Richmond Reviews

rob_hanson1979
George

Re: Richmond Reviews

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

StevenKing wrote:I still think when the retooled Express they destroyed the ending...it got little response in LA too. Its hurried at the end and because the dresses are WAY less over the top its coming off as weird and less funny. So no I don't think its an audience thing.
I agree, I miss the old dresses! They were a lot funnier. Plus when the pair of trousers would come out and Michael would get mad at them... hilarious!
Billy Fanatic
Small Boy

Post by Billy Fanatic »

atreyu wrote:Ellen mentioned the audio being problematic on Friday night and a little better in subsequent shows. My rating is still at mediocre on Saturday and just passable on Sunday. Never achieved much "presence" for the music or intimacy for the dialog and I suspect that this combined with the distance between the viewers and performers kept the audience from getting as involved in the show as at the Imperial, for example.
I agree 100% with sound being atrocious at the Saturday matinee and just passable on Sunday. From my seat on Saturday (orchestra E, row K, seat 510) some dialogue was basically inaudible leading to some people around me asking each other "what did he (she) say?" The lack of volume also robbed the music of much of its power and majesty making for a somewhat subdued and somber tone. Sound on Sunday was barely acceptable but with the music still lacking its full power and majesty.

The distance of the performers from the audience was very much problematic and greatly lessened the experience. From my seat in row K the performers appeared much smaller than they did from the first few rows of the mezzanine at the Imperial. It also didn't help that the way the theater is configured that in orchestra K (essentially extreme orchestra left) the stage runs at an angle with the left edge closest to the section. Also in this section the a small portion of stage left is obstructed to the point that initially Billy and Small Boy can't be seen along the left wall of the social hall at the start of Billy's solo singing and his and Small Boy's tentative dancing during "The Stars Look Down" and the entire left half of the "Durham Miners Association" banner is blocked from view. Thankfully, someone was paying attention to staging since items such as the Elliot's kitchen table were placed so that they and the people at them were not blocked from view. (And, no, seats in this section are NOT sold as "obstructed view.")

Based on my experience this weekend, I highly doubt I'll entertain seeing another show at the Landmark Theater; I'm too spoiled by the technical excellence and intimacy of Broadway theaters.
Billy Fanatic
"Normal not to be normal"

BROADWAY - 19:
Billy: Alex K. x3, Giuseppe x1, Jacob x2, Joseph x5, Julian x2, Myles x1, Peter x4, Tade x1
Michael: Cameron x7, Jack x5, Jake S. x2, Neil x5
Debbie: Georgi x5, Lilla x14
Small Boy: Alex D. x10, Seth x3, Zachary x6
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Ben x12, Giuseppe x1, Joseph x2, Julian x2, Myles x1, Tade x1

TOUR - 3
RICHMOND, VA:

Billy: Ben x1, Drew x1, Noah x1
Michael: Jake K. x1, Sam x2
Debbie: Samantha x3
Small Boy: Cal x3
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Jake K. x2, Sam x1
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

As I commented in my first review, BETM should have played the Carpenter Center several blocks away. It would have worked so much better in that space, which is a completely refurbished Loew's movie palace from yesteryear (but nowhere near as large as the Oriental in Chicago, and certainly far more intimate than the camel barn that is the Landmark). I have attended an opera performance at the Carpenter, and the acoustics were very good from where I sat in the balcony.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Final Richmond Show

Drew as Billy
Jake as Michael
Janet Dickinson as Mrs. W.
Susan Haefner as Grandma
Joel Blum again as Dad
Joel Newsome again as George

Because of the Super Bowl, this performance had the lightest attendance of all the performances I saw. I was really happy to see Drew have another go, since I felt that the opening performance, as indicated in my previous review, had several issues that got ironed out a bit over the run. Of course, none of the issues applied to Drew in the first performance. He was a shining star then, and if anything, he upped the wattage for this final performance before the show packed it in to head for Birmingham (and a much more receptive local critic, I see). Let me tell you, that kid can spin, and I do mean spin!

I won’t make this a long review, as I have already said pretty much everything there is to say about the run, the cast, etc. But I do want to tell you about the two young ladies seated next to me. They were both 13 or so, and told me that they study dance with the Richmond Ballet (which, by the way, is an excellent company). I asked if they had any boys in their dance classes, and the girl next to me said yes, they had a couple, one of whom was “really good,” and who, she thought, would be perfect for a Billy. She said he could do “like, four pirouettes in a row.” I just kept my mouth shut. On seeing Drew begin the show, she thought he was around 11, and was surprised when I told her that he was 13. At the end of “Angry Dance,” she commented, “Wow! That was powerful!" Later on in the second act, when we got to “Electricity,” and Drew did his aerial right near the beginning, she exclaimed “Woa!” so I got the impression that she liked Drew’s Billy. It was fun sitting next to her and watching her watch Drew. I would love to know what she and her friend will say to their fellow ballet students when they go to their next class.

So there you have it: The entire run of BETM in Richmond. I had a great time, and I’m now looking forward to Hartford.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I would love to know what she and her friend will say to their fellow ballet students when they go to their next class.
I hope they ask him why he wasn't there!!!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Him? I said "students." I expect that quite a few of their fellow students actually did see the show at one performance or another, and my guess is that the boy in question probably did see the show, but these girls just happened to be the ones I encountered at that final show. They were not part of a group, but with their moms.
Ellen

angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

ERinVA wrote:I asked if they had any boys in their dance classes, and the girl next to me said yes, they had a couple, one of whom was “really good,” and who, she thought, would be perfect for a Billy. She said he could do “like, four pirouettes in a row.” I just kept my mouth shut.
Hahahahahaha I love it!

And thanks for all of your reviews!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:Him? I said "students." I expect that quite a few of their fellow students actually did see the show at one performance or another, and my guess is that the boy in question probably did see the show, but these girls just happened to be the ones I encountered at that final show. They were not part of a group, but with their moms.
I will try to be more accurate when posting.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

rob_hanson1979 wrote:
StevenKing wrote:I still think when the retooled Express they destroyed the ending...it got little response in LA too. Its hurried at the end and because the dresses are WAY less over the top its coming off as weird and less funny. So no I don't think its an audience thing.
I agree, I miss the old dresses! They were a lot funnier. Plus when the pair of trousers would come out and Michael would get mad at them... hilarious!
I think this is a totally accurate assessment of why the ending of "Express" doesn't work well now.
Ellen

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

kport wrote:
ERinVA wrote:Him? I said "students." I expect that quite a few of their fellow students actually did see the show at one performance or another, and my guess is that the boy in question probably did see the show, but these girls just happened to be the ones I encountered at that final show. They were not part of a group, but with their moms.
I will try to be more accurate when posting.
Sorry, kport. I didn't mean to be rude.
Ellen

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”