May 2009 US Reviews

deebeeeff
Ballet Girl

Re: May 2009 US Reviews

Post by deebeeeff »

ERinVA wrote:but the part where Billy comes in and is hurt in the scuffle as he tries to stop the fight between Dad and Tony is really wonderful.

After I wrote the review I was thinking it over and I agree that this part really works. I like him coming in and trying to stop it! However, every time I saw that scene I thought to myself, why isn't Tony or Dad coming over to see if he is okay? LOL Ya just can't win!!!
ERinVA wrote:As for whether Jackie actually worked as a scab, I don't think that there is anything to prove that he did. There could be other reasons the policeman brings him in, such as a fight having broken out when he tried to leave, etc. I don't really know, but I don't see that particular thing as making a difference in the overall effectiveness of the scene.
Well, since I think the scene is not as effective as it was in London, no way to tell.
ERinVA wrote: But overall, I take it that the US production gets the Uncle Dave seal of approval.
Oh, absolutely!!!
I'm so glad you liked the US show, NY, and the Radio City Apartments. Perhaps this means that we will actually encounter each other in NY at some future show.
Oh I hope so as well. BTW, I encountered a lady who has been coming back to the RCA for 13 years and loves it!
The Mini-Billython - Sacramento, Apr 11 - 13, 2013
"The Impossible" Hollywood Premier - Hollywood, Dec 10, 2012
Uncle Dave's 60th Birthday London Adventure - London, Oct 3 - 11, 2012
The Last Pirouette - NYC, Jan 5 - 9, 2012
Uncle Dave's Stealth Vacation - NYC, Oct 17 - 24, 2011
Uncle Dave's Liberation Celebration - New York City, Apr 11 - 18, 2011
Uncle Dave's Third Annual Birthday Billython - NYC, Oct 5 - 11, 2010
Fans in Denial - The REAL 5th Anniversary Show - London, May 6 - 14, 2010
Uncle Dave's Second Annual Birthday Billython - NYC, Oct 3 - 8, 2009
Uncle Dave's Memorial Weekend Big Apple Adventure & Billython - NYC, May 20 - 25, 2009
Uncle Dave's Birthday Billython - London, Oct 7 - 11, 2008
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

Thank you for wonderful and comprehensive review Dave - an interesting read, especially your comments about London versus Broadway.

And while I am thanking folks, thank you Clue for your reviews, and musicinyourear412 for yours. A pleasure to read and catch up with the NYC's BETM!

Cheers.
maria
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

deebeeeff wrote:And I am not going to shy away from the negatives, so if you want a review that says everything was perfect, go away. ;)
Enjoyed all you wrote on your 6-show reviews, Dave - very heartfelt and candid
deebeeeff wrote:"Born to Boogie" - This was fun, a lot of energy and well done......................but.................take the damned jump rope s*** out of there!

"Angry Dance" - I heard, before I went to New York, that the Broadway version of this was different and not as good as the UK version. I really could not see it. I thought it was very good, just as powerful, and again Trent was just amazing at it.
Agree 100% with what you say here on both of these points. Never understood the need for the jump rope. And the U.S. "Angry Dance" I felt was quite similar to the U.K. version, which I was relieved to see.
deebeeeff wrote:"He Could Shine" - This is always a very emotional scene for me. I do not like the US version as well as the UK version. Another area where it didn't need to be messed with.
Sorry, but I like the Broadway version better. Can't exactly remember why as it's been 7 months since I've seen the show. But I do remember thinking the U.S. version was a change for the better. Not sure why they felt like they needed to change the title of the song away from "He Could Be A Star" though
deebeeeff wrote: "Electricity" - I saw some great shows in New York, but by far the best show was Saturday evening, when Kiril was on. and I don't think anyone minds that he breaks character during the ovation - how can you not?
Well, I minded. :oops: I felt like it shortens what is typically the biggest audience reaction in the show, since the audience feels like they'd better stop clapping so they don't miss the next line. I agree with you though about Kiril's "Electricity" being stunning - one of the best I've seen. All the more reason why I wish he'd hold his pose a bit longer to let the audience show their full appreciation. I remember loving to see the smile that would break across Corey Snide's face and Fox Jackson-Keen as they remain in their finish position and soak up the applause in the London show.
deebeeeff wrote:I would expect that their departure dates have already been set and will be announced not soon after the Tonys. This is not speculation, but just obvious from observation!
Let's hope not. Several of the London Billys went on for quite awhile after their voices had dropped. I would think the show would want to keep them around for as long as possible so as to advertise the "Tony Award winning Billys" who are still performing in the show (see my Tony Awards optimism ??)
bubsycm
Debbie

Post by bubsycm »

deebeeeff- I really liked your review! I haven't seen it in the US but I totally agree with your negatives in regards to the whole production. But also the positives :P Solidarity is definitely one of my favourite numbers.
Charlotte x
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

How remiss of me.

Great review musicinyourear412. I'm so glad you got to see Tanner whilst he is in New York. Enjoy him while you can as we want him back ;)
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
deebeeeff
Ballet Girl

Post by deebeeeff »

Let's hope not. Several of the London Billys went on for quite awhile after their voices had dropped. I would think the show would want to keep them around for as long as possible so as to advertise the "Tony Award winning Billys" who are still performing in the show (see my Tony Awards optimism ??)
Yeah, I have been told that about voices. I guess I also should mention that the boys are getting as tall as Tony, so they need a taller older brother, or the need to squat a lot. :lol: :lol: :lol: I, too, hope they are around for a while longer.
The Mini-Billython - Sacramento, Apr 11 - 13, 2013
"The Impossible" Hollywood Premier - Hollywood, Dec 10, 2012
Uncle Dave's 60th Birthday London Adventure - London, Oct 3 - 11, 2012
The Last Pirouette - NYC, Jan 5 - 9, 2012
Uncle Dave's Stealth Vacation - NYC, Oct 17 - 24, 2011
Uncle Dave's Liberation Celebration - New York City, Apr 11 - 18, 2011
Uncle Dave's Third Annual Birthday Billython - NYC, Oct 5 - 11, 2010
Fans in Denial - The REAL 5th Anniversary Show - London, May 6 - 14, 2010
Uncle Dave's Second Annual Birthday Billython - NYC, Oct 3 - 8, 2009
Uncle Dave's Memorial Weekend Big Apple Adventure & Billython - NYC, May 20 - 25, 2009
Uncle Dave's Birthday Billython - London, Oct 7 - 11, 2008
dancinboi
Small Boy

Post by dancinboi »

Sat. Eve 5/30/09
Billy: Tanner
Michael: Keean
What can I say but wow, wow & wow, also wow!! I went to the Matinee today and saw Trent/David B. great as always, but I went to the stage door afterwards and there was Tanner and Tommy. My hunch was that they would be on tonight. I have been dying to see Tanner again before he goes away (if he does) and to see Keean as Michael. I waited for the board to go up and my hunch was right. The show was sold out and the cancellation line was long. They only had a few premium seats left to sell at the box office and I thought, just go for it. I got B101 3rd row on the isle. Amazing seat! (it should be at that price, right?) Anyway my wallet was burning and I was hoping for the best. Can I say, I was NOT disappointed at all. It was worth every penny.
Tanner was on fire! His acting was so intense and his dancing was just beyond perfection. I saw him last week and he was great but tonight was special. I have seen many shows at this point but this may be the best show I have seen. It certainly ranks in the top two. I love them all but this night was unique. I love the more intense accent that Tanner has and he retains several qualities from the UK show that were just... refreshing I guess is the word. Now, Kiril has alway been my favorite and he still has the best "Electricity" in my book but Tanner was just a jolt of energy and wow!
I have seen Keean 16 times now as Tall Boy and I sort of thought I knew what to expect from him but BOOM, that guy was a terrific Michael. It was so great to see him dance. Tall boy never gets the chance to cut it up, you know. He had his own take on some key lines and I thought they were just spot on. His tapping is terrific and he and Tanner just brought down the house with "Expresing Yourself". There were lots of people standing and cheering at the end. They had a great chemistry and the house was loving it. His sensitivity in the winter scene was genuine and touching. His comedic timing was perfect. I hope Keean becomes a regular in the role. He was fantastic!
I think the moment that stands out most to me is "Angry Dance". I have seen it many times but I was literally shaking when Tanner finished. He was soo intense and such energy! At one point he got hit with one of the sign pieces, the point where he is supposed to jump up and lay on the sign plank and two guys lift him, the move before was a little off and he didn't make it. The edge of the sign smacked him in the forehead. Not his fault, I think the guy that is supposed to assist him was late. But he just did a spin and went right on. Pure professionalism! That number also brought the house to a partial standing o!
Just a side bar to the review, I sat next to an amazing lady tonight. She is a dancer. She had never seen the show and she, literally, jumped up as a "stranding ovation of one" several times throughout the show. She was so excited and she would lean over and say things like, "did you see that?" and "if this house was filled with dancers and actors right now they would all be standing and screaming!, that kid is amazing." She LOVED Tanner and the show. She said she is coming back. She wants to see all the Billy's now. I think sitting next to her made my night that much better, so thank you to her.
I hope that Tanner can stay awhile longer but I know the UK folks want him back and I understand why. Tommy will be back on as Billy soon and I am excited to see him again. I don't know what they are going to do but I am SOOO glad I saw Tanner tonight. I would love to keep them all here in NYC and never let them grow up. But there will be more talented Billy's to come I'm sure but tonight belonged to Tanner and Keean. Thanks for making my week guys! PS: Happy Birthday, Liam!
NYC: David x3, Trent x9, Kiril x9, Tommy x1, Tanner x2, Alex x1, Dayton x1
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thank you danciboi for a great review that I feel was written from the heart. We are so fortunate to be watching geniuses and that is exactly what they are. I'm so glad, but not surprised, that New York has taken Tanner to its heart.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Thank you for all of the great May reviews! Thank you clue, thank you Uncle Dave, thank you musicinyourear412 and thank you dancinboi! I really enjoyed each of your reviews, both the positive and the constructive criticisms as well!

On Wednesday June 10th I will be seeing the Broadway version for the 4th time (and had seen the show once in London with Corey). I can never hope to compare (well I shouldn't say never as who knows, I might come into money some day) with the number of times many of you are able to see the show(s). So consider yourselves very, very blessed!!!

For those coming into town soon for the Billython and Tony Awards, please let me know if you wouldn't mind me joining you for any lunches, dinners or sightseeing. I'm nearby on Long Island and can get into the city easily on a weekday evening or different times on the weekends. Please PM or e-mail me (or PM me for my e-mail) anytime!

And I'm looking forward to adding a June review myself soon!!!!!!!!! Woo hoo! Can't wait! =) Plus it'll be the first time I've got good Orchestra seats since London. Hmm, in London they're called the Stalls. I guess it'll be my first Orchestra seats ever for Billy Elliot!!! Woo hoo!!! LOL ;)

Thanks again for all of the time spent writing reviews all!!! Wishing you all a wonderful spring and summer and safe and happy travels to all of our Broadway-bound travelers!

Sean
(angelenroute)

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

Thank you dancinboi for a wonderful review - And have to agree with you, that it is exciting to see the show through the eyes of a first timer, and pick up some of their enthusiasm as well. And a Dancer, so she would know!

Glad our NYC boys, no wait, make that, one UK and one NYC, well no, wait a minute, he is from the US afterall... Never mind - glad Tanner and Keean are wow-ing the NYC theater goers!

Cheers.
maria
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!

Return to “Reviews Archive”