Anything special at Christmas

Caelc
Audience Member

Anything special at Christmas

Post by Caelc »

I have that week off and there are still plane tickets available - I assume a hotel won't be hard to find - So I am trying to decide if I want to spend the 3k to go over there and take a break or save the money for later. Is there anything special they do around Christmas at the show, and how is London at Christmas, mostly for a solo person.

I could save the money and go at a later date. would like to go to the anniversary show but would probably miss out on availability of tickets.

thanks

(I am fearful of airports at christmas though)
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anything special at Christmas

Post by ERinVA »

Be forewarned that everything closes down at midnight on Christmas Eve. No tube, no buses, and good luck getting a taxi back to your hotel after midnight services at St. Paul's, if you decide to do that, unless you have pre-arranged a ride. They don't run on Christmas day either, unless something has changed since I was there, which admittedly was quite a few years ago. Fortunately, the London Pride hop on/off bus was running on Christmas day, so that provided a way to get around, and it was packed.

It may also be difficult to get a meal, as most restaurants will be closed as well on Christmas day unless you want to do an expensive, carvery at a fancy one. But some of the small mom&pop groceries will be open, so you don't have to starve.

I highly recommend that you see a panto while you're there. They are a big holiday tradition, and you should definitely see one.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Caelc
Audience Member

Re: Anything special at Christmas

Post by Caelc »

ERinVA wrote:Be forewarned that everything closes down at midnight on Christmas Eve. No tube, no buses, and good luck getting a taxi back to your hotel after midnight services at St. Paul's, if you decide to do that, unless you have pre-arranged a ride. They don't run on Christmas day either, unless something has changed since I was there, which admittedly was quite a few years ago. Fortunately, the London Pride hop on/off bus was running on Christmas day, so that provided a way to get around, and it was packed.

It may also be difficult to get a meal, as most restaurants will be closed as well on Christmas day unless you want to do an expensive carvery at a fancy one. But some of the small mom&pop groceries will be open, so you don't have to starve.

I highly recommend that you see a panto while you're there. They are a big holiday tradition, and you should definitely see one.
food would be an issue, that i knew, the transit not so much. My last two times there, half the time I didn't bother with transit and walked about 25 miles a day. In the summer I was up at the Kensington Close hotel and every night, six nights in a row, the tube to my hotel was shut down and I had to walk from Victoria station back to the hotel which is a couple miles form the west end of Kensington park.

Went through a pair of shoes.

Best thing about that? You get to stuff pastries into your mouth daily just to keep you from falling through your pant legs. Stupid chocolate twist pastries at the french shop in victoria station. Yum....

thanks.

if only someone would invent teleporting.

Return to “Chat about Billy Elliot the Musical - London”