3100th Performance

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

3100th Performance

Post by ERinVA »

According to the facebook page for the Victoria Palace, tonight's performance of the show will be number 3100.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Victo ... 6425645177
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Brad
George

Re: 3100th Performance

Post by Brad »

This is an awesome achievement. So glad I have been a part fo those 3100 shows. Feel just a little bit special :cry:
Cheers

Brad
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

I add my congratulations for the production attaining the milestone of 3100 shows as well. It's definitely an achievement worth celebrating. And long may it continue.

However, just a note for the record...

If one were to count the number of actual performances since the 3000th show (July 17, 2012), the 3100th show would be on tomorrow evening (Friday), not tonight.

The show obviously can announce whatever they want and observe various milestones whenever they want. For example, we know that BETMUK has played rather loosely with the date of milestone observances in the past to accommodate the presence of some of the show's creative team (i.e. the moving of an anniversary (5th?) celebration from the normal observance each year commemorating Opening Night to a date corresponding to an observance of the 1st preview; the celebration of the 3000th show and 7th anniversary on a date which was neither that show nor the actual anniversary date).

One reason why such announced observances don't always add up to the actual number of performances shown on this Forum's tracking thread and other places is that the management of this show counts scheduled shows (that is shows for which tickets were printed) and not shows actually performed. For example, on July 2nd of this year, the show was cancelled because of some construction related incident at the theatre. It was not performed and people with tickets got a refund or arranged to see another show on the schedule. Yet, that show was counted toward total shows.

And, of course, there have been numerous examples of such cancellations over the years that skew the actual performance count. That very well may be the industry standard for counting shows (i.e. longest running show on Broadway etc.). I'm not sure. It seems to me, though, what they should be counting are complete shows that were actually performed.

In the tracking threads, I've tried to keep everyone aware of what the performance numbers look like each month, and how the number of shows credited to each Billy tie back to the actual number of shows performed. Anyone can verify that information -- it's all here on the Forum in black and white, recorded daily.

But again, whether the 3100th show should be observed tonight or tomorrow night, it's a milestone that deserves to be celebrated and I raise my glass in a toast: "To 3100 more!!"
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

porschesrule wrote:I add my congratulations for the production attaining the milestone of 3100 shows as well. It's definitely an achievement worth celebrating. And long may it continue.

However, just a note for the record...

If one were to count the number of actual performances since the 3000th show (July 17, 2012), the 3100th show would be on tomorrow evening (Friday), not tonight.

The show obviously can announce whatever they want and observe various milestones whenever they want. For example, we know that BETMUK has played rather loosely with the date of milestone observances in the past to accommodate the presence of some of the show's creative team (i.e. the moving of an anniversary (5th?) celebration from the normal observance each year commemorating Opening Night to a date corresponding to an observance of the 1st preview; the celebration of the 3000th show and 7th anniversary on a date which was neither that show nor the actual anniversary date).

One reason why such announced observances don't always add up to the actual number of performances shown on this Forum's tracking thread and other places is that the management of this show counts scheduled shows (that is shows for which tickets were printed) and not shows actually performed. For example, on July 2nd of this year, the show was cancelled because of some construction related incident at the theatre. It was not performed and people with tickets got a refund or arranged to see another show on the schedule. Yet, that show was counted toward total shows.

And, of course, there have been numerous examples of such cancellations over the years that skew the actual performance count. That very well may be the industry standard for counting shows (i.e. longest running show on Broadway etc.). I'm not sure. It seems to me, though, what they should be counting are complete shows that were actually performed.

In the tracking threads, I've tried to keep everyone aware of what the performance numbers look like each month, and how the number of shows credited to each Billy tie back to the actual number of shows performed. Anyone can verify that information -- it's all here on the Forum in black and white, recorded daily.

But again, whether the 3100th show should be observed tonight or tomorrow night, it's a milestone that deserves to be celebrated and I raise my glass in a toast: "To 3100 more!!"
I am prepared to put my hands up and say "I'm wrong" but I think you are wrong and the theatre are correct in that the 3,100th show was on Thursday evening.

There were 16 performances in July after the 3,000th show.
There were 37 performances in August including an extra matinee performance on the 21st.
There were 34 performances in September.
There have been 13 performances in October up to tonight.

This adds up to 100 performances since July 17th.

These figures were taken from the tracking thread.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Billy Whiz wrote:I am prepared to put my hands up and say "I'm wrong" but I think you are wrong and the theatre are correct in that the 3,100th show was on Thursday evening.

There were 16 performances in July after the 3,000th show.
There were 37 performances in August including an extra matinee performance on the 21st.
There were 34 performances in September.
There have been 13 performances in October up to tonight.

This adds up to 100 performances since July 17th.

These figures were taken from the tracking thread.
You don't have to put your hand up, Billy Whiz, as everything you've written is correct. But I'm only going to put mine up half-way. My point stands, I just left out a part of my explanation in making it.

In my original post, when I was talking about the counting of scheduled shows vs. performed shows, the reason for my doing that was to point out how the announced observances of milestones can be different from the counts shown in the tracking thread because of what was being counted. In the specific instances of the observances of the 3000th and 3100th shows...

At the end of June, there was a total of 2982 shows (see page 29 of the tracking thread). So we needed 18 in July to get to 3000. In my previous post, when I brought up the cancelled show on July 2nd, it was meant to point out the discrepancy in what was being counted. If you count the cancelled show, you do indeed get to the 3000th show on July 17th, the date on which the theatre announced it to be. But if you're counting actual performances (and therefore don't include the cancelled show on the 2nd), it should have been observed on July 18th. And you'll note that in the tracking thread for the July 17th date what I wrote was "(3000th show observed"). Unfortunately, in my previous explanation, I failed to complete this explanation, which I realized when I read your post, Billy Whiz.

So back to my point in writing my original post regarding the 3100th show...

If you're counting only shows actually performed and the 3000th show was on July 18th, 100 later would fall on October 12th and not the 11th. That was what I was trying to say -- but obviously without total success :lol:

Long ago, with regard to what is posted in the tracking thread, I decided to just go with the flow on whatever was being announced by management. I am adding the word "observed", however, instead of just writing "3000th or 3100th Show". I try to explain why there appears to be a discrepancy in the numbers when I'm asked.

Because of non recorded data from the early days of the show, I can't be responsible for speaking to how many of the 3100 shows (which we know doesn't include previews) have actually been performed. However, I'm doing my best to keep an accurate accounting of things during the time I'm coordinating the tracking threads.
Brad
George

Post by Brad »

I'm going to put a hand up and back BW on this - he has probably been to at least half of the shows :lol:
Cheers

Brad
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Was anyone at the show? Did they do anything special to acknowledge the milestone?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Was anyone at the show? Did they do anything special to acknowledge the milestone?
Yes and no, in that order :D .

Both Thursday shows were befitting a 3,100 occasion

Pat

Return to “Chat about Billy Elliot the Musical - London”