Last London Show

dancingboy
Billy

Re: Last show curtain call

Post by dancingboy »

Katwoman wrote:Great idea, Sheepdog!

I think this is also a good idea. When the orchestra has played the final note of the finale, after the curtain has gone down, couldn't we all shout out "FINISH!"? Those of us who are regulars know that this is a recurring motif in the show, and I think it would be a great tribute to all and sundry (as well as confirming that we have all been paying attention!")

How about we all say ''Don't Go!!''
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Last London Show

Post by kport »

Sir Elton John wants to celebrate with the cast of Billy Elliot as it leaves West End after 11 years

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/thea ... 20876.html
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

..in about 25 hours time all Billys will be unemployed, the Billy who performed the last show, the Billy who performed the show before the last show and the Billy who performed the show before that.... When I get back to London, there won't be any shows left. :cry: I'm scared to go to London and see that empty building....Can't they stay there?
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

thm wrote:..in about 25 hours time all Billys will be unemployed, the Billy who performed the last show, the Billy who performed the show before the last show and the Billy who performed the show before that.... When I get back to London, there won't be any shows left. :cry: I'm scared to go to London and see that empty building....Can't they stay there?
I totally get the references, of course, but just to clarify, lest anyone jump in with a refute, you don't mean the actors will be unemployed, only that they won't be performing in this show at that particular theatre. Then again, of course, they may very well be. Another production may launch by then.

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
andrewcraig
Tony

Re: Last London Show Sir Elton joins cast

Post by andrewcraig »

SunsetFan
Audience Member

Post by SunsetFan »

Well the day has arrived, as this amazing show ends it's current run in London it inevitable that you find your self thinking back over the last 11 years and the phenomenon it became.

When I took my seat in the stalls on May 2005 little did I know that when a certain George Maguire sang those first words 'take me up and hold me gently' that It would take me on journey of 11 years to date.

Those eleven years hold so many memories but five really stand out. Bedsides my first show, the December evening when George Left was the first really special night, meeting in the stage door pub before the show so many forum members for the first time and becoming friends with the families of the originals.

The first birthday show as special event too and to my mind never bettered at the Victoria Palace, it think it was the rotation of the Billy's (as they are doing tonight) and the fact, and it seems hard to comprehend now but the show had actually reached it's first birthday. I remember lots of forum talk about this, but once the ball was rolling the rest as they say is history.

The show took me to the opening night in New York, a true once in a lifetime opportunity. I remember the nerves of Stephen Daldry pacing up and down out side the Imperial looking like death warmed up and praying that reviews came good.

The other really really special event was the Youth Theatre performance, it encapsulated the whole ethos of the show, it gave it a new raw edge that was outstanding.

So today lets celebrate the achievement's of the show, the careers that it launched and the legacy it's leaving. It's taking a break from London - but to my mind Billy will be back in London within the next 20 years absolutely no doubt about it. Just imagine what that opening night is going to be like!, god willing I will see you there.

Sadly I think this is the only 'special' show that I wont be able attend, so I'm relying on you to give it the send off it deserves while it takes a well earned break.

Have a good one everyone!

and thanks Billy!
NIKKIE-NIKKIE
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by NIKKIE-NIKKIE »

Well I can't really believe this day is here.

Billy has been such a huge part of my life over the last 11 years.

I didn't get to see the show at the start (March), I took my mum for her birthday in the April, though I had no idea what it was about or if I would like it, but heard good reports.

I think the point that it really hit me how empowering this show was, was when Billy did Angry Dance, for the first time in my life I actually understood the term "hair on the back of your neck standing up".

After the show I was buzzing, from the performances by all the, musicality, and the dance. I just assumed it was a one off, as next time I would know the show etc etc. but the thing with Billy is the uniqueness of having the cast swap round. The next time I was enthralled by the comic talent of Michael/Debbie.

Every time I went, I came out with thinking that I had been privileged to spend another fantastic evening watching this show.

There is also another side to this show that I cherish, I started to notice familiar faces when I went t the show, and we would start to say hi and then chat.

I then found the forum started up by Lin.

I started to chat to more people, in the UK, then US, then OZ..... and my "Billy Family of Friends" just grew and grew. I am very close to a lot of them still and we have deep friendships still outside the show.

At this point I have to thank all the people that have run the forum in the past and still do.

You have provided not only a wonderful dedication to the show and cast, the forums has been thanked by parents of the cast, as they used it to keep track of what their child performers were up to, especially those who were from foreign shores. The parents were obviously allowed contact at all times but would keep to specific times etc to help with the guys deal with home sickness, the forum was here 24/7.

You will note I have not named the cast members in the first part of this post, and that is quite simply cause too many and also they were all amazing in their own way.

I can't deny that one person did have a little extra spark and I am still in contact with them today. I have seen them grown from a gifted young actor/dancer, to an equally amazing adult both in performance and becoming a fine young man.

Lastly I thought I would note my favourite bits of this amazing time, but just to many.

So one of each:

Forum - Corey Rescue from Oz thread. I laughed till I cried, was amazing long thread and so much fun.

Show - Every single one of them.

See Ya Billy x
Take life with a pinch of salt.....a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your reminiscence, Nikkie. :D It has been quite a journey, hasn't it?

Hope to see you this evening. It should be quite a show!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
NIKKIE-NIKKIE
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Post by NIKKIE-NIKKIE »

ERinVA wrote:Thanks for your reminiscence, Nikkie. :D It has been quite a journey, hasn't it?

Hope to see you this evening. It should be quite a show!

Yes, I will be there tonight, couldn't miss this one, I will have tissues :( x

PS I just thought, someone used to supply me with special Billy tissues for last night, anyone recall who it was ?
Take life with a pinch of salt.....a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Are you referring to tzwicky's "Sniffly Kits"? 8-) :D We haven't seen any of those in a while. :(
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Chat about Billy Elliot the Musical - London”