Olivier audience award

StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: Olivier audience award

Post by StevenKing »

Song wise Wicked at its best(Defying Gravity) actually tops Billy so yea you have a point...but it's a Popular contest and Wicked wins there :lol: wicked IS awesome, for act 1. Unfortunately there's an act 2. But I do see its appeal.
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

Bridget40 wrote:
jmh2014 wrote:
CJ-Rochester wrote:Here is Brodie's performance of "Electricity" at today's Olivier Awards in Covent Garden. Well done Brodie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWAnPsAnruU
This is what, I believe, the This Morning appearance should have been.
It would have been more suitable...... Even with this though, they messed up a bit. The wow factor at the VPT for the audience during Brodie's Electricity is his wall flip, and yet no wall flip in this performance. I very much doubt that this was Brodie's decision. It's like their trying not to impress. Someone at The VPT is not doing their job properly!
The lack of the wall flip may have been a health & safety issue.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Totally agree with you Bridget 40 the coverage on Good Morning was so stale and its overplayed on TV for me, it has no relevance to the show, its so disappointing after all the hard work put by all the cast, come on management lets have new ideas and compete again, don't forget the senior cast also. I remember when Ann Emery and Liam did Grandma's Song on TV. Tom, Fox and Dean doing a combined Electricity. What about the The Letter or if there is enough room Shine, anyway a Big Well Done! Brodie for your performance. I don't think the wall flip has been done before, Harrison was the last street Billy, when you sit in the VP on the right hand side you can see the stage-hands holding the wall.
Mind you I walked out at the interval of Wicked and went on a ride on a 24 bus to the West End, sorry not my show, I went and bought a ticket for Jersey Boys.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I agree Electricity is far more impressive and representative of the BETM story than the TV version of Express. Many numbers from musicals are less impressive when taken out of context, but I think a well done Defying Gravity trumps anything from BETM.

I think doing such acrobatics like a wall flip would be highly unlikely when not at their home stage where they have control over the walls and floor. The ending of this Electricity didn't have the usual handsprings and aerials we normally see in the theater.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

If it was not to be Billy Elliot the Musical's year to win the Olivier Audience Award, then my only regret is that Matilda the Musical did not win. Wicked leaves me cold.
Darth_Revan
Ballet Girl

Post by Darth_Revan »

kport wrote:If it was not to be Billy Elliot the Musical's year to win the Olivier Audience Award, then my only regret is that Matilda the Musical did not win. Wicked leaves me cold.
I did not see the Wicked on the West End, but there's no way for me to see it because when I'm in London, I have to go and see Billy :)
---
István

Return to “Chat about Billy Elliot the Musical - London”