Hotels & Dining - London

Borrobil
Ballet Girl

Re: Hotels & Dining - London

Post by Borrobil »

I've never been inside; but the Goring Hotel has a tenuous link to the BE story, in that some of the TUC delegates stayed there, and potentially critical negotiations were held there in the weeks before the end of the strike. (They failed as Scargill wanted to play silly b's and seriously annoyed everyone).
~ Paul ~
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

The Goring was a favourite of Maggie Thatcher's: she lived nearby and was a frequent habitue, often cited as having a favourite table to eat and entertain guests:
So we have opted instead to meet somewhere Thatchery: "her table" at the Goring Hotel in London, around the corner from her house in Chester Square. As we puff our napkins I ask him what effect she had on other diners when she ate here. "On one occasion she got up to leave at the end and they all started clapping," he says. She told him she found it "kind but embarrassing", but he could tell she was secretly pleased.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... biographer

It is the last major London hotel still owned by the family that founded it. It was, and is, the sort of venue where 'political business' is conducted, in a genteel and rather fin de siecle manner.

I am rather fond of it, for that.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Looks like a very nice place, although out of my price range, I'm afraid. Surprised I don't remember seeing it before.

I thought for a second that it was the hotel that's literally inside the same building as Victoria Station, but then realized that that one is called The Grovesnor (http://www.guoman.com/en/hotels/united_ ... index.html). Has anyone here ever stayed at that one before ? I never have personally, although the prices are considerably cheaper than The Goring . . . . along with the added convenience of not having to step outside into bad weather if you're catching a train or the underground.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Isn't it where Kate stayed the night before her wedding to Prince William?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Indeed, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, and the Middleton family stayed there in the days leading up to the Royal Wedding, when she was known as Kate Middleton.
In 2011 Catherine Middleton and her family were based at the hotel for the days surrounding her wedding to Prince William.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goring_Hotel

The Goring Hotel was also a regular favourite of the Queen Mother, according to the Wikipedia entry linked above:
The Queen Mother was a regular at The Goring and it was the location for her last public appearance.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

The long term renovations at Victoria Station have almost finished and a good range of eateries are there now. Main ones are:

Prezzos
Frankie & Bennys (The "Papal Cafe"...work it out :D)
Café Rouge
Ed's Easy Diner
McDonalds
KFC
Fresh Pizza Company

plus

Costa Coffee
Caffé Nero
Subway
Pret a Manger

Pat
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

patc wrote:Frankie & Bennys (The "Papal Cafe"...work it out :D)
LOL! :lol:

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

angelenroute wrote:
patc wrote:Frankie & Bennys (The "Papal Cafe"...work it out :D)
LOL! :lol:
Now, I must Confess, there is a restaurant that will Curia my hunger pangs!
michael breckon
Audience Member

Post by michael breckon »

patc wrote:The long term renovations at Victoria Station have almost finished and a good range of eateries are there now. Main ones are:allwa

Prezzos
Frankie & Bennys (The "Papal Cafe"...work it out :D)
Café Rouge
Ed's Easy Diner
McDonalds I all ways look forward to your reviews, and comments,well done, keep it going patc.
KFC
Fresh Pizza Company

plus

Costa Coffee
Caffé Nero
Subway
Pret a Manger

Pat
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

:?:
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Ticketing, Theatre, and Visitor information - London”