Drew Minard - Billy

fifemajor
Small Boy

Re: Drew Minard - Billy

Post by fifemajor »

I had the good fortune to see Drew in his school production of "13." I saw the last performance on Saturday evening at the Professional Performing Arts School in NYC. This is a public NYC school that specializes in the performing arts. I must say I was a bit taken aback by the facility. It is an old building and when you enter the metal doors, you enter into the cafeteria. The main theater is 2 stories down, and has a small stage. The seats are wooden backed and there are columns on the sides.

This was no detriment to the performance, however. Drew starred in the leading role of "Evan" and was on stage throughout the performance, except for a few short scenes. He and the entire cast are to be commended in putting on such a professional performance, with energy, comic relief, and good choreography. Drew opened the show with the title song "13." The show is basically about the challenges that young adolescents face in growing up.

As a middle school teacher, I could identify with all of the issues portrayed. Kids are thinking about being accepted, who likes them, and trying to be popular, etc. Evan's world is turned upside down when his parents get a divorce in the summer before his 13th birthday. He lived in NYC and his mom moved to a small town in Indiana, where he has to make all new friends. His focus is having an incredible party for his Bar Mitzvah, and he will do almost anything to get the popular kids to come to his party. In the interim, he hurts two of his friends who were genuine, because they were not accepted by the popular group. In the end, Evan realizes what true friendship is, and apologizes to the two friends that really mattered to him.

The play has lots of upbeat music particularly relevant to teenagers. The cast consisted of 7th and 8th grade students, who made the portrayal very authentic. They showed lots of energy and delivered their performance with professionalism.

Drew did a great job, as one would expect, in his acting, singing, and dancing. I was thrilled when he did his signature Billy Elliot pirouettes and flips during the bows.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I was in complete awe of Drew as Billy, so it was with great disappointment I realized I missed Drew's recent NYC shows. I've been off the map lately, my mind pulled elsewhere, but even so, I'm surprised I let myself miss both shows!!! Glad others were able to go, and do hope to see him perform again in the near future!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks, fifemajor, for your review. "13" is a great show for middle school students to perform. I was lucky enough to see it at the Jacobs Theatre, across the street from the Imperial, while in NY for the previews of BETM. Corey Snide was the alternate Evan in that production, but I was not able to see him perform the role.

Besides hosting Drew as part of its student body at the moment, and Ben Cook in the past, PPAS has another BETM connection, in that it was the location of the publicity launch for the Broadway production of the show. I think Drew has picked a good place to study his craft.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Happy 14th Birthday Drew! :D
:/
michaelJ
Tall Boy

Post by michaelJ »

Drew announced some exciting news. He will be in the year round JKO program at the American Ballet Theater. Congratulations Drew and a belated Happy Birthday!

http://instagram.com/p/q5DuGHwxyE/

:D :D :D
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Good news, indeed.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

x
:/
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

It is hard to believe that it was one year ago today that the Tour ended, in Sao Paolo.

http://instagram.com/p/r2HhV9wx1o/?modal=true
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Though the photo shown in that link to Drew's Instagram page was taken several months before Sao Paulo (as neither Ben nor Noah were in Brazil), probably in Las Vegas in May of 2013, the last time those four were together.
tankntonic
Ballet Girl

Post by tankntonic »

Drew has announced that he will be performing on the Jimmy Fallon Tonight show on Friday:

http://instagram.com/p/sfYXVFQx4-/?modal=true

He isn't clear about which Friday, LOL, but I assume it's this week.

Return to “Cast - N. American/International Tour”