stage to open the act. For MCMT, I much prefer seeing the older ballet girls dressed up like Maggie and the younger girls dressed with the miners’ coats on. That’s more fun than seeing just the adult ensemble at the beginning of the number.

- The intensity of the He Could Be a Star scene in London is palpable. You really get the feeling of just how broken a man Jackie is and of how desperate Tony is to stop his Dad from crossing the picket line. That intensity doesn’t come across near as well in other productions. For that reason I really favor the London version of this scene, even though there are aspects from other productions I prefer. Were I to direct a version of this show, I’d do a mash-up of London and Broadway.

- I really liked London’s version of the prelude to Electricity. When Billy pulls out the cassette tape and says “sh_t “, “sh_te”, “sorry”, I burst out laughing. Elliot’s delivery of the line is utterly priceless. Same can be said for the expression on his face when Billy is in the middle of winding the tape back into the cassette and gives the panel an assuring look as if to say “all is good, no worries”.

- One thing I’ve never cared for, which I don’t believe was included in the tour but was present on Broadway and in London, is during The Letter (Billy’s Reply). When Billy stops singing and Mum starts, Billy covers his face with the letter. It has never seemed natural to me. Maybe someone younger might do that. Just a pet peeve.

- Lastly, I thought it was a “rip off” that Elliot didn’t get his moment on stage alone after the finale. I first wondered if London doesn’t do the big Billy sign with the actor playing Billy standing in front of it. But, I’m guessing for this particular special performance, the producers decided to present the three original Billy’s (without the Billy sign) at the conclusion of the finale, instead of presenting that day’s Billy (with the Billy sign). Anyway, I thought Elliot Hanna deserved a massive ovation as this particular day’s Billy and was disappointed not to see it.

Overall, I absolutely loved the show, the ridiculously good performances and the stellar production values. I wish this show could have an open-ended run in movie theaters. Well, fat chance of that happening. Once I lay my hands on a Blu-Ray disc though, the show will live on in my home theater (aka my living room)!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

My responses in blue below. -Sean
skkmercury wrote:Before Solidarity when Billy hands his 50-P to Mrs. W, Billy turns away and says under his breath, “rip off”. That cracked me up and made me wonder if that’s unique to the London show. I don’t recall hearing it in any other production I’ve seen.

I don't remember hearing it in the beginning days/months of Broadway's run, but I think it did start showing up at some point, along with Mr. Braithewaite's basket of pansies, which wasn't there in the beginning either for some reason.

- As others have already commented, I think the addition of having Billy say to dead Mum, “don’t go” is a nice change. It adds extra emotion to the already emotional scene.

I keep forgetting to comment on this, so thanks for the reminder! I like it. I just think it needs to be done very softly and painfully for maximum effect. Elliott did a good job with it though, and it helps if you see Mrs. Wilkinson's face as Elliot speaks to someone she can't see.

- The intensity of the He Could Be a Star scene in London is palpable. You really get the feeling of just how broken a man Jackie is and of how desperate Tony is to stop his Dad from crossing the picket line. That intensity doesn’t come across near as well in other productions. For that reason I really favor the London version of this scene, even though there are aspects from other productions I prefer. Were I to direct a version of this show, I’d do a mash-up of London and Broadway.

Agree with all of that!

- I really liked London’s version of the prelude to Electricity. When Billy pulls out the cassette tape and says “sh_t “, “sh_te”, “sorry”, I burst out laughing. Elliot’s delivery of the line is utterly priceless. Same can be said for the expression on his face when Billy is in the middle of winding the tape back into the cassette and gives the panel an assuring look as if to say “all is good, no worries”.

That look was PRICELESS and one of my favorite moments in the show!!!

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

As far as I am concerned, in the London show, the '' Rip Off'' comment by Billy was started by Ali Rasul ( May 2013 to Jan 2014) and continued by Redmand Rance. Most, if not all, of the current London Billys say the words.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

dancingboy wrote:As far as I am concerned, in the London show, the '' Rip Off'' comment by Billy was started by Ali Rasul ( May 2013 to Jan 2014) and continued by Redmand Rance. Most, if not all, of the current London Billys say the words.

That line originated on Broadway at some point after the show opened. Some of the Billys used it, and others did not.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

SolidarityForever wrote:
kport wrote:A rather interesting HuffPost article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/11 ... 37174.html
Well, Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher is, in the show, sung by miners during the strike. Maybe it would have been appropriate to leave it out on the day of her death but how they feel about Thatcher is an important aspect of the miners' side of the story.
Appropriate for whom? I wish I'd have been at that show because I would have stood in the aisle & sung along with the cast. Happy days.
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

skkmercury wrote:Lastly, I thought it was a “rip off” that Elliot didn’t get his moment on stage alone after the finale. I first wondered if London doesn’t do the big Billy sign with the actor playing Billy standing in front of it. But, I’m guessing for this particular special performance, the producers decided to present the three original Billy’s (without the Billy sign) at the conclusion of the finale, instead of presenting that day’s Billy (with the Billy sign). Anyway, I thought Elliot Hanna deserved a massive ovation as this particular day’s Billy and was disappointed not to see it.
There is no Billy sign in the London show. Normally after the Finale the curtain drops for a few seconds & then when it lifts Billy is alone on stage & (usually but not always) he performs a few flips and cartwheels to the front of the stage & then waves on the rest of the cast for a final company bow.
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!

Return to “Special Shows - London”