Currently I am reading....

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Currently I am reading....

Post by ERinVA »

I just finished Caleb's Crossing, by Geraldine Brooks. She is an excellent writer, and this is the fourth book of hers that I have read. She doesn't write series; all of her novels are on different subjects. I highly recommend her books, and this, in my opinion, is one of the best.
Caleb's Crossing is a fascinating tale of Caleb Cheeshahteaumauk - the first Native American to graduate from Harvard College -- and a member of the Wampanoag tribe in what is now Martha's Vineyard. Although Caleb was a real person, this is a fiction book which takes what sketchy information that exists about him and expands it into a wonderful and poignant narrative told by the Puritan woman, Bethia Mayfield, who becomes Caleb's childhood friend and follows the progress of his life alongside her own.

Another book I can recommend is Remarkable Creatures, by Tracy Chevalier. This book, also a fictionalized account, deals with two real 19th Century women of differing social classes who come together because of their interest in fossils.
"The discoveries of fossils on the beaches of Lyme Regis, England, in the 19th century rocked the world and opened the minds of scientists to the planet's unimaginable age and the extinction of species. Though attributed to men of consequence, the first remarkable finds were made by the poor working-class Anning family—and their young daughter, Mary. Chevalier wraps the history with a tale of the friendship between Mary and Elizabeth Philpot, a gentlewoman also fascinated by the creatures of stone, in a time when women were thought to be ill-suited to the work or incapable of understanding the scope of their finds."--Publisher's Weekly
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
dongringo
Debbie

Re: Currently I am reading....

Post by dongringo »

Azteca - my longest read in spanish by far - 866 pages of brutal spanish reading - crazy read to say the least.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Return to “Non-BETM Archive”