The final scene from the film................

Bridget40
Tall Boy

The final scene from the film................

Post by Bridget40 »

Do you think that The musical misses the very moving final scene from the film? The one where Jackie and Tony go to watch Older Billy in Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake?

The reason I ask is because the last three times I have attended The VPT I have gone with three different friends who had never seen Billy before. They thoroughly enjoyed the show, but all three said that they were disappointed that the Musical did not end the same way as the film. One of them did cotton on to the fact that Dream Ballet does represent that final scene, but she still felt that it would have been better to have had it at the end, and also that it should have mirrored the film more exactly!

I think the final scene from the film would be very difficult to reproduce on stage, and even if they could....I like it the way it is.............
dongringo
Debbie

Re: The final scene from the film................

Post by dongringo »

I like the final scene in the musical better than the movie. Both are very powerful scenes. It's just a preference I guess.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
OliverWaters
Ballet Girl

Post by OliverWaters »

They each work well in their own medium.
Occam's razor: The simplest answer is the most probable.

Oliver's razor: The most boring answer is the most probable.
Borrobil
Ballet Girl

Post by Borrobil »

The story of the Film and the story of the Musical are quite different by that stage. The film climaxes with "a happy ending" of all being together physically in the end. Whereas in the Musical the climax is the success at Electricity. The musical has the Friends, Family, and Community all separated and bereft at the end. I think Lee Hall said he wanted to emphasize the good-byes more. Clearly that it would have bogged down a movie.
~ Paul ~
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

I've always wondered if the film was originally intended to end with Billy, having said goodbye to Michael, getting on the bus and disappearing into the distance towards the unknown, leaving the viewer hoping (and, maybe, believing) that he will make it to the big time. Is it possible that the movie business, being what it is, wanted a happy ever after conclusion so the last scene was just tagged on?

I much prefer the ending in the musical. It is such a poignant scene. You could argue that the story is as much about Michael as it is Billy. Everyone else in the village, albeit having been "defeated", at the very least have each others' shoulders to cry on but Michael is left utterly alone. That's what makes the final curtain scene, for me, so gut-wrenching and our brilliant Michaels never fail to deliver.

Pat
Terpsichore
Audience Member

Post by Terpsichore »

whilst I find both ends fitting for each medium, I too was a bit disappointed when I first saw the show live... so were a few other people I've watched it with.
I guess it's because it's so nice to see Billy has succeeded and got himself a big part...
but like I said, either way works!
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I like the ending of the musical the way it is. Maybe just because I'm familiar with the show, but it would feel weird if the Dream scene was at the end. Plus they use it as Jackie's revelation of how good Billy is.

I would also venture a guess that in 2014, a lot of people who see the musical may have never seen the movie. Perhaps it is different in the UK, but over here, I think the movie is not nearly as well known.
SolidarityForever
Small Boy

Post by SolidarityForever »

Most people I know have seen the movie and even though everyone's familiar with the musical, a lot of people haven't seen it and probably won't.

But I personally like the ending of the musical better. Because you get to decide for yourself what his life is going to be like in the future. He doesn't have to end up playing the lead in Bourne's Swan Lake. As sung by Jackie himself: he could be a star, for all we know. And we don't know how far he can go.
At least we know he has a bright future ahead of him and the happy celebration that is the finale really makes you leave the theatre feeling good about that.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I can't imagine seeing a single leap from Older Billy, a reaction from dad, and the lights going out to end the musical working the way it does in film. It's just three seconds of major risk, and wouldn't have the same payoff as the movie, where it's able to nail it with a closeup on Jackie in the audience. I applaud them for finding another beautiful way to close.

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
MsRF
Small Boy

Post by MsRF »

angelenroute wrote:I can't imagine seeing a single leap from Older Billy, a reaction from dad, and the lights going out to end the musical working the way it does in film. Sean
Agreed.

Part of what makes that moment work so well on film is that Billy's leap is shown in slow motion and you also cannot see the floor, giving the illusion that Billy is really soaring.

On stage, you'd see a jump that would be over in about a second, and also get no close-up of Dad's face. I think Dream Ballet is actually more emotional than Electricity in the show.

The fact he is dancing with his older self surely shows the audience that he does achieve his dreams and becomes an adult ballet dancer. (Admittedly, this illusion works best when older and younger Billy have the same colour hair! I always thought Lee Hoy/Bradley and Barnaby/Matteo are very good combinations looks-wise).

Return to “Chat about Billy Elliot the Musical - London”