Archive Reviews

jen
Miner

Re: Archive Reviews

Post by jen »

More 2006 reviews
Tuesday 12th September 2006

As far as I could tell the only understudy was Phil Snowdon as George.

I was expecting to see Colin but hadn’t seen Matthew so didn’t mind. Went with a friend who had won the tickets great seat row B dress circle. Good opening scene. Loved Matthew’s voice> He looked taller and older than I expected. This could be due to the fact that the size comparison to Shaun was ideal.
Really liked the changes to the breakfast scene. Grandma seemed a lot stronger. Loved the way Billy’s pyjamas were left strewn all over the floor typical boy!. I loved Matthew’s boxing scene. I found the audience were very quick to react to the humour in the show. They were responsive to the emotions as well. Matthew and the ballet girls worked very well together, mind you they did push him around quite a bit. Matthew’s dancing was really good so graceful. Great expressing yourself number. Shaun looked really good in his dress! Definitely of the Brad variety! Didn’t hear one of the jokes but heard the snowballs one. Can’t remember who said which one. Very tearful letter scene at one time I wondered if he was going to get through it ok. Haven’t seen Matthew before so don’t really know if this is normal for Matthew. On several times during the show I felt he was wiping away tears, but I could be wrong. It was a great angry dance I have read a lot about his angry dance and I agree with it all. However he did seem very tired at the end and wondered if we were going to have a switch. Born to boogie was great fun, the audience really enjoyed Phil Snowdon and his various antics. It must be easier for whoever plays George to have a smaller and lighter Billy. This was my first viewing of Sally. At first I wasn’t sure but I warmed to her throughout the show. She is different from Hadyn and Gillian but she puts her own personal role into the show.

During the interval we got talking to a gentleman from San Diego. He was rather confused by what the strike was about. We tried to fill him in about it. However we were telling it from different viewpoints so he might have got a bit confused. He then said he had seen a similar film! We informed him that yes the show was based on the film. Mind you he very kindly offered to buy as an ice cream, he seemed a bit put out when we said no thank you. We did suggest to him that they got a programme sit was very good value and would give him all the background knowledge that he wanted. Mind you I did begin to wonder how the show would translate to Broadway. I wouldn’t really want to see it altered either.

The Christmas party scene went of really well. There was a lot of laughter at the Maggie masks. I did wonder what our American friend was making of this. The winter scene was well done, however there was some laughter in the wrong places. Swan Lake was really good. Matthew is so light he really flew. A great Electricity, I would have loved to have seen Matthew do the flip of the wall. I am really surprised that we haven’t seen it from some of the other boys, as all of them seem really strong with their acrobatics. The letter reprieve was really well done with lots of tears. A really fun finale. I always think it is a shame that some people don’t know what is happening and start to go out. Mind you I think the show was running a bit late, as it was 10.45 before we came out the theatre.

Thursday Evening 19th October 2006

Went with a friend it was a 50th birthday treat from me. Was feeling really rotten with a bad cough and cold. Only the fact that I didn’t want to disappoint her and the tickets were paid for! Made me go. However it was worth it. Went expecting Colin as had been posted not Colin but Matthew the third time I had tried to see Colin then he wasn’t on. However as normal a great show.

Cast
Matthew
Brad
Brooke
Lots of adult alternatives, Gillian Tessa and Phil that I can remember.

It as usual was a great show. Matthew was wonderful, less emotional than my last viewing when he seemed a bit weepy throughout the show. His acting is superb as is his dancing. He seems to have grown since I last saw him about a month ago, his Billy seems older than it was before or it may be just me. Great angry dance and electricity.

Brad has grown up so much since June. Great performance I don’t think his extra height and deeper voice detracted from his performance at all. Lots of comic moments but also great emotional depth. Thought they worked very well together and the age gap really didn’t show. An observation for Alan think Brad has a new dress, at least it is the same one but in a bigger size a longer with room for lots more growth!

Brooke was great her diction is so clear. She and Brad were my first and second Debbie and Michael over a year ago so it is always nice to see them.

The rest of the cast was great as usual and it was a very enjoyable show. Saw show from front of grand circle. Theatre almost full only one or two empty seats that I could see and they were probably no shows.

My friend said several times how great it was and phoned me the next day to thank me and said people at work had asked how she had got on. She said it was great and well worth seeing.

November 14th 2006 forum outing.

It was great to meet so many fans outside the theatre and to get the chance to chat to them beforehand and in the interval. It was as usual a great show and I really enjoyed it. I think I can see what Alan was getting at regarding some members of the cast but I still thought they were all good performances. It is interesting to see that cast growing up and to some extent changing their performances. I only saw Brad a few weeks ago and he has grown and his voice has changed since then. However I felt that this added a new dimension to the role and I don’t feel he is yet too old for the role. It worked particularly well with Leon as he now looks an older teenager. Not sure how the partnership would look with a younger Billy still I will see that on December 2nd. Brooke and Brad were in the first two shows I saw so I will always have a soft spot for them. Leon’s voice is now really maturing and getting really rich. I feel he is always in control of his Billy. A Billy who hides his feelings and only on odd occasions lets it slip. Brooke was a great as ever her diction is always so good and clear. Loved Brad’s joke about the weather and his gloves. I am not sure but I thought Leon’s electricity was different from June 3rd then he seemed to do a different sort of back flip at the end.

I loved Anne’s Grandma hope I have as much energy when I am in my mid 70’s. I still love the show and hope that I will continue to do so. I don’t mange to get along as often as some people, as like to see other things plays as well as musicals. I urge others to do the same there is so much to see there all over the country. Also please don’t forget your local amateur group. There is a lot of talent out there that needs your support. Still BE at the moment still remains the best show I have ever seen and I haven’t tired of it.

Gala evening Wednesday 22nd November 2006

It was great to meet up with a few people beforehand and have a chat. I discovered that I had seen James -234 on the stage and had actually been on an audition panel when he was auditioning he was very good. It was a really packed audience with a great buzz about it. However to me the 1st birthday celebrations had more of a buzz about them. But that was one of the best experiences ever in the theatre. However it was great to see Liam again and it helped to make up for the disappointment of not being able to go to his last night. Great to see a lively party of Billy’s and Michaels up in the grand circle with us. I don’t envy the chaperones job, what one doesn’t think of I am sure the other will and they have to be one step ahead all the time. One Billy was seen pretending to launch something form the upper circle.
I hadn’t seen Liam since June 3rd and he had altered a lot especially his voice. I thought it was particularly good during electricity it sounded so rich the pitch was good for him. It is so different from the OCR. His dancing was as good as ever, however he has now outgrown the part. It was great to see Ryan again I have only seen him once since December and again he seemed so much older no longer a little boy. The sound wasn’t always wonderful in the back of the Grand circle and there were things that I lost completely such as the jokes in express yourself. One thing that I found rather irritating was all the photos being taken during the audition scene. The ushers were dashing around trying to stop it. But it did to me become a real distraction. During the curtain call I have no objections, I was sorry that I had forgotten mine! Despite this I had a great time.

Cast change December 2nd 2006

It doesn’t seem a year ago that I went to see Be for the 4th and 5th time and became completely hooked. Mind you George had sent me rapidly in that direction in September and November of that year. I was in the front of the Grand circle. I was sitting alongside Malcolm and Sarah. One of the ballet girls parents were next to me and Liam and his Mum were on the other side of the aisle. He briefly came to chat to us, a really nice young man.

The show started with Stephen doing his usual goodbye speech. I managed to miss the opening scene as a women arrived late pushed her way all along the row only to find she was in the wrong place. Liam then showed her the right way to go. Didn’t see Brad come on. The show started really well. Shine was great fun Matthew really seemed to be enjoying himself. Express yourself was really good though as usual I missed the jokes. I find that I rarely catch them now. I hadn’t seen the pairing of Brad and Matthew beforehand but to me it worked well. Brad has certainly grown up and his voice has changed a lot however his singing was still great.

I guessed that the letter scene would be really difficult for Matthew he has cried every other time I have seen him do it. I thought he managed extremely well, it would have been so easy for him to lose it completely but he held himself together very well. Noticed the tissue but not Sally handing it to him. I thought he or somebody had placed it in his bag should he need it. He slipped it back in his bag after he had used it. The hug when Sally gave Matthew the tape was very genuine. I like the angry dance more every time I see it all the boys are great. However I do think that George has the edge on them all.

The second half really seemed to fly. The winter scene was so well done. I am sure there were a few of stage tears after it was over. Matthew seemed so small and light in swan lake that he really seemed to fly. Electricity was so good I love the mixture of his Electricity. I am sure that if he had stayed longer he would have done the back flip I am sure that he would have been capable. Mind you I think Leon could do it as well and by all accounts Colin. Mind you a little bird has told me it might be back in soon! Loved Matthew’s expression at the end, when he heard all the applause it was rather bemused. Matthew began to get tearful after the goodbye scene with Sally. But he was still in control. A very genuine hug from Phil after they had packed the case. The letter reprise was very difficult for all. As was the goodbye between Brad and
Matthew. Matthew really seemed to enjoy the curtain call. Expected to see some of the parents on stage and possibly some of the other Billy’s
But guessed it wouldn’t happen when Liam stayed in his seat. Also he had said he was just watching tonight as he wanted to say goodbye to his mates. It could have been that the young cast didn’t want it or not all the parents were able to make it. Or that they have decided to stop it now there are a lot of Billy’s. Whatever it was still a great ending. Could see a lot of the young cast in front of the dress circle. Didn’t see James or George however did see a young lad who looked a bit like a younger George with a stripy rugby/polo shirt on wander past the stage door pub a couple of times with a pretty dark haired girl, however nobody said anything so assume it wasn’t him.

Can’t finish this without giving tribute to Brooke she gave a wonderful performance and I didn’t see her falter at all.

I thought all the young cast managed really well on what must have been a very emotional evening for them especially when you consider how young they all are.
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

2007 reviews.

SATURDAY 20TH JAN MATINEE

Colin
Ryan
Leigh

As I haven’t been able to get tickets for Colin’s last night and have never seen him before I took a calculated gamble and queued for day tickets hoping that I would be in luck. Twice I had gone to a performance thinking it was Colin but each time it was Matthew and once unsuccessfully queued for day tickets for Colin but again with no success. I got there at 9/30 and there was already a small queue thought I should be ok but probably not for row A was right on both counts. However I felt that the first seat in the side of the dress circle was good as you could see well, have sat in the others and they are not good. The time went very quickly and it was nice to chat to fellow forum members then and in the interval. I really enjoyed Colin’s performance I was expecting a wonderful “performance” of top quality and no faults, but somehow a performance and not a real living and entering into the role that I have seen from some of the boys. I think to some extent I was proved correct but not entirely.. Although still quite small I did feel that we were seeing an older portrayal of Billy, his voice is really good and all his dancing fantastic. However I think he has outgrown the role now. The audience were all prepared to enjoy themselves with lots of laughter I think there were quite a few groups in. Probably quite a few first timers as well. To me the whole show seemed to go with a swing right from the beginning. All the big numbers went down well and to me they were as fresh as ever. Still not 100% sure about James as dad will have to see him again to really pass judgement. Express yourself went down really well Ryan seems to have really matured into the role now and I much prefer his more mature interpretation rather than the “little Boy” he first seemed to be. That is probably just me though as I generally prefer the older portrayal from both Billy and Michael. Think it makes the whole thing even more moving as you can really feel for the torment they are going through. Anne was as batty as ever hope she carries on for a long while yet. It was a great show and I was really pleased that I managed to catch Colin at least once. Above all it was great to see how the whole theatre was taken on a roller coaster of emotions and the real buzz everyone left with that always carries on over the road to Victoria train and underground station.

SATURDAY 3RD MARCH MATINEE

When I heard that Layton was doing the matinee I went to the theatre on Weds to try and get a ticket no luck at a sensible price anyway. Then Derek (Yorksdell) posted that he had a ticket for sale, so thanks to him I was able to able to see Layton. It was really interesting to see a Billy in an earlier performance tough I am sure that the majority of the audience had no idea. Cast as follows-
Layton
Shaun
Leyci
As far as I know only understudy was Mr Braithwaite think it was Phil Snowdon.

From the moment that Layton came on it was apparent that we were seeing a much younger Billy, I have never seen a younger portrayal of Billy only Matthew towards the end of his run and to me anyway he appeared older. Matthew had a very clear voice and his singing voice was very pleasant to listen to. Loved the interaction with Leyci who glared at him pushed him but at the same time was really interested in him and attempted to flirt with him- he was having none if this!

Express yourself was a real ball the boys clearly had a wonderful time. It was really nice to have a team matched age and size wise, however I realise this is not always possible.

The letter scene was really emotional with both Layton and Sally at times having difficulty in carrying on. They were still trying to compose themselves during Born to Boogie. However it really went down well with the audience and really twisted their emotions especially after Express yourself. Born to Boogie was great fun and the piano flip went well. It is always good to see different versions of the angry dance and Layton was good.

Maybe Layton is not yet quite as fluid with his Ballet in Swan Lake but the audience and I really enjoyed it I am sure in a few months he will gain confidence. I think street however is more his style, from What I remember I think his dancing style is more like James unlike George who had a real mixture of street and ballet. I grin and smile at the end was wonderful. I always love all the Billy’s’ expressions here because none of them seem to be able to contain their enjoyment and pleasure.

Electricity was great and for me it was wonderful to see the wall flip back in haven’t seen it since George’s last performance in 2005. It is always such a crowd pleaser I remember that was what really amazed my friend
And I when we went for the first time back in September 2005. The letter reprieve was really well done with Layton having to battle with his own emotions. Layton was full of smiles during the finale. I think the whole thing is summed up for me by how much Layton was really having a wonderful time out there. I think Layton must have had some friends in the front row because you could see him from time to time glancing at them and smiling during the applause.

For me it was really interesting to see and younger portrayal of Billy and compare it with an older teenage portrayal that I saw in the evening.

SATURDAY 3RD MARCH EVENING

I think most of row B low numbers were forum member who all thought like me we were being clever in buying tickets for a cast changeover, and Colin wasn’t considerate and left the previous week! Still never mind we all had a great time and was really nice to chat before the show and during the interval, everyone is always so friendly. For me it was a bonus as it was my first time of Travis so two new Billy’s in one day was great.
Travis
Ryan
Leigh?
Sally not on I think it was Kate playing the role.
It was really interesting as well seeing an older Billy I always thought that Travis was quite small but apparently he has grown a lot lately, he seems to be at that age when boys seem to have grow more in their shoes and they grow before your eyes.

What struck me more than anything was Travis’s acting ability he reacted to everything that was happening on the stage and he reacted with his whole body not just his face. Loved the wink to Grandma as he handed her the pasty

Travis was very much the teenager in the way he walked and slunk around. His voice is really good with quite a gravely content to it. Ryan has grown up so much since I last saw him, express yourself was great fun you could sense the real enjoyment that both boys were having.

I really liked Travis’s interpretation of the letter scene, the restrained way, which he played it determined to hold back his emotions from Mrs Wilkinson. Just a little surreptitious wiping of the tears away. This made it all the more poignant when he finally crumples when given the tape. I think the f**ny scene was one of the best I have seen. It was so well timed and the way he hesitated several times almost said yes and eventually no really bought the house down.

I thought that Kate made a really good Mrs Wilkinson I think it is the first time I have seen her, very different from Sally but just as good in her own way. I am warming more to James Dad it really seems to have developed has seen all three Dads plus understudies and they have all been so different love the way some of the Billy’s alter their style according to which Dad they are playing with. The angry dance was great, as it was my first time with Travis I can’t comment on how his dancing has developed but I thought he was great and I was surprised at how athletic he was a wasn’t expecting so many gymnastic moves. Swan Lake was really good. I loved Electricity and I can now see what people are talking about when they talk about his smile.

All in all it was a great evening and I was glad that I decided to keep my ticket. Above all it was really interesting to see two such contrasting Billy’s both in style and age. The only other times I have been twice it was James and George who played in a similar style though George was more balletic than James, and Liam and Leon who although slightly different still played in a similar style.

Saturday 2nd June

Stood for a little while outside watching the cast go in. Very interesting to see how the young cast have changed since they left the show. Many thanks to James for having all the cards ready for people to sign. There was a really good atmosphere in the theatre. Those who were seeing the show for the first time must have wondered what was going on. Hope our enthusiasm didn’t mare their pleasure in seeing the show. Theatre was full though I did notice after the interval that the two seats behind us were empty not sure if the people had left in the interval or they were empty all the time.

It was great to see Leon again I think the last time I saw him perform was the forum outing in November so saw a big change in him. I think I can only sum up his dancing is by saying how strong and muscular he seemed. It was a wonderful performance however I do feel that he looked a bit old to play Billy even though height wise he got away with it. Leon is such a dependable performer that you felt he would never let his emotions get the better of him and he would give us a great performance. There were just a couple of very brief times when his emotions did slip but he covered very well. I loved the thumbs up and the grin to Ryan as he departed down the aisle having given Michael the final kiss.

The whole cast worked together to give a great performance. It was sad to see Sally leave and hopefully we shall see her in London’s West End again the not too distant future. It was nice to see a proper goodbye from the other Billy’s’ and to see his parents come on the stage. I reckon when he is older Leon will be really like his Dad in appearance. I don’t think there is any favoritism how they say goodbye to ex cast members possibly the ask the boys what they would prefer. Some would be happy with a big goodbye with parents on the stage etc, others would hate it, and some parents would not want to come up on the stage and it is their right to decide what they do. It will be interesting however to see if the big goodbyes carry on or eventually cast leave without even a speech from Stephen.

SATURDAY 1ST SEP

This was my first visit since June 1st, have tried to make a conscious effort not to go so much, next scheduled show is Dec 1st however that may alter. I still enjoy love the show but want it to remain fresh. Also in the summer there are lots of other things to do. Meanwhile I am keeping up with my resolution of attending the theatre at least once a month. However it will be 3 times in Sep makes up for the summer when I don’t attend so often.

It was really nice to meet up with people both before the show and in the interval. Everybody is always so nice and friendly. Don’t do the stage door so didn’t hang about at the end. Seat right at the back of the Grand circle a few empty seats possibly people who couldn’t come for various reasons. However a few empty seats in the front of the Grand circle so was able to switch at the interval. Women next to me had never seen the show or the film before and she was in raptures wanted to come again but worried that it wouldn’t be the same as Travis had left. Told her others were good too.

From the start the show seemed to go with a swing I last saw Travis in March and that was for the first time then. He seems to have grown so much since then. His voice seems so much deeper. I had to pop into the theatre during the matinee and Corey was singing deep into the ground, I really noticed the difference between his and Travis’s voice in that particular song. Not an expert but Travis’s appeared to be pitched so much lower. As far as I could see it was a full adult cast with no understudies. I love Ann each time I see her she seems to have such a lovely relationship with all the Billy’s and really enjoys playing her part and gets such fun out of it. Like quite few other members of the forum I am not sure about Jackie Clune. There seems to be very little on stage warmth about her and she doesn’t appear to really gel with Billy. Particularly when Billy reaches out to her for comfort during the tape scene, this all seemed a bit false. Whereas both Haydn and Sally reached out for the boys with genuine warmth especially on their last night with both of them waiting for the boy to be ready until they finished the scene. I am sure Jackie was really upset to be saying goodbye because this came across at the end. I see Mrs W as a tough cookie outwardly but gradually reaching out to Billy and mellowing in her relationship to the boy and almost becoming a Mother substitute. However maybe Jackie has chosen to play it in a different way and she knows far more about the art of acting than I do. On a purely personal point hated her dress at the end! Mind you she can belt out a song! Also it helps the show grow and develop of people give different interpretations of the role rather than having to do the role the same whoever is playing it. James has really grown on me he really mellows in his relationship with Billy and his so proud of him. It was a real genuine hug of affection at the end. I think Travis was really incredible the way in which he held his emotions together and just really enjoyed his final show.

The small boys and some of the ballet girls seem to get smaller each time I come they all seem to enjoy themselves so much and this really comes across and helps the show to go with a real swing. As usual I loved all the musical numbers. Express yourself was a real riot they had such fun. It was interesting viewing some of the big dance scenes from high up as you got a real idea of the whole picture and pattern of the whole number. I enjoy the angry dance more and more each time, it was the only thing I wasn’t sure of first time I saw the show, but then thanks to George became really hooked.

The second half seems to go even quicker than the first half I have never known any other show to go as quickly as BE does, never once think when is it going to end or I am feeling tired! One great number after the other it just takes your breath away. Looking forward to December for my next show but maybe I will relent and come once more in between.

I am sure out of all the Billy’s we will hear and see a lot more from Travis he is such a talented young actor, mind you he did have the advantage of being a known face before Billy. That is not to say however that the rest of the young cast both past and present are not a talented lot they are they had to be to get the roles they got.

Saturday 1st December

A rather late review. Had difficulty in getting onto the forum last weekend, and then just a very busy week, and Christmas had to take priority. Now having a break before Christmas card writing and present wrapping.

It doesn’t seem possible that this is the 3rd December changeover I have attended. The first one wasn’t even planned just asked on the off chance if they had any tickets and got one in row A of the stalls.

This was my first viewing of Olly I really enjoyed his performance somehow he was taller and looked older than I was expecting. From the start he established his Billy he was good, though at times I thought he was a bit shouty. His singing voice was great as was his dancing. There was a real buzz about the place and it was great to see Stephen Daldry. Saw a few cast members in the audience though I am not always good at identifying them. It was nice to sit among members of the forum and chat beforehand and during the interval. Ryan had grown up so much since I last saw him; he is taller with a lot deeper voice and no longer the little tiny boy. Expressing yourself was great fun. Anne as ever made a great Grandma she really seems to enjoy working with the boys. Still not really sure about Jackie as Mrs W still a bit harsh, I think she should put a bit of “herself” into her Mrs W. Really loved Olly’s Swan Lake he was so graceful. I always enjoy the different versions of Electricity so it was nice to see Olly’s. The goodbye scenes were obviously difficult for Jackie and Olly the warmth we saw from Jackie here is what I would like to see more in her performance generally. Sara was so good with Olly in the letter reprise when she just held his hands gently to reassure him. Loved the use of names as Billy said goodbye to Michael. Hope there was someone to give Olly a reassuring as he got to the end of the aisle.
Both Olly and Ryan seem to have recovered for the finale, which really went with a swing. I was sorry that there were no curtain speeches, but sure they had their reasons and the young cast were clearly very upset by then. Have booked a couple of tickets for next year first Saturday In March and June not sure if they will be special or not but have to wait and see. Didn’t hang around after as there were no trains on my route so knew I would have to rely on a bus.
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

2008 reviews
SATURDAY 22ND MARCH

Booked quite late as I thought that it would be my only chance to see Sam! As it turned out I was out of luck. Still at least the board said we were going to see Layton as Michael. When Jonty rode on I wondered if it was an out of date schedule. However as Trent came on I realised that it wasn’t. It was interesting to see a slightly younger interpretation of Billy. Trent was great especially all his facial expressions. I did think that sometimes he accent was slightly of but I am no expert. I still think that I personally prefer a slightly older Billy because I think it has more aspects. Not only his he coping with growing up but all the other aspects of his life as well and his growing interest in dance. Yet deep down he is still a young boy still grieving for his Mother and still quite vulnerable, yet on the surface a teenager and cocky. Several understudies David Bardsley as Dad and I am sorry but have forgotten who played Tony. Layton made a great Tallboy. Express you was great fun but again I lost the jokes. I very rarely seem to catch them. However in the early days I did. Think possibly the music is quite high during them. But they did fall flat on the audience. They really need to slow down at this point. Trent has a great voice and reached the tops notes with no difficulty. He did seem to have traces of a cold though. Being quite small and light he really seemed to fly in the set dances especially Swan Lake. I too noticed the dropped letter in one of the final scenes the whole cast seemed to freeze for a moment then they covered it up well. I am sure that someone new to the show might not have noticed. The ballet girls as ever were great; they really looked like a set of girls you might see at any ballet class being all shapes sizes and ages. Great casting. It was nice to have a brief chat to Malcolm and his Granddaughter in the interval. It was an afternoon that there was literally snow on the stage and outside. Although disappointed not to have seen Sam I still enjoyed the show. Don’t think I will get to Sam’s last show as I am in Lewes for the day. Still might just be possible but probably not.

SATURDAY 31ST MAY 7/30 PERFORMANCE.

It was nice to meet so many of the forum in the stage door beforehand and in the interval. I was very lucky as had originally got a seat in the front row of the Grand circle but a member of the forum had got a spare ticket in row B stalls so very kindly gave it to me. Unfortunately I couldn’t find anyone who wanted mine would have loved someone to have had it but did try.

Cast was as posted in all the other reviews. This was my first show with Joshua and I was really impressed. What struck me was how deep his voice was both singing and speaking. However physically he was still quite tiny and looked young so he was still very much a believable Billy. To me a saw quite a few likenesses to George both in his dance style and his performance. At times physically I saw some similarities. This was also my first and last viewing of Daniel.

The show went with a real swing right from the start all the cast seemed really fired up and determined to really enjoy the show, even though for a lot of them it would be emotionally very difficult. The ballet girls were great and they really gave Joshua and each other a right pushing around. Nearly all of Joshua’s songs were in quite a low key apart I think from the letter so the straining to reach the top notes added to the emotion of the song.
I am still not sure about the way Jackie plays the role of Mrs W she appears to lack the warmth that eventually comes between her and Billy. Particularly in the tape scene when Billy gives her a hug. She almost pulled a face and didn’t quite no what to do and there was a sort of titter in the audience which took away some of the poignancy of the occasion. However I never really felt this with Sally or Haydn.

I really loved Joshua’s Electricity but then I do like the street version especially the wall flip. I have only seen that once since George left and that was with Layton in his first week.

It was nice to see so many of the young cast in the audience especially the ballet girls they look so much older of stage al dressed up than they do on stage. Leyci especially looked so much more grown up in the pictures of her at the stage door than she looked on stage.

I didn’t hang about at the stage door after. I don’t tend to do the stage door, if I do its from the other side of the road! Also I wanted to try and avoid any possible trouble on the underground with the Circle line party. I was lucky in that for once the Victoria line was suspended due to engineering works and there was no trouble the service was just a little slower and we kept on hearing about station closures.

Next scheduled visit is end of November but I hope to fit in another visit before then. Possibly if they have another Billy leaving apart from Trent and Corey whose final performances I can’t attend.

MONDAY 28TH JULY

Fox
Shaun
Alicia

An unscheduled visit to Billy. Phoned up in the morning and managed to get two seats row B of the stalls. For myself and a work colleague. I think I was very lucky because the theatre was pretty full. A very hot evening and you could see just how much the cast were suffering never the less they all put in a fantastic performance. There were lots of tourists in the audience who didn’t necessarily have English as a first language so I think some of the colloquialisms were lost on them. Definitely the f**ny line didn’t produce the normal titters from were I was sitting! However the scene with the ballet dancer produced lots of titters.

This was my first viewing of Fox I thought he was great so smiley as well. Although very tiny, and looking young I thought he could easily pass for 12. I really enjoyed his Electricity. Being so small he really “flew” in Swan Lake. Shaun as ever was great he is quite a bit bigger than Fox but it didn’t affect the enjoyment in the slightest. Loved Alicia especially her facial expressions. The ballet girls as ever were great and Tracey Atkinson really made me chuckle.

The adult cast were great and it was nice to see Phil back again. Jackie was great however for some reason I still don’t really warm to her Mrs W but maybe we are not meant to. Anne as ever was great. She must have endless energy.

Above all it was great to have an unplanned visit to Bill haven’t any plans for Billy until late December unless we have a cast change evening then I might well be unable to keep away!

Saturday 29th November.

My first visit since the end of July and the first time I had seen Layton since his first week. He is so much bigger and stronger now.

It was nice to see Stephen Daldry again. I was struck by the atmosphere in the Theatre to me I hadn’t sensed it as strong since George’s last night and the 1st birthday Gala night. Mind you I haven’t been able to attend all the last nights. The show still hasn’t lost and of its sparkle and greatness. The Ballet girls were as great as ever and I loved the way Tracey Atkinson remembered to pick up her pie on the way out. The whole show went with a real swing helped of course by a very enthusiastic audience. Layton did a wonderful job of the show and he held it together so well throughout the show. Anne Emery continues to bring so much fun into her part and you sense that she gets on so well with all the young cast members.

Above all I sense that the whole show is such a company piece and that the cast all really enjoy being part of “Billy” I am sure this is why so many ex cast members return. I wonder if this happens so much in other shows. Sorry I won’t get to see Joanna Riding perform but maybe she will be back on at least one of the occasions I have got tickets for next year. Nice to see so many familiar members of the forum again and chat to them, The less said about my journey home the better, thanks to the Victoria line didn’t get in until the early hours of the morning. Still at least it wasn’t snowing.
han25
Small Boy

Post by han25 »

jen wrote: Saturday 29th November.
Layton did a wonderful job of the show and he held it together so well throughout the show.
I completely agree :D he was beyond amazing and his last night was so emotional!
Billy : Matthew x1 Trent x1 Layton x2 Ollie x3 Tom x3 Tanner x2 Brad x1 Dean x1
Michael : Shaun x4 George x3 Lewis x1 Jake x3 Connor x1 Connor K x1 Joe x1
Debbie : Leyci x2 Scarlet x2 Alicia x1 Annabelle x1 Fleur x4 Francesca x4

31/3/10- One of the best nights of my life...

Return to “Reviews Archive”