Buffalo Reviews

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Buffalo Reviews

Post by ERinVA »

Regarding ballet Billys and flips in "Electricity": There is classical ballet, and there is modern ballet. Obviously classical ballet doesn't involve any acrobatic moves, but modern certainly can. The Billys are not dancing classical choreography. In fact, "Electricity" seems to be more of a conglomeration of moves and styles than a piece choreographed in a particular style. This makes perfect sense for Billy. He is a novice dancer, and he is trying to "pull out all the stops" to show the things he can do. "Electricity" is not supposed to be the dance that he and Mrs. W. prepared for the audition; it's supposed to be a spontaneous response to the question, " How does it feel when you're dancing."
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
tankntonic
Ballet Girl

Post by tankntonic »

Muck912 Said :
"For the life of me I can't figure out how every London Billy can do a piano flip to a raked stage with very little injury, but tour Billys have become too fragile to do the same thing on a flat stage. Let's face it, a Billy jump off the piano is a huge waste of time once you've seen the flip".

I was thinking the same thing when I was in Boston. I'm pretty sure that Kylend did the piano flip, but Noah and Ben did not. I have to agree that the "Billy Jump" off the piano is kinda lame. I also have to agree about acro during Electricity- I absolutly love it. Don't agree, however about preferring the "street version" I much prefer ballet . After all, Billy is not auditioning for the Royal hip hop school . I know....acrobatics would not be taught at the RBC, but to me, it's an expression of Billy's absolute passion for dance.That's why my favorite Electricity ever was Ty, he is such an athletic dancer, yet so graceful.
Thanks for the review Muck, you expressed some things that I have been thinking about for awhile.
Got my room and tickets for Austin...only two months to go !!
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

tankntonic wrote:I was thinking the same thing when I was in Boston. I'm pretty sure that Kylend did the piano flip, but Noah and Ben did not.
At the Boston show I was at, Kylend DID NOT do the piano flip. I remember being disappointed about it.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

porschesrule wrote:
tankntonic wrote:I was thinking the same thing when I was in Boston. I'm pretty sure that Kylend did the piano flip, but Noah and Ben did not.
At the Boston show I was at, Kylend DID NOT do the piano flip. I remember being disappointed about it.
I attended eight performances in Boston by three of the four Billys (Zach was 'off games') - no one did the piano flip.

My guess is that there may have been a few accidents along the way and certainly, with the Billys down in number in Boston, it would not make sense to take such a risk. I have also watched the 'piano' used on the new tour - it appears to be very light and is 'locked' in place by foot pedals which lock the wheel. This led me to wonder whether this made the piano prone to moving a bit when a flip would be taken from it? I know that Mr Braithwaite is there to hold it, but even so, with a Billy down, it might have been a bit of a risk too far.....
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

kport wrote:I attended eight performances in Boston by three of the four Billys (Zach was 'off games') - no one did the piano flip.
First week of the Boston run, I attended the Friday night performance expecting to see Zach. Kylend was on instead and did the Billy flip. Next night was Kylend's regularly scheduled performance and he did not do the flip. So ever since July 27, it appears that the Tour is in . . . umm . . . shall we say, "Flippin' Hell!" :lol:
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

ERinVA wrote:Regarding ballet Billys and flips in "Electricity": There is classical ballet, and there is modern ballet. Obviously classical ballet doesn't involve any acrobatic moves, but modern certainly can. The Billys are not dancing classical choreography. In fact, "Electricity" seems to be more of a conglomeration of moves and styles than a piece choreographed in a particular style. This makes perfect sense for Billy. He is a novice dancer, and he is trying to "pull out all the stops" to show the things he can do. "Electricity" is not supposed to be the dance that he and Mrs. W. prepared for the audition; it's supposed to be a spontaneous response to the question, " How does it feel when you're dancing."
Well said, ERinVA. Captures the essence of the matter perfectly. And to expand on the "conglomeration of moves and styles", there are the musical references within "Electricity" to "Dream Ballet" as well as "Angry Dance" and seems to serve as a recapitulation of all the previous numbers. So one should expect the choreography to comply by mixing all the styles and not just (classical) ballet.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

atreyu wrote:...he did not do the flip. So ever since July 27, it appears that the Tour is in . . . umm . . . shall we say, "Flippin' Hell!" :lol:
:D LOL I like that one, atreyu!

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”