Sao Paulo Reviews

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sao Paulo Reviews

Post by porschesrule »

According to this video post on Instagram by Grant Minard, all three Billys danced in the Finale for tonight's final show:

http://instagram.com/p/dLZe2xkvc3/
louisv
Audience Member

Re: Sao Paulo, Brazil

Post by louisv »

I just came back from the Credicard Hall, where I saw the 2 final performances (a total of 9 shows during the Brazilian run). They were very emotional. Drew and the actress playing the mother even shared a hug after the Letter at the ending. And the boys called each other by name when Billy and Michael were saying goodbye ("See you, Jake" - "Yeah, see you, Drew" / "See you, Cameron" - "Yeah, see you Mitchell").

On the final Finale, the three Billys joined in - but Drew watched the first half from the audience, and was seated right behind me! He is the sweetest! Mitchell was crying so hard during the Finale... At least, in the beginning. Also, before the final performance, during the announcement of tonight's cast, we were told this was their last performance in a 3 year run.

The audience really enjoyed the show - I think three weeks was enough to create a small fanbase, and many people that attended the closing night had seen the show before. Plus, I also met Lightman7 yesterday, and we ran into each other again today. It was really nice!
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

porschesrule wrote:According to this video post on Instagram by Grant Minard, all three Billys danced in the Finale for tonight's final show:

http://instagram.com/p/dLZe2xkvc3/
This was great to see. I love the triple aerials (one for each of the three Billys) just before their final bows. :D
:/
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

:cry: It's finished. What a great run. I want to give a very BIG "thanks" to our new Brazilian friends louisv and kadu for being our eyes and ears in Sao Paulo. It's wonderful to have you as members of this forum. Please stay and help us keep it going strong. A special surprise was to have our own world traveler Lightman7 there to represent us at the final shows.
Lola
Tall Boy

Post by Lola »

Thanks everyone for the reviews of the Sao Paulo shows! It's great to hear the Brazilians loved Billy Elliot and now we know the show can work in a country with another language than English. I still hope they will make a European Tour someday.

But now - I just can't believe the tour is over...
kadu
Small Boy

Post by kadu »

Thanks guys!

It was a pleasure sharing my thoughts and experiences with show. I wish I could have seen it more than twice, but I'm still a student and my budget is quite limited hahaha

Glad to hear they had a great closing for the show!
Lightman7
Small Boy

Post by Lightman7 »

OK here goes day two. What an experience.

It was great to meet up with louisv from this forum! The audiences have all been very appreciative and responsive - absolutely amazing considering the show was done in English! And the turn out was excellent too!

I got to take several cast photos at the hotel (all with permission) before they left for the theater. Then I sat with Jake and Cameron's dad's during the afternoon performance, and then, back at the hotel after the final performance, was invited to eat with the parents (with the kids at the next table and darting all over). I can't emphasize enough how gracious and nice the entire cast/crew/parents have been to the token US fan here.

What, you want to hear about the shows? OK. ( I will probably be amending this post because I probably can't remember all the little details right now, and I'm short on time before my hotel check out).

Sunday afternoon was Drew/Jake/Cameron

Another great performance by Drew and Jake. Drew is an excellent Billy and his Electricity was amazing.

Mum had a slight loss of composure during the final letter scene.

At both performances it was "go practice your ones and two's" today for the missing punch bag.

For the final performance it was Mitchell/Cameron/Jake - and there were lots of subtle things going on.

Mitchell ripped everyone heart out from the first Letter scene - he was sniffling and trying to control his emotions before Mrs. W even started reading the letter. With his face on the jumbotron you could tell he was struggling to control his emotions, but it worked great with the scene. He had a tough time again when Rich Hebert sand Deep into the ground, and at the final letter scene, and in the finale.

Mum again got a bit emotional again in the letter scene.

When Mitchell and Cameron raced to put on their tap shoes they tied (even though they didn't really). That was a nice touch.

All the men in the cast yelled "Sing out Tracy" in "Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher". The tank didn't fire anything.

When Rich Hebert sang, he actually started to sing "Big Spender" before breaking off and singing "Deep into the Ground"!

At both shows the Billys and Michaels used their real names to "say see ya". All three Billy's were in costume and danced the finale (My profile picture is from the 2.0 finale, and obviously most of those Billy's were in street clothes, but on stage - it was great to see today's in costume).

When the orchestra (which was 100% from the US - no locals) got its bow, it fired back with a full ovation (if you don't know, instrumentalists applaud by stamping their feet) to the cast!

And at the very end, the translation screens read "Billy Elliot Rocks!" - I couldn't agree more.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Lightman7 wrote:All the men in the cast yelled "Sing out Tracy" in "Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher". The tank didn't fire anything.

When Rich Hebert sang, he actually started to sing "Big Spender" before breaking off and singing "Deep into the Ground"!

And at the very end, the translation screens read "Billy Elliot Rocks!" - I couldn't agree more.
These are my favorite notes, very cool twists! Loved your reviews, Lightman7, and everyone else's too, thank you so much for taking the time to write it all out for us who could not be there!!! Very much appreciated!!!

Sean
kadu
Small Boy

Post by kadu »

Thanks for the review, Lightman7

I loved the little details you mentioned! I wish I could've seen the final show... :cry:
Lightman7
Small Boy

Post by Lightman7 »

kadu wrote:About the translation... that is VERY tricky... there are things that simply can't be translated literally, either because there is no equivalent in Portuguese or because it has a different connotation in Portuguese. I think they did the best they could.
I didn't mean to imply the translators did anything wrong - I know translating between two languages is fraught with peril and there are many things that have no equivalent in the other language. It's just a bummer that the audience couldn't experience all the subtleties.

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”