Latest news from Victoria Street

patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: Latest news from Victoria Street

Post by patc »

Here is the latest video of the works around the VPT as of 8th October 2015.

https://youtu.be/xnKtLl6zYDY

Pat
tzwicky
George

Tuesday, Dec. 8 pedestriam access to VPT extremely limited!

Post by tzwicky »

I haven't a clue if this situation will be remedied by showtime tonight, but as of 4:30 PM today, the ONLY way to walk into the VPT was through the Bressenden Place side of the theatre.

The opposite side access to the theatre, the easy one from the train station, is closed because of a digging job going on. It looks limited in scope, so they might have closed the route just so the digging and hauling machine could have safe access. They might even have removed the machine, in which case the entrance on that side would be able to be reopened.

I took no note of the extra caution signs in front of the VPT an hour ago then realized they said, "Only BETM staff/personnel permitted" and that was right at the ticketing lobby doors.

Again, it would be my guess they plan to reopen that side entrance since even the other signs on the diversion refer to Bressenden Place as a secondary entrance. Who knew.

It was a small excavation rig, so cross your fingers. It may be open, soon.

Meanwhile as of 4:30 PM, they had not changed the cast sign in the lounge area.

Reporting from Victoria, this is ...

tzwicky
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

tzwicky wrote:I haven't a clue if this situation will be remedied by showtime tonight, but as of 4:30 PM today, the ONLY way to walk into the VPT was through the Bressenden Place side of the theatre.

The opposite side access to the theatre, the easy one from the train station, is closed because of a digging job going on. It looks limited in scope, so they might have closed the route just so the digging and hauling machine could have safe access. They might even have removed the machine, in which case the entrance on that side would be able to be reopened.

I took no note of the extra caution signs in front of the VPT an hour ago then realized they said, "Only BETM staff/personnel permitted" and that was right at the ticketing lobby doors.

Again, it would be my guess they plan to reopen that side entrance since even the other signs on the diversion refer to Bressenden Place as a secondary entrance. Who knew.

It was a small excavation rig, so cross your fingers. It may be open, soon.

Meanwhile as of 4:30 PM, they had not changed the cast sign in the lounge area.

Reporting from Victoria, this is ...

tzwicky
. This is quite a regular occurrence these days. By 6 pm today any barriers had been removed and access was as usual across the traffic lights and then up to the Box Office doors.
tzwicky
George

Post by tzwicky »

dancingboy wrote:This is quite a regular occurrence these days. By 6 pm today any barriers had been removed and access was as usual across the traffic lights and then up to the Box Office doors.
Indeed, I stopped in to see the work tonight and speculate that it will be in a digging phase again tomorrow since they left some equipment in their hole.

And I walked into the side lounge area as the mobs were headed out to check the board and see that I missed Euan.

Reminder to me: Must tell Billy Ghods I need to see Euan at least once on Thursday or Saturday.

tzwicky
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Considering how long the construction and inconvenience around the theatre has been going on and the fact that they continue to draw good crowds says a lot for the continued popularity of the show. Makes you wonder how many more people would be attending if they had the convenient underground station near Cardinal Place finished and all the rest of the new construction near the theatre was complete. Hopefully that scenario will happen at some point.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

I can understand the rebuilding of the Underground Station, because it was a cramped old hole, I know what a difference it made to Kings Cross, St. Pancras when that was rebuilt. But that glass monstrosity build on Victoria St, makes my blood boil, the whole area has lost its character, you used to have Chinese, Italian restaurants etc plus the pubs nearby in which people went to before or after the theatre shows, also after work as well, I understand the area needed cleaning up a bit but that's over the top for me.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Barry Appleby wrote:I can understand the rebuilding of the Underground Station, because it was a cramped old hole, I know what a difference it made to Kings Cross, St. Pancras when that was rebuilt. But that glass monstrosity build on Victoria St, makes my blood boil, the whole area has lost its character, you used to have Chinese, Italian restaurants etc plus the pubs nearby in which people went to before or after the theatre shows, also after work as well, I understand the area needed cleaning up a bit but that's over the top for me.
Agreed. While I think the rebuilt underground station will be a positive change, I quite liked the area the way it used to be. I fear the VPT will look completely out of time and place when all the modern glass boxes are finished - much like the quaint and historic Albert pub looks like it's been plopped down in the wrong century, further on down the street.
tzwicky
George

Little Ben graces Victoria once again!

Post by tzwicky »

Dunno if anyone else has thought to mention this, but Little Ben has been reinstalled to his rightful place in the traffic island in front of the Victoria Palace Theatre.

He looks beautiful. Totally stripped down to the metal, repainted faithfully with plenty of gold paint and a lovely new weather vane on top. It is just a sight of wonder.

Ben was a big part of Billy Elliot The Musical at the Victoria Palace Theatre for many years before he was moved for his own safety.

Many BETM fans used Little Ben as a rally point when waiting for others going to the show. Lots of group shots were made, even before selfies became endemic.

I'm so glad to have seen the new Ben back where he belongs.

The VPT box office person said he'd been around for about two weeks.

tzwicky
PLuto
Audience Member

Post by PLuto »

Yes, Little Ben is back. I have noticed it three weeks ago when I was in London.

tzwicky
George

Little Ben is free of impediments to photos!!!!!!!!!!

Post by tzwicky »

Little Ben is free of impediments to photos!!!!!!!!!!

Dunno exactly when he was set free of fencing and barricades, but as of Sunday night, April 3, Little Ben is free.

Group photos are again possible, pictures of BillyManiacs in TuTus, stuff like that.

I will certainly take credit for the final cleanup as I think I mentioned this possibility a week or so ago. (pat, pat, pat on my back)

The Victoria Works people even left a solid wall behind Little Ben that some enterprising BETM company person could use to hang the Red Carpet Backdrop. PR peeps so love these things lately.

I think that by next Saturday, with some much needed Spa days ahead, I can personally be ready for my closeup, Mr. DeMille.

tzwicky

Return to “Ticketing, Theatre, and Visitor information - London”