Relationship Between Company, Forum, and Individuals

Mike
Ballet Girl

Re: Relationship Between Company, Forum, and Individuals

Post by Mike »

ERinVA wrote: I would just like to commend everyone who has been posting in this thread for the civil way the discussion is being conducted. Even though very divergent points of view and strong opinions have been expressed, with one unpleasant exception which was quickly taken care of by our excellent moderators, no one has let temper spoil the debate on the issue, which is actually quite a complex one in many ways.
I also think it's great that we can have a civil discussion about a touchy subject without resorting to name calling or insults. To me this is what internet forums are all about. Sharing personal views with other people in a intelligence way. Though some people may say using my name and intelligence in the same sentence is pushing the envelope too far... :lol: :lol:
JohnFromVermont
Small Boy

Post by JohnFromVermont »

Hi Folks -

I'd like to share a brief story about one of the young actors in the show and his experiences with the Forum/FOBE.

I work with the father of one of the kids who opened the NY show. When he retired, a group of fans put together a book that contained comments about his performances as posted to the Forum and FOBE, along with photographs, program covers, etc. This is one of his most cherished memories from his years with Billy Elliot. He loves to reread it, he shows it to friends, and always has a big smile on his face when he leafs through it. Prior to receiving the book, he never even knew that the Forum or FOBE existed.

If you want to say "good job" or something similar to one of the cast members, I encourage you to post a review or comment in the appropriate place in the Forum. They will see your note and will cherish it. And, the fact that you took time to put it in writing will allow them to experience it over and over again. It will have a lot more meaning than a quick comment at the stage door.

Cheers!

John (from Vermont)
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Great suggestion, John.
Brad
George

Post by Brad »

John. this does indeed seem the best way to pass on our admiration and thanks to anyone who appears in the show. The shame is that it is usually done as the cast member is leaving - which I believe is the best way to do it.
Cheers

Brad
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thank you for that post, John. Collective cards/booklets make really nice mementos, and I can see why your cast member cherishes his.

In my opinion, a whole barrage of gifts and cards from people one doesn't know isn't as likely to make an impression as one nice well thought-out collective expression of thanks sent when the child has reached the end of his time in the show.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

hey guys! I just read this whole thread and I find the different points of views really interesting. If I can add my two cents...
I have a friend who is something of a celebrity. He does theatre shows. He really appreciates feedback and "good job"s from people. It means a lot to him. Sometimes after the show he's tired or sore or whatever, but it only takes a few seconds to greet someone, so he takes the time.
But sometimes people want more. They want a conversation, they want to talk about the show, they was 25 autographs for their whole family. Thats when it gets too much for him. Is it part of the territory, yes, but is it pleasant, not so much.
But the one thing that really irks him is when people don't awknowledge him. I've personally seen situations where we would be standing in a elevator, and a mom would turn to her kids and whisper "do you know who that is" but they would never personally awknowledge him. That is something he finds rude, and I agree. It would be better if they say hello or something, instead of talking about him like he's not there.
I'm not saying these situations always happen at the stage door, I just wanted to present some of the feelings that my friend has in these types of situations.

As for the whole individual vs forum debate, here's my though. While everyone here is individuals, if you are an active member and you go to a show, you are representing every last person here. You are representing the forum. If you act nicely, they will notice if, and if you act like a tool, they'll DEFINATELY notice it. And if they know you are a member of the forum, then they'll associate it. Just like if you go to McDonalds and an employee is rude, they reflect badly on the whole company. You realize that it is only their actions, and yet... next time you go to McDonalds, you'll remember that experience.

While it is nice to see cast members stop for photos and autographs and so on, it is nothing that is required. Your ticket to the show in no way entitles anyone to any sort of personal experience outside of the theatre. For me, while it's nice and all, I'd rather see the cast go and visit a childrens hospital or something. To me, thats a better reflection on the type of people they are! I love the show, I'm soon seeing it for the fourth time, but if I don't meet the cast, it in no way detracts from my experience at the show.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

One final comment from me on this subject. I know from first hand experience that the Ballet girl Mums, Small Boy Mums and Billy parents (past and present) that I have spoken to are fully appreciative of the support their children are given.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

JohnFromVermont wrote: If you want to say "good job" or something similar to one of the cast members, I encourage you to post a review or comment in the appropriate place in the Forum. They will see your note and will cherish it. And, the fact that you took time to put it in writing will allow them to experience it over and over again. It will have a lot more meaning than a quick comment at the stage door.
John, great suggestion. I have on occasion Googled a cast member, and among the search results have found reviews on this forum (including posts of my own). I am sure most actors, and their loved ones, regularly do the same kind of searches to learn what the world is saying about them.
:/

Return to “Chat about Billy Elliot the Musical - London”