kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: MESSAGES TO THE BROADWAY CAST FOR THEIR FINAL SHOW JANUARY 8

Post by kport »

Lovely review, Gary.

Let me quote from it:

'This is a tribute to them, their families, and the casting director.'

I think we all applaud the families, and of course Lee Hall and Stephen Daldry and Elton John, but please can I propose a toast to the one lady who finds these kids, mentors them, protects them and makes their experience truly special?

A toast to -

Nora Brennan!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

kport wrote: A toast to -

Nora Brennan!
Agreed! To Nora! Bravo!

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
tomtorfan
Small Boy

Post by tomtorfan »

This is the first thank-you note I’ve ever written to a cast, Broadway or otherwise. It’s not that I haven’t seen other great plays and musicals. Just nothing that has approached Billy Elliot.

Where to begin? How to explain that, in this case, the whole is far more than the sum of its parts. I’ve asked myself why this gritty piece of theatre has a hold on me unlike anything else on stage ever has.

I could answer that it’s because Billy Elliot tells us all it’s time to push back against the casual cruelty of a world that crushes dreams. Whether parent or teacher or neighbour or friend, it tells us we are all capable of inspiring someone ...and what a difference that makes.

But BETM is no mere manual for character building. I love it because it weaves its magic in a way that’s such bloody fun.

And it is you, the members of this elite Broadway company, who consistently manage to deliver that magic...that fun.

You haven’t just been worthy stewards of the show.... You have been celebrants. In everything you do, night after night, it’s clear that this hasn’t been just another job.

I hope you can sense what we in the audience feel. The pre-show buzz. The audience has heard the stories...read the reviews. They can’t wait. They know they’re in for something special.

That’s your doing. You always deliver.

Can you see the reluctant ones in the audience come around? You know who I mean... the men dragged there by their wives or girlfriends. The guys who begin the show silently ...with arms crossed... but who end it leading the cheers. Do you see this? Do you delight in it as much as I do?

I love that this company...like the former one in Toronto...is so deep in talent that even when a well-loved regular was out, I knew I’d still be in for something very special.

To the parents, a grateful thanks for all of your sacrifices as you generously loaned your precious charges. We see your pride in watching sons and daughters triumph at what they truly love. For a parent, this must be as good as life gets.

And finally, a huge ovation for those young cast members. Professionals all. For in the end, the emotional wallop of BETM comes down to you. The boys tall and small, the ballet girls, the Michaels, and especially the Billys. It is your talent, your energy, your determination, that powers this epic and wins us over.

So now that Billy’s Broadway marquee is about to come down.....the question must be put...

Should we be downhearted?

Well, Billy Elliot is a story about loss after all....about coping with the difficult. But it’s more than that.

It shows us how kids blossom when people believe in them...when they're encouraged to chase their dreams. And from that standpoint, BETM is a case of art imitating life.

As the Broadway company takes its final bow on Sunday, we’ll be looking at a stage full of amazingly talented youngsters... their futures so bright...

Like Billy, their adventures are just beginning....

That is, I think, the best company celebration anyone could hope for.

My heartfelt thanks to all of you for insisting...in so many ways over the last 39 months...that we celebrate that hope with you.

Tom M.
(tomtorfan)
We will find a new tomorrow
When we come to rest at last...
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Fabulous job, Tom (tomtorfan)! Loved reading that!!!

Sean

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I agree, great job Tom! :D
:/
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

My heartfelt thanks to all of you for insisting...in so many ways over the last 39 months...that we celebrate that hope with you.
Thanks, Tom. How true!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

To the entire cast and crew of Billy Elliot,
Like many others, I fell in love with the movie when it came out over a decade ago. The story is so inspiring, and I tried to share the movie with as many people as possible.
When I learned that there would be a musical produced, I was very excited. I didn't have the opportunity to travel to London to see the show, but I did get the Cast Recording, and it became a staple on my playlist.
When the musical opened in NYC, I wanted to go, but I was not able to. I knew one day I would need to see this show, but it just didn't seem to work out. Finally the show opened in Toronto, so I made the 5 hour drive down to see it. I knew the story and the music, but was excited to see how it would all be pulled off on stage. Well to say that the show was magical would be an understatement. I have really never experienced such a feeling as this. I knew I needed to see the show again, and I wanted to share it with my parents.
So I bought tickets for my parents and I to go to closing night in Toronto. With much better seats, the experience topped that of the original show. As completely in love with the show as I was, this further cemented it.
In November my friend and I traveled to NYC for a week to see some shows and do sightseeing. I knew one of the shows I needed to see was Billy Elliot! As a fluke, we booked tickets for a tuesday night, which turned out to be the 3rd anniversary show, where the original Billy's and Stephen Daldry appeared. It was probably one of the best nights of my life. I left the theatre with chills still running through me. I may not see this musical again for a while, but I could not ask for a more perfect evening.
Through the movie and the musical, the vision of Stephen Daldry and Lee Hall has become a phenomenon that has touched many hearts, including mine. The message of this show is such a positive one, and in a way has really helped guide me through my own coming out. This show has helped me realize that we only get one shot at life, and I cannot sit back and let opportunity pass me by. I do not want to look back with regrets, and Billy has taught me to take risks, to be confident, to love myself, and to shine! For this, I am eternally grateful!
Thank you to all the cast and crew of this musical. You are a part of something bigger than just a Broadway show. While you will move on to a different chapter of your life, I hope that you will look back fondly at this show, and realize that you helped change lives.
Good luck and all the best! Thanks for everything!
-Rob Goyette
The Billy Elliot Forum
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

rob_hanson1979 wrote:and realize that you helped change lives.
Wonderful message and messages, Rob!

StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

To the cast and crew of Billy Elliot,

You have no idea the impact and pleasure you have brought into my life. The amount of talent and hard work displayed on the Imperial stage is mind boggling and even now 5 and 1/2 years after seeing it for the first time in London I'm still shocked by what I see. Thank you for entertaining us these 3 plus years, it was one hell of a run! A huge thank you to the families of all the children for loaning them to the show sometimes for years. I know what a sacrifice that must have been but know that it is very much appreciated by the fans. And lastly to all my fellow fans...I have made so many friendships that I hope to keep well WELL after Billy Elliot is gone.So while Billy walks up the aisle with his suitcase into whatever the future holds for him know this...his memory lives on and shall never be forgotten.

Steven King
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

StevenKing wrote:The amount of talent and hard work displayed on the Imperial stage is mind boggling and even now 5 and 1/2 years after seeing it for the first time in London I'm still shocked by what I see.
It's amazing, isn't it? No matter how many times we see the show, there are still so many WOW! moments! Thanks for sharing your thoughts/message Steven!

Return to “Special Shows - Broadway”