San Diego Reviews

tankntonic
Ballet Girl

Re: San Diego Reviews

Post by tankntonic »

San Diego mini Billython…
The lure of a really boring conference brought me to sunny San Diego last Tuesday.
Wow, I was so surprised to discover that Billy Elliot was in town this week. (Luckily, I bought tickets a couple of months ago)
The Theatre: located in the San Diego Civic Center, it is very nice on the inside. The outside is slightly worn looking, on a nice courtyard with a big fountain. Unfortunately, the local homeless population have adopted the courtyard as their own and the results are obvious. They were moved across the street before the show, but I was a bit nervous walking back to my hotel late at night. It’s a theatre with no center aisle and many seats across. The San Diego theatre patron it seems is a late theatre goer, because on all three nights folks were shuffling across the way after the performance started; on Tuesday night, they were still coming in during Grandma’s song.
Tuesday night was Drew’s turn to shine with Sam playing Michael. Shine they did, Drew is just amazing, natural athlete combined with an expressive dance ability, very serious about his craft, yet seems to be lots of fun to be around. (yes, I get all this from Instagram). What a fun and entertaining night at the theatre.
Favorite bit was B to B, world class rope jumping and an AWESOME piano flip.
Note: I really like Kilty Reidy’s take on Mr. Braithwaite, not too over the top, but hilarious.
Wednesday-Mitchell and Jake….even though this is my third time, it’s still a surprise when Rich drags Mitchell out at the first of the show, he is just so small. But he definitely packs a lot of talent in a small frame. It’s sometimes hard to believe how well he plays this part. Favorite part tonight was angry dance, lots of screaming and angst.
When the kids came onstage for the opening of the second act, Mitchell seemed to be slightly uncomfortable, I sensed that something wasn’t right. He did dream ballet flawlessly, but in the scene in the Union hall where Tony and Dad fight, Billy is thrown to the ground, and when he stands…it’s not Mitchell, it’s Noah. Noah finished the show without a hitch, of course, including a fantastic Electricity with a bit of new acro added. The switch was so seamless, that the people beside me didn’t even notice.
On Thursday it was Noah and Sam . The highlight for me was Express, these two guys have developed such chemistry, and it’s so apparent that they are enjoying themselves that it makes for a really entertaining routine.
Drew, Mitchell, and Noah…wow, I hate to think this may be my last chance to see them. Not to mention Ben , who I missed on this trip, who has had such a wonderful Billy career.
Did I mention Drew’s awesome piano flip ??
One other thing….this group of ballet girls is just fantastic, so much fun. There is one girl who is so tiny, wish I knew her name, but she makes Mitch look big ! At the end of finale, she stands next to the Michael in the chorus line-Sam and Jake are both way too tall to put their’ arms on her shoulder. She is a good two feet below them, she is just the cutest, and absolutely no problem “following the others”.
Right…now I just need to figure out a way to get to Hartford..
David
alexandre
Small Boy

Post by alexandre »

tankntonic wrote:San Diego mini Billython…
The lure of a really boring conference brought me to sunny San Diego last Tuesday.
David
Lol, are we at the same conference?! :lol:
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

While this isn't really a review, while in San Diego Broadway World TV did a "behind the scenes tour" of the show. The video of that visit can be found here:

http://sandiego.broadwayworld.com/artic ... o-20130509

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”