John Peter Viernes--Billy: Chicago, Toronto and US Tour

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

John Peter Viernes--Billy: Chicago, Toronto and US Tour

Post by ERinVA »

A fourth Chicago Billy, J P Viernes, was at the stage door in NY last night. Congratulations, J P!!

http://www.hmbreview.com/articles/2008/ ... t?vbf=4890
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: J P Viernes

Post by porschesrule »

Given all the hoopla about the announcing of the Chicago Billys in September, the photo ops and interviews etc, this announcement comes sort of out of left field.

But, on the other hand, I give credit to the creative team for their realising, through long experience, that a three man rotation is perilous given the physical demands of the role. Four seems to be the best number. Originally their fallback was an understudy for the role, but obviously that thinking has now changed.

I would have loved to have been the proverbial "fly on the wall" in the sessions that led to the decision to go with a fourth Billy at this juncture rather than later. I'd like to think that they looked at the Tommy Batchelor situation, where even after he became a full fledged Billy, he was often the "forgotten Billy", living in the shadow of the original three. If that did, indeed, enter into their thinking, I heartily applaud them for another example of how this company really does seem to be sensitive to both the physical and emotional needs of their cast, especially the younger ones.

In any case, from what I've heard and read in a brief time about JP Viernes, it would seem the talented casting staff led by Nora Brennan has again come up with another very talented young performer for the role. Godspeed, JP, and enjoy your experience as Billy Elliot.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Dancer
Ballet Girl

Post by Dancer »

I'm sure the production team had always planned on there being a fourth Billy, understudy or not, and it seems a shame that J.P. wasn't announced at the same time as the original three. Why wait three months to introduce him unless, of course, the fourth Billy had only been chosen within the last few days?
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

Dancer wrote:I'm sure the production team had always planned on there being a fourth Billy, understudy or not, and it seems a shame that J.P. wasn't announced at the same time as the original three. Why wait three months to introduce him unless, of course, the fourth Billy had only been chosen within the last few days?
They might have their eye on the Chicago awards for 2010 and there is a precedent for 3 Billys at all other shows with extras added later.

The three nominated would be eligible for nominating for awards.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Weren't there four Billys named from the outset in Sydney? Rhys, Rarmian, Lochlan and Nick? The only reason Nick was not in the rotation at the beginning was that he broke his wrist right before the show opened. But that show opened with four Billys on its program, not three. I even have an Oz souvenir program with the four of them pictured at the barre, as there are three at the barre in the photos on the front of both the London and Broadway programs.
Ellen

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

The way this is rolling out seems like deja vu (re: the Broadway experience). More and more it seems that JP Viernes is going to be the understudy to the original three Billys announced in September.

I suspect that what it all comes down to is contracts in the US (as opposed to London or Australia). We know from the Broadway situation with Tommy Batchelor there are certain rules governed by contract that specify the differences between full fledged roles and understudies for those roles. From everything I've read, the Actors Equity rules on Broadway apply to touring shows in the US as well.

As most of us on the forums agree, if for whatever reasons the Billy understudy is not be included in publicity/photo ops, interviews, personal appearances and the like, it is not a good thing from the perspective of the understudy. It makes him feel like the 4th wheel on a tricycle.

Let's hope the creative team is as inclusive of him, if he is the understudy, as possible. The photo op thing in NYC the other night is a good first step.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Still one would have to admit that things worked out well for Tommy in the end. He goes to Chicago as the veteran Billy, and will be part of all the pre-show publicity and glory there.
:/
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

There are equity and non equity tours...no idea which Billy is(Im assuming its an Equity tour though). I wont go into the irony if it wasnt a union tour. :lol:

Steven
billyforlife
Tall Boy

Post by billyforlife »

lol, I love how Tommy and Guiseppe jump/hop off camera.
ERinVA wrote:Weren't there four Billys named from the outset in Sydney? Rhys, Rarmian, Lochlan and Nick? The only reason Nick was not in the rotation at the beginning was that he broke his wrist right before the show opened.
That is correct, all four were named Billy from the start together and they all appeared for interviews and pre-show publicity. This turned out well when there were still 3 Billy's left after Nick was injured right before opening, although then Lochie (I think it was him) was injured as well and they needed to bring Corey in. I agree that having four Billys is much better than three, and if that's what they've decided for Chicago then that's great but I only hope that JP gets the same amount of publicity as the other 3 boys. I really don't see the point in wasting the talent that any Billy undoubtedly has on an "understudy" when they can all understudy for each other and perform equally. At least Tommy would understand :| .
"She must have been a very special woman..."
"No, she was just me mam."

Melbourne: Josh D, Josh WG
Broadway: Peter, Dayton
London: Harris, Redmand, Ali x3

Return to “Cast - N. American/International Tour”