The Burberry Festive Film — Celebrating 15 Years of Billy El

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Burberry Festive Film — Celebrating 15 Years of Billy El

Post by ERinVA »

We had no less than 3 threads about this--two in General Chat, and one in Chat About London. I have merged the three threads into the London one.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Bridget40
Tall Boy

Post by Bridget40 »

I love Billy Elliot, but I don't think that John Lewis are going to lose any sleep over this Burberry advert are they? It's just not very festive is it? In fact, if this is the final advert they are going to run, I find it to be very uninspired. That's a shame because as we all know....... Billy Elliot The Musical is the personification of inspiration!

Perhaps It would have been a better idea to feature one of the very talented boys currently playing the role at The VPT. Maybe this would not have got the same publicity (In rags such as The Daily Mail) as using a boy whose only claim to fame is being a child of famous parents though. Are there any lengths The Beckhams will not go to to keep their publicity machine rolling on.

What makes me laugh is that next week Posh Spice will be complaining about her children not having any privacy! :lol:
Sheepdog
Tall Boy

Post by Sheepdog »

... better idea to feature one of the... boys currently playing the role at the VPT...
Crossed my mind too, as a supporter of the show and of the kids there... but then I asked myself if supporting the show or selling clothes was the point of the ad. Also, by leaving the "real" Billys out, the designers avoid confusion- EVERYONE in the ad is NOT part of the current show. This isn't the musical endorsing Burburry, it is a nod to the past.
... I don't think that John Lewis are going to lose any sleep over this Burberry advert are they?
Who can fathom why companies spend what they do on advertising... but I did think that the "bouncing on bed" theme gave the photographer a great chance to show off the overall effect and also details of the clothes, looking "exciting" and "alive".
What makes me laugh is that next week Posh Spice will be complaining about her children not having any privacy!
If the kid can get paid for having a fun photo shoot, more power too him. But... just as with the Billy kids, not forgetting ALL of them... just because they are on the stage doesn't mean that they should not be able to walk down a street without being pestered. I'm not defending Posh... I don't know the context of her complaints... but I am defending the idea that someone in the public eye in one circumstance should not be considered to have invited the public into every corner of their lives.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

EOnline has posted this article about last night's premiere of the 2015 Burberry/Billy ad.

http://www.eonline.com/news/712776/good ... erry-event

International Business Times includes this more informative posting, which includes a video about the thinking behind it:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/burberry-billy ... on-1527176
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Side note: I was in the mall yesterday looking for a gift for a dear friend's 75th birthday, and spotted the Burberry store, which I'd never visited before. The Billy Elliot campaign was enough to make me stop in to see if I could find something for my friend, but I noticed right away there were no prices on any of the scarves I was looking at. An associate quickly appeared and asked me if I needed any help. "Yes, how much are the scarves?" Well, she went into this whole stock answer about two sizes and how to wear them, but she didn't give me an answer, so I asked again, this time clarifying: "Okay, how much for the larger scarf then?"

"The larger one is 650."

We stared at each other a long while in silence, as my face no doubt told her about my shock. She probably took note of the wear on my shirt and khakis as well, and correctly surmised I wouldn't end up buying anything.

I had no idea their prices were so high--so dear, as my dad would say--and my dear friend, 75th birthday or not, was just not worth spending the amount of money that could otherwise help me see 10 shows on Broadway!

So anyway, I fudged a comment about how I'd seriously consider treating myself one day, but in her smile, I could see all the doubt begin to register. I backed out very slowly, as if just being in the store could empty my wallet, as if the security device on the scarf had already connected somehow with my credit card, then quickly made my way to the other side of the mall.

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Isn't it interesting and ironic that Billy is being used as an advertising gimmick for such expensive merchandise, given that Jackie says, "We haven't even got enough for the bus fare to London." :?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

Maybe they are just twisting the knife over Thatcher having won the strike. ;-)
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

ERinVA wrote:Isn't it interesting and ironic that Billy is being used as an advertising gimmick for such expensive merchandise, given that Jackie says, "We haven't even got enough for the bus fare to London." :?
Yes, good point!

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Here is an opportunity, for those in London, to 'star' in the Burberry Billy Elliot tribute advert: ;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/bran ... as-advert/
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

According to this article, the Burberry Billy Elliot advert wins more hearts and minds than the other Christmas adverts that are such a part these days of the British Christmas scene:

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/a ... on-ou.html

The article mentions Sainsbury's Mog advert, which has certainly won the hearts and minds of my young nieces and nephews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuRn2S7iPNU

Return to “Chat about Billy Elliot the Musical - London”