Latest news from Victoria Street

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Latest news from Victoria Street

Post by kport »

tzwicky-

I was headmaster of a school whose principle building was a Grade 2* Georgian home of siginificant importance. If we needed to alter a wall to install more loos in order to comply with OFSTED regulations, we had to apply to English Heritage for permission.

If a wall, a ceiling or even a weather vane were damaged, we would have to replace it like-for-like.

If (heaven forbid) the ceiling at the VPT collapsed, the theatre would have to replace it like-for-like , or better, according to EH's rulings.

I would not be surprised if even the appalling loo arrangement under the ticket office were protected by an EH dictate!

The Underground is a doddle. If you are over in May, I will show you how easy it is! I cut my teeth on the Boston T - at least there, if you didn't know where to get off, you kept going around in circles - as this song says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP1bvY7IqZY
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I have held his hand on the underground, with limited success.... ;) :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

kport wrote: The VPT will be like St Patrick's Cathedral or St Thomas' Church across Fifth Avenue - two venerable building from an earlier time, dwarfed by modern high risers. If anything, they will stand out all the better amongst the anonymity of relentless glass and concrete.
Another - albeit "old grouch" - school of thought is: how about building the new construction to fit in with the existing neighborhood ? That would mean a more classic design of red brick, Greek columns, etc. which hearken back to a more creative style of architecture. The glass and concrete structures - while exuding a sleek, 21st century modern look - are indeed a sea of anonymity and sameness. The older buildings do stand out, but appear to be on the verge of being "swallowed up" by the huge new skyscrapers. See the Albert Pub for another example: http://www.pubs.com/images/AlbertSW1H0N ... w1_ext.jpg
tzwicky
George

Royal agreement .........

Post by tzwicky »

Ummmmmm, I think Prince Charles (official title may differ ... check your listings and your Commonwealth status) agrees with the whole glass and metal versus red brick argument. On the one hand, it seems like a bit of stuffy personality peeking though the Royal veneer, but in this case, as the people at Parker Bros. say, "I heartily agree."

No better example of the most uninspired little plain office building abutted the backside of the VPT. Elliot House was just dismal from every angle. I wonder if anyone snatched off the building name plate before the place became rubble? But the bank building just across Allington Street was a spectacular latter-dated edifice with columns and bricks and mortar and the marble wall shelf (until they made it unusable to BETM fans with that added railing which made leaning against it all you could manage).

tzwicky
Borrobil
Ballet Girl

Post by Borrobil »

Can't see it ending up worse than it was, the buildings around, apart from the pubs were pretty uninspiring for a main entry for people to London, and tended to draw undesirables you'd have to agree.

As for Charlie, I recon he had his say, if you look at the roof angles they are designed precisely to be obscured by the tree line in the gardens of the house of HRH Charlie's Mum (Dei Gra. Reg. Fid Def) so they cannot be seen or see into the house or most of the gardens.
~ Paul ~
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Here are the latest views of the Victoria Street works. Weather was a bit dull but at least the rain stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRlzH5e0It8

Pat
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

My thoughts while watching that were: I'm glad I was there back when it was how it used to be. Hard to believe that so many of my pre-show eateries - Duke of York Pub, Bella Italia, Pizza Express, and The Stage Door Pub - are all a thing of the past and are being replaced by modern steel and concrete buildings. With my luck, Wagamama at Cardinal Place will be the next to go.
tzwicky
George

Studio-quality video of why HRH Charles is so angry these da

Post by tzwicky »

Pat,

I gotta figure out why I have to check for new vids from you when I am subscribed.

But, whoa!!!!!!!! That is breathtaking lenswork.

I watched just a few weeks ago I thought, but none of that work in the demo blocks was started. They were still doing the pilings.

Now, I can compare those drawings of the area to what is actually going up, and I agree with HRH Prince Charles, all the wacky angles and the glasswork that can be seen is just jarring.

And the roof and wall of the DOY is missing. I hope they find it somewhere.

Keep up with these please. I can't get over till well into spring and I was all crazed that I would miss it going up. But you've solved that totally.

Add "historian" to your list of accomplishments!

tzwicky
jmh2014
Tall Boy

Post by jmh2014 »

I don't know if these have been posted before, but they are the planning application & approval documents for the VPT renovations.

http://www3.westminster.gov.uk/newcsu/P ... reet...pdf

http://idoxpa.westminster.gov.uk/online ... 796174.pdf

Short summary of these are that permission was granted on 22/12/2009 for extension of the theatre to include a new flytower, larger stage & backstage facilities, new seating & ventilation, improved front of house, toilets & bar facilities and lifts to all floors.

The key point is that none of this can start until the Victoria Station upgrade has been completed and the additional land required for the works is available to the theatre. At the time of the application, the estimated date for this is sometime during 2016. From this date they have 3 years to start the renovations.
tankntonic
Ballet Girl

Post by tankntonic »

Here is a video published last December which gives a look at the expansion of Victoria Station.

One quick drive by of VPT.

Hope this isn't posted already...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7tB55p8Nd8

Return to “Ticketing, Theatre, and Visitor information - London”