Flowers post curtain

Is the Music live? Where are auditons held?
Eltonjohn
Miner

Flowers post curtain

Post by Eltonjohn »

What is the musical-theatre custom, tradition and protocol for floral presentations? Only after an opening / last night performance? Of course there is the ballet post show protocol as well!

Would it be unthinkable for a bouquet to be casually and anonymously delivered to the front desk of the cast hotel upon the company's arrival at their next tour stop, as a sort of welcome and appreciation for what is about to come? This goodwill gesture could then apply to ALL and not single out particular individuals.

Comments / reactions?
BETM: "the most expensive school play ever."
Lee Hall
in Playbill October 2008
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flowers post curtain

Post by ERinVA »

Flowers usually get presented to the London Billys at the end of their final performances. I think the same occurred on Broadway, but on tour, this doesn't generally happen, to my knowledge.

The curtain call is a dance number, so flowers would get in the way of the dancing, and could cause a problem. If/when flowers are presented on leaving nights as noted above, it is at the final company bow after the Finale. I have never seen flowers thrown on the stage by audience members at any performance of BETM.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

As far as I am aware, where the cast stays is never announced to the general public. Nor in London is the location of the Billy House made public. As well it should be, as many in both casts are minor children and the productions have a duty of care to ensure their safety. I believe it is the policy of this Forum that such information should be private as the cast, and especially the children, are 'home' when in their places of residence. Of course it is possible that a fan could bump into one or more of them at a place away from the theatre, and again I think the rules of this Forum expect us to allow them their privacy.

Recently a question was asked: how to send a personal message to a member of the cast. I recall suggesting that the best way to contact them would be through NETworks Presentations, which can forward such things to the theater. I would not suggest they be treated as a mailbox, however.

In my view, our greatest means of showing our appreciation is to buy tickets, spread the word to others, and clap and cheer and let them know that we, in the audience, think that the production is something extraordinarily good.

Returning to the specifics of your question, if one wants to leave flowers or something of that order, that the appropriate thing would be to go via the theatre's management. They will decide what is appropriate.

I hope that helps, and please - if I have something wrong, do please correct me!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I agree about going through the theatre's management if you want to send a bouquet or thank-you to the cast. They might actually get it and put it in the Green Room, but there would be no guarantee. Sending flowers/favors, etc., to particular cast members, it seems to me, is appropriate only from people who know them personally.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I would consider it inappropriate to visit or send anything to the hotel where the cast is staying. The hotel is no different than their personal houses, in that it is their home while they are in a city.
I think going through the production company is the best way. Or contact the theatre management and see if flowers or a card of appreciation could be accepted for the cast and crew.
And I agree as well that it should be addressed to the entire cast AND crew. While the actors who play Billy are the stars, and are on stage longer, all the actors as well as the crew work very hard and rehearse and put their hearts into the production. This show can not happen without a Billy or a Tony or a George or a rigger or a lighting technician. They are all very valuable and essential to this amazing show!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for adding the reminder about the crew. They deserve a great deal of praise and thanks. Without them, we wouldn't be seeing the show.
Ellen

angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

kport wrote:In my view, our greatest means of showing our appreciation is to buy tickets, spread the word to others, and clap and cheer and let them know that we, in the audience, think that the production is something extraordinarily good.
Perfectly said.

Now if anyone out there would ever like to give me flowers, I'd be fine with that. :lol:

Sean =)

Return to “Information/Questions about BETM”