Relationship Between Company, Forum, and Individuals

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Relationship Between Company, Forum, and Individuals

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your thoughts, Steven.

Let's go back to the original post I made, dancingboy. Here it is:
ERinVA wrote:Let's get something straight about "how the forum is treated": This forum is an online community. There are members of this community who attend multiple shows, both in London and here in the US, but they are individual people. No doubt some of them have created an impression on cast members, whether good or bad, and that might affect management decisions about access to the cast. But they are not "the forum" itself.

The management at the VP has always been very cordial in dealing with the forum administration, such as letting us know that photos will be allowed on special nights, giving us a heads up about merchandise close outs, etc. , in order for us to give notice to our members, so I do not feel it makes sense to complain about "how the forum is treated." Some individuals may feel that they have not been treated in as friendly a manner as they should have been because they want more access to the cast and are not allowed to have it, but that does not translate into the forum being treated badly. Being a member of this forum does not entitle anyone to special access to the cast, and I strongly disagree with anyone who thinks it should, or that "the forum is treated badly" because access is denied.

In fact, this sentence from our Rules and Policies says it all: As members of the Forum we have no special privileges other than seeing and enjoying a fantastic performance!
The reason I started this thread was to address a particular post and point out that the forum is not treated badly in any way. I stand by that. If any individuals have felt they have not been treated as they should by anyone connected with the show, all I can conclude is that it is down to an indiviual situation, not a forum one.

You have said, "Neither as a fan nor a member of this Forum have I ever suggested . . . that I have a right to do this." If you don't claim you have a right to do it, then why are you doing it despite what I gather must be unpleasant encounters?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Mike
Ballet Girl

Post by Mike »

I have said in the past that the London company could do things different with the way they let the child cast interact with the fans. It could be done in such a way that security could be enforced and at the same time the cast could get the chance to sign autographs and be "treated like stars" instead of "hearding" them out the door like a bunch of cattle. This has been one of my main complaints/concerns about the way the London company treats the child cast. What i cant understand why they wouldn't want the kids to be able to enjoy being treated as such. I've also noticed that the adult cast don't seem to expect any praise either. I really enjoyed seeing Phil Whitchruch the last time i was in London, but i never got the chance to tell him until i saw him again in NYC. Guess it's just a culture difference.

My suggestion in the past is that maybe it could be arranged that every so often the company could have a "autograph day" at VPT featuring both adult & child cast. They could even charge a small fee and have it go to some charity. Then security could be maintained concerning the child cast and at the same time fans would be able to tell the cast how much they enjoyed them. Of course this would take some effort on someone in the company's part to organize and by the actions we have seen they don't seem to really care if the cast & fans have any interaction at all.

In a earlier post someone basically said that the NYC guardians weren't doing their job properly by they way they handled the stage door. Trust me they did their job very well and made sure that they kept a very well placed eye on each and every one of the child cast until they were "handed over" to their parents or whoever was picking them up. I'm sure the London guardian have a tough job dealing with a group of "hyped up" kids after the show. But they can do their job without being rude to the cast & fans. To tell the kids to look straight ahead and to not even acknowledge anyone who happens to say "well done" is in my opinion rude.

I myself have never been one to get autographs and after getting a couple of pics of any cast member i don't feel like i should intrude upon them anymore. There is others that don't feel that way.. ( i've seen more than one person ask the NYC cast members to sign numerous things ) and i think that is wrong. Just how many autographs or pics do u need of one person. If you are getting one for another person that is fine but i would think 2 should be the most to ask from one person.

As Steven said in his post in London it isnt going to change anytime soon so why not just except it and move on. If you want it to change complaining isnt going to help. How about contacting someone at the VPT and see if they would be willing to organize something like i suggested earlier in this post.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Nice suggestion, Mike. However, I tried something similar a year ago with the VPT, but the idea fell on deaf ears. Basically, I was told that there was no time available for such sessions to take place.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

dancingboy wrote:Basically, I was told that there was no time available for such sessions to take place.
Well the children have lessons every morning and then rehearsals. Even when they are not performing in the next show they still have rehearsals. I suppose it's only fair for them to have "fun time" where they can act like kids rather than West End stars.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Mike
Ballet Girl

Post by Mike »

Billy Whiz wrote: Well the children have lessons every morning and then rehearsals. Even when they are not performing in the next show they still have rehearsals. I suppose it's only fair for them to have "fun time" where they can act like kids rather than West End stars.
I agree Billy Whiz, except i also think they should get the chance to act like West End stars.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Even though my name on this forum is accessmenj, I have never tried to have access to any of the children. I think that this should be limited to other children.

And this forum is right in saying that the actions of its members do not represent the forum. The forum is for discussion only.
Mike
Ballet Girl

Post by Mike »

accessmenj wrote:Even though my name on this forum is accessmenj, I have never tried to have access to any of the children. I think that this should be limited to other children. .
Please dont think that i'm saying that forum members or fans should have access to the child cast. My opinion is that the child cast should have access to the fans... and yes there is a difference. :D :D
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

You make an interesting point, Mike.

I would just like to commend everyone who has been posting in this thread for the civil way the discussion is being conducted. Even though very divergent points of view and strong opinions have been expressed, with one unpleasant exception which was quickly taken care of by our excellent moderators, no one has let temper spoil the debate on the issue, which is actually quite a complex one in many ways.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Brad
George

Post by Brad »

I agree Ellen. I thought this was going to get quite nasty. In fact in the heat of the moment I was going to have a rave myself about some attitudes but did hold back :D

Mike makes the point about the child cast having access to the fans which I believe to be a valid point but I ask this question. Has anyone given this topic any thought from the childs perspective? I am sure most of the child cast appreciate the support - in fact we know they do but, how do you think they would feel seeing, in some cases, the same faces over and over again? How would their parents react if they saw the same faces over and over again or were told by their child that "that "person" was there again". I can only assume, but I do so with much confidence, because if it hasn't happened someone is negligent in their duty, that the child cast has been given the "stranger danger" talk.

I am trying to be politically correct or more so forum correct here and I know I run the risk of being deleted or edited, which is fine, but the same people, regularly being seen by the child cast must raise some concern amongst most people. The adult cast seeing the same thing would raise more eyebrows. Even from my time at the Sydney and Melbourne shows I was concerned that some people needed to regualrly get autographs and photos of and from the same chidlren and from two trips to London - I have seen similarities.

Unfortunately, I feel these very people, are tagged as forum members either through their own admission to people or though an assumption from others and unfortunately this gives others a similar tag.

I don't know the final answer to all this, I don't believe anyone does. Without going to extremes!. I have worked with kids for more than 25 years - people need to remember that these stars are kids, they need protection and we need to respect their privacy.
Cheers

Brad
Mike
Ballet Girl

Post by Mike »

My whole argument is that the child cast in London should have the opportunity to meet their fans and sign autographs if they choose to, not that they should be expected to. My opinion is that to not even give them a chance to "experience" being a "West End Star" isnt fair to them after all the hard work & dedication they have put into getting to the point where they are.

Brad... I'm sure a lot of people question why the same people would come to see the show time after time. I wondered this myself when i 1st saw the show in London in March 2008. Then after joining the old forum and reading how this person or that person was so good i told my self i needed to see it again to see these other amazing actors. 49 shows later i'm not as eager to see it as i once was, but every time a new Billy, Michael, Debbie, Dad, Tony or Grandma gets rave reviews it makes me want to go again. To see a Billy preform at the beginning of their "career" and then to see how much he has grown & improved in his skills by the time he preforms his last show is amazing to me. To me it's kinda like watching a athlete from the time they start playing a sport as a kid and then seeing them go on to become a professional.

I have actually asked one of the parents what they thought about the people who come to see the show numerous times and they said that they were happy to see people supporting their child. They also told me that they had told their child if anyone made them feel "uncomfortable" that they should avoid the person and tell a guardian if necessary.

Return to “Chat about Billy Elliot the Musical - London”