"No One Wants A Pit Musician’s Autograph"

For off-topic content
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

"No One Wants A Pit Musician’s Autograph"

Post by LiamM »

Here is an interesting article, "No One Wants A Pit Musician’s Autograph", about the experience of sitting in as an observer in the orchestra pit for Wicked. The author recognizes the importance of pit musicians and the other black-clad people who make things happen behind the scenes.

The article reminded me of the closing of the Toronto production of BETM. Musicians and others came out the stage door wearing black T-shirts with "We can't all be fooken' dancers" on the back.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: "No One Wants A Pit Musician’s Autograph"

Post by kport »

Some of my happiest encounters at shows have been with MDs and the pit musicians. I shall not mention names, but Billy Elliot the Musical has had some very friendly, very approachable musicians, in London and in various venues abroad. I have always noted a warm rapport between the MDs and his or her pit crew; often little jokes would be passed, whether in a word or a glance or a gesture, during the show. You can sense a degree of comradeship probably unlike any other in a show; the knowledge that (but for the MD's bow at the final curtain) their contribution is essential yet their presence is hardly noted. They stoke the fires that keep the ship in motion. I have been in many orchestra pits, and I can assure you that many live up to that title - a pit! Hardly glamorous!

So, if you see one of these people before or after a show, and if it looks as though they are not busy, a brief thank you would not go amiss. These folk are every bit as professional and talented as the cast on stage, and they deserve the occasional tip of the hat. I am sure they will appreciate it.

Return to “General Chat”