The first time I saw the show...

Sheepdog
Tall Boy

The first time I saw the show...

Post by Sheepdog »

Nothing too "serious" or "important" here, but I just read a post that made me think that there might be some fun stories out there about how forum members came to go to their first performance of Billy?

To kick off the thread....

I'd seen the movie, loved it.
Saw a "puff piece" at the end of the evening news, was immensely impressed by the boy's little "demo dance"... but, in those days, I "didn't do" going to London to see shows.

Months later, I was trudging back to Victoria, having spent a long day interviewing potential replacements for a professional advisor I was replacing, and happened down the street alongside the theatre. (The one that is no longer there! (Street, not, thankfully, theatre.))

Saw the boards announcing that THIS was the home of the musical. (Hadn't noticed them at the start of the long day.)
Went to box office: Show tonight? Yes.
When? 45 minutes from now.
Ticket available? Yes.

Little did I know what I was starting! That was 8 years ago, this month. Now I DO go to London to see shows. Well. One show. (I've also seen it in New York, Boston, Washington)

I love the fact that Ann Emery and Barnaby Meridith are still in the show after all this time. I'm delighted that Ms Emery doesn't have to do EVERY performance, and the other Grandmas are splendid, too... but a night without Ms Emery is never QUITE as good as one with her.

(Not good with change? Moi?)

So? How did YOU get started?

Return to “Chat about Billy Elliot the Musical - London”