MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC

patc
Mrs Wilkinson

MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC

Post by patc »

On a musical note Chris Hatt (Musical dirctor) confirmed to me that the melody for the Billy shadow sequence has been recently changed by Martin Koch responsible for 'Musical Supervision and Orchestration'. It is based around 'Shine' and is very melodical and beautiful.
To continue this discussion outside the Reviews Section.

There have been many and varied mainly subtle alterations to the music over the years and it is very interesting to hear that Martin Koch is still actively involved. I heard this particular re-arranged piece for the first time last Thursday but would need to hear it again before deciding whether I like it “better” than the other version. Not that it matters, of course. The version we have been listening to until now I heard first on the Broadway show and it was eventually imported to London to replace its original. It certainly enhanced that short scene immensely.

It would be great to have a session with the music gurus and ask some questions on the changes that have taken place and the reasons. For example, let’s take the beginning and “The Stars Look Down”. In the opening verses, the notes at the end of each line used to be held and then, suddenly one day, this was dropped in favour of a short sharp finish:

Thus, “Through the Daaaaaark” became “Through the Dark” and “Through the hungerrrrrrr” became “Through the hunger” and so on.

From memory, the musical accompaniment to “Take Me Up” on the OCR has no piano in it but I have never seen the show without piano being the dominant instrument and being incredibly beautiful to listen to. Over the years this piano arrangement has subtly changed from time to time and sometimes the version you heard differed slightly depending on who was the MD on the night. From what I have heard during that song very recently it seems that they have now gone back to the steady chord arrangement for piano that existed during, say, Travis’ time in the show. It is as beautiful as ever. One of the many magic moments for me.

If I’m being honest I don’t really like musicals generally but the music in this show and its subtle and beautiful orchestrations are a major, major part of its enjoyment for me and it really annoyed me when I read in my early Billy days that some critic, can’t remember the name, wrote that Elton John must have “phoned this one in”. Whoever it was must have been tone deaf and totally devoid of any of the emotions that really count.

Would love to hear other Member's views.

Pat
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC

Post by ERinVA »

On a musical note Chris Hatt (Musical dirctor) confirmed to me that the melody for the Billy shadow sequence has been recently changed by Martin Koch responsible for 'Musical Supervision and Orchestration'. It is based around 'Shine' and is very melodical and beautiful.
So far as I know, since it was given more emphasis than it originally had, it's always been based on "Shine." The orchestration may have changed, but I am sure the melody has always come from "Shine," because, after all, it is intended to make the transition from the ballet class scene in which "Shine" is performed to "Grandma's Song."
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

patc wrote: it really annoyed me when I read in my early Billy days that some critic, can’t remember the name, wrote that Elton John must have “phoned this one in”. Whoever it was must have been tone deaf and totally devoid of any of the emotions that really count.
Would love to hear other Member's views.
Pat
I've read criticism of the musical score several times in various reviews and it's always annoyed me too. Specifically, they've said that there's no catchy tunes in the show that you find yourself humming when you leave the theatre. I admit I'm a bit biased since Elton John's music has always been a favorite of mine, but I can recall after seeing the show for the first time in 2005 having about 4 of the tunes stuck in my head as I rode the train back to Windsor where I was staying.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Well I’m another that’s annoyed about odd persons criticising the music not being catchy, for one! you can’t say Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher isn‘t catchy, it suit’s the story that’s all that matters and I agree if you put the C.D on, which I do often when I’m driving my car, you just feels as you are in the theatre, I enjoy Elton John’s own version of Electricity and really do appreciate his work in the music industry. Mind you I’m a bit cheeky I would like to have a copy of the music of the street version of Electricity and the Dream Ballet with the segway, I don’t know if that the right word for it, although I do enjoy the ballet version of Electricity.

Return to “Chat about Billy Elliot the Musical - London”