A Decidedly Dissenting View

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

A Decidedly Dissenting View

Post by ERinVA »

In this editorial article about Billy Elliot as it celebrates the 10th Anniversary, Patrick Marmion opines the following:
Like all myths, Billy Elliot is a story that creates not only new ways of seeing the world, but also ignorance and denial of other ways of seeing it. Wolf’s deeper analysis is meant to remain hidden so that, as Lytton Strachey might have said, ‘happiness can be the perpetual possession of being well deceived’. In this instance, saying the king has no clothes is a species of thoughtcrime. It is time to acknowledge the cynically exploitative, wilful self-delusion that lies at the centre of this seemingly genial and benign piece of harmless entertainment we call Billy Elliot. Like Coca-Cola it gives you a buzz in the head but rots your teeth. It should be kept well away from children.
http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/ar ... VnWZvm6fIU
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
theatrix15
Audience Member

Re: A Decidedly Dissenting View

Post by theatrix15 »

I don't understand half of it, needed a dictionary but got bored. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though...and this writer certainly has one!
James.R
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by James.R »

theatrix15 wrote:I don't understand half of it, needed a dictionary but got bored. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though...and this writer certainly has one!
I think this more a commentary on the mooted rightward shift of Labour after the election and less about Billy Elliot....
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I came across that article yesterday. Three things came to mind:

-everyone is entitled to their opinion.

-by raising such a strong objection concerning the popularity of Billy Elliot, the author simply amplifies its significance.

-it is just a musical play, not a political force or a sociological phenomena! I suspect that a degree of 'general election remorse/fatigue' is at work here.
Katwoman
Small Boy

Post by Katwoman »

theatrix15 wrote:I don't understand half of it, needed a dictionary but got bored. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though...and this writer certainly has one!
Many years ago my A-level English teacher gave our class advice on how to write a good piece of literary criticism. It involved arguing from various standpoints, giving different sides of the argument and eventually favouring one of the points of view. I have never forgotten it and have always tried to understand the other person's point of view, even when I didn't agree with it.

That article was not a piece of criticism: it was a heavily biased, bile-laden and mean-spirited attack. He has every right to his opinion, but if he had expressed it in a more measured and balanced way, I might have had more respect for his argument.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I never thought of "Billy Elliot" as a story that was pushing a political agenda (despite Lee Hall's remarks at the Birthday show). I certainly don't think the intent was for audiences to walk out of the theater thinking "I want to join a union". It is simply showing the history of what occurred at a certain time and place years ago.

The writer's motives appear to be misguided. By writing this, all he does is call more attention to the story, which will probably backfire on him.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I think the correct response to the piece would be to quote Billy's line in reply to Michael's statement about what a great Christmas it has been. 8-)
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

The writer's motives appear to be misguided. By writing this, all he does is call more attention to the story, which will probably backfire on him.
Exactly the point I tried to make.

When 'one doth protest' in matters such as this, the maxim provided by the much-admired Queen Mother seems to provide wise advice:

"Never complain. And never explain."

This person showed his bias, and did not convince in his argument. Hence: Epic fail.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

To me what's important about Billy is how many youngsters over the world have had that chance to make their dreams come true and to further their careers on stage, thanks to the production, reading that type of tripe! makes my blood boil.
Borrobil
Ballet Girl

Post by Borrobil »

Firstly: if this is Wolf's review it is a little cutting in parts, but the intro and ending are not bad, and it doesn't say BETM wouldn't be a success and even supports the concepts and dancing. At least you can see he has seen the show, and he shows that his views are based on his valid experience. http://variety.com/2005/legit/markets-f ... 200525931/

Secondly: Matt Wolf is forgiven as he did this interview recently with Ruthie. (which may have been posted before) http://london.broadway.com/buzz/180547/ ... her-heart/

As for the article . To agree with Kport. When someone who doesn't like the show particularly, is prepared to write about it ten years on, this is an achievement in itself, and shows its still relevant.

I think this guy only sees certain layers which fit his experience. The idea of having conflicting layers of ideals depending on which character's eyes you are looking through at that moment, is to make you ask questions. If he expects a jolly musical with all the answers, this isn't it.
~ Paul ~

Return to “Chat about Billy Elliot the Musical - London”