BETM- A Tory Party Political Broadcast?

Is the Music live? Where are auditons held?
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

BETM- A Tory Party Political Broadcast?

Post by Deanfan5 »

Am I the only forum member to feel sick and tired of the nightly knocking of Tony Blair at the curtain scene. Initially the humour was there about him 'shaking up the Labour party' and being 'a radical' (both questionable) but now we have to listen to 'illegal invasions' and 'screwing up the economy' both of which have nothing to do with the poliics of the miners strike. Let the politics of the show reflect the politics of the time and nothing else. All this serves to do now is to provide 8 times a week free promotion for the Tories. At least can it be dropped until after the General Election. The dialogue about the meat raffle should suffice for the humour element.
For the record I hold no particular brief for the Labour Party but am a fully sympathetic supporter of the 'anything but the Tories campaign'.
Would be interested in what others feel about this question.
burtond
Michael

Re: BETM- A Tory Party Political Broadcast?

Post by burtond »

Deanfan5 wrote:Am I the only forum member to feel sick and tired of the nightly knocking of Tony Blair at the curtain scene. Initially the humour was there about him 'shaking up the Labour party' and being 'a radical' (both questionable) but now we have to listen to 'illegal invasions' and 'screwing up the economy' both of which have nothing to do with the poliics of the miners strike. Let the politics of the show reflect the politics of the time and nothing else. All this serves to do now is to provide 8 times a week free promotion for the Tories. At least can it be dropped until after the General Election. The dialogue about the meat raffle should suffice for the humour element.
For the record I hold no particular brief for the Labour Party but am a fully sympathetic supporter of the 'anything but the Tories campaign'.
This is nothing to do with serious politics - it is a Joke - have a laugh! Are you telling me that Tony Blair didn't illegally invade a foreign country, screw up the economy and leave up to the next door neighbour to sort out? I think that you'll find the vast majority of folk beleive this wholeheartidly. That's the joke.
Surely no one is really bothered by this are they????
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
iht
Small Boy

Post by iht »

burtond wrote:
Deanfan5 wrote:Am I the only forum member to feel sick and tired of the nightly knocking of Tony Blair at the curtain scene. Initially the humour was there about him 'shaking up the Labour party' and being 'a radical' (both questionable) but now we have to listen to 'illegal invasions' and 'screwing up the economy' both of which have nothing to do with the poliics of the miners strike. Let the politics of the show reflect the politics of the time and nothing else. All this serves to do now is to provide 8 times a week free promotion for the Tories. At least can it be dropped until after the General Election. The dialogue about the meat raffle should suffice for the humour element.
This is nothing to do with serious politics - it is a Joke - have a laugh! Are you telling me that Tony Blair didn't illegally invade a foreign country, screw up the economy and leave up to the next door neighbour to sort out? I think that you'll find the vast majority of folk beleive this wholeheartidly. That's the joke.
Surely no one is really bothered by this are they????
It never gets a laugh from me, I think anything they say should be realistic to the political feeling in Easington around 1984, and that certainly wouldn't be slating a Labour party politician. However, they wouldn't wear Newcastle scarves and they wouldn't slag off Sunderland supporters in Easington in 1984 so we might as well let them get on with it. That said, they should really talk about the damage to the economy that Thatcher imposed on the country that the Labour government had to inherit, she is the evil, not the Labour party.
VaRus
Small Boy

Post by VaRus »

Deanfan5 wrote: All this serves to do now is to provide 8 times a week free promotion for the Tories.
"free promotion for the Tories"?! Come on! Margaret Thatcher who continues to be associated with the very core of Tories gets mocked and humiliated extremely strongly during the show. Actually the political message of this show is as leftist as it gets and rightly so because it reflects miners view. In my personal opinion Arthur Scargill, for instance, did miners more harm than any Tory ever did but this show is not about my views. There is also no need to over-politicise the show which appeals to people of all political views.
Let the politics of the show reflect the politics of the time and nothing else.

George interacts with the audience now, not 25 years ago! I think it would be great to have a bit of up-to-date stand-up comedy - not just to repeat one or two well established jokes. Trevor used to do that sometimes.
Valery
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Deanfan5 wrote:All this serves to do now is to provide 8 times a week free promotion for the Tories.
Sorry Deanfan5, but I absolutely disagree with your comments above. In my opinion this show does absolutely nothing whatsoever for supporters of the Tory party.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

[/quote]
"free promotion for the Tories"?! Come on! Margaret Thatcher who continues to be associated with the very core of Tories gets mocked and humiliated extremely strongly during the show. Actually the political message of this show is as leftist as it gets and rightly so because it reflects miners view. In my personal opinion Arthur Scargill, for instance, did miners more harm than any Tory ever did but this show is not about my views. There is also no need to over-politicise the show which appeals to people of all political views.

[quote]

Totally agree. You know if we're not careful we'll start falling out and forming two sides based on our politcal persuasions. I think overall, both the tories and labour get a bashing in equal measure and aside from the party politics, so does Arthur Scargil. Lets remember one very important message, as BETM fans ' we all stand together' - just enjoy the show! :D
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.

Return to “Information/Questions about BETM”