Rotations and Live

Eltonjohn
Miner

Rotations and Live

Post by Eltonjohn »

Before we knew which actors would be featured there was some light discussion of how the actors might possibly be selected. The concensus seemed to be 'per the usual rotation'. In retrospect, is it possible to deduce whether this was more or less the case (and with any certainty)? The backstage tour would have been shot After the Live was filmed?
BETM: "the most expensive school play ever."
Lee Hall
in Playbill October 2008
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: Rotations and Live

Post by StevenKing »

I'm guessing they were picked well before and then the rotation was just adjusted around that. That Elliot pre show shot HAD to be done pre show since I believe it was shown in the live feed.
SolidarityForever
Small Boy

Post by SolidarityForever »

I don't know why, but I was quite certain before it was announced that it wouldn't be Bradley. I've never seen him live but what I've seen in videos and all seems amazing, but still I can imagine that, especially for the DVD, they would have gone for a ballet Billy to fit the story.
OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Post by OliverWaters »

SolidarityForever wrote:I don't know why, but I was quite certain before it was announced that it wouldn't be Bradley. I've never seen him live but what I've seen in videos and all seems amazing, but still I can imagine that, especially for the DVD, they would have gone for a ballet Billy to fit the story.
If they did make a choice rather than follow the rotation, I wonder how they did it with tact and without hurting the feelings of the other Billys.
Occam's razor: The simplest answer is the most probable.

Oliver's razor: The most boring answer is the most probable.
SolidarityForever
Small Boy

Post by SolidarityForever »

OliverWaters wrote:
SolidarityForever wrote:I don't know why, but I was quite certain before it was announced that it wouldn't be Bradley. I've never seen him live but what I've seen in videos and all seems amazing, but still I can imagine that, especially for the DVD, they would have gone for a ballet Billy to fit the story.
If they did make a choice rather than follow the rotation, I wonder how they did it with tact and without hurting the feelings of the other Billys.
Even if they just followed the normal rotation the other three would have been disappointed. But the same goes for the other Debbies, Michaels and children's ensemble. And they didn't get a part in the finale like all four of the current Billys.
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

I think that the company picked their A team for the live show. All the child cast in for the show were the ones that I would have expected!

Elliot is the senior and most experienced Billy. He ticks all the boxes! Singing, acting and dancing, and in the time that I have been watching the show, he is the one that is least prone to mistakes.

As someone else said, it was unlikely to be Bradley on account of him not being a ballet Billy. As great as he is, I think that excluded him from selection.

I personally have a big soft spot for Ollie. I love his acting, his singing/speaking voice, and also the way he lends an innocent, vunerable air to Billy. I have seen him three times now, and his dancing has got better and better with each of those times.

Zach, like Elliot, was a shoe-in for the live show I think. Again he ticks all the boxes. He is the senior Michael, and when he is on stage he commands attention. He has that charisma, that stage presence that draws your eyes to him. Todd plays the role in his own way, and I do find his performance to be laugh out loud funny. He has a unique timing to his comedy that is very clever. I wonder if it is natural, or whether he puts a lot of thought into it. Either way it works very well. He does look very young up there though.

Do they even have a set rota anyway? It all seems very random, as it should be I guess. Next time I go I would love for both Matteo and Tomi to be on, as I have not seen either of them. However, whoever is on..... I know I will not be disappointed.... They are all top notch!
OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Post by OliverWaters »

Bridget40 wrote: Do they even have a set rota anyway? It all seems very random, as it should be I guess. Next time I go I would love for both Matteo and Tomi to be on, as I have not seen either of them. However, who ever is on..... I know I will not be disappointed.... They are all top notch!
As far as I know - there is not, for child protection reasons, so it could not be predicted who will be on that day. Though there could be schedules drawn up at the start of each week/month, and it could have been that the schedule was made with the Live show being seen as any other, rather than a special show with a chosen lineup.

MsRF
Small Boy

Post by MsRF »

There is a set rota - it took a long time before I finally twigged what it was - but obviously it is also purely dependent on whether the child cast is well and able to do the show, or if the company alters the rota for things such debuts/leaving nights/cast holidays.

I also would've been staggered if Elliott hadn't been chosen for Billy Live - although it may have hurt the other kids' feelings, it is only right, as he is the senior Billy. It wouldn't be Bradley since he's a street Billy, and Matteo and Ollie are still relatively new and might've been distracted by all the extra things to think about! It would've been a bit like pulling the rug from under Elliott at this stage - been in the role for a year and a bit, and pipped at the post by a Billy who had been there four months? It was always unlikely, except in the event of illness :roll:

As an aside, I watched Ruthie's interview with Alan Titchmarsh and she said there are currently two new Billies at various stages of their training. Gives us all something to look forward to! :D
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I was told by somebody that the decision to have Elliott as Billy was taken by Stephen Daldry and him alone.

I have racked my brain but I cannot remember who it was that told me though :oops:
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Post by OliverWaters »

MsRF wrote: As an aside, I watched Ruthie's interview with Alan Titchmarsh and she said there are currently two new Billies at various stages of their training. Gives us all something to look forward to! :D
Was this recently? I guess that means two will be leaving soon?

Return to “Special Shows - London”