The Weir

Chat about other shows here
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

The Weir

Post by patc »

Last time I saw an Irish play in London, The Cripple of Inishmaan, I wasn't all that impressed but last Wednesday I saw another one, The Weir, at the Wyndham's and thoroughly enjoyed it. It has just a cast of five and one set - an incredibly accurate representation of a rural Irish pub with enough bottles for everyone in the audience. A witty script combined with great acting from all five keeps the play interesting throughout. However, the overall sense of jollity is brought to an end in a monologue so quietly breathtaking that for a full twenty minutes (or maybe it was longer) the audience is afraid to even breathe as the tears stream down their faces. Really stunning theatre. The cast includes Ardal O'Hanlon (Dougall in Father Ted) and Dervla Kirwan (Assumpta in Ballykissangel) both of whom are quite brilliant in their respective roles.

Frankly, I was amazed at the reaction by a predominantly English audience to this play. They were involved and absolutely loved it right from the word go and seemed to be well versed in the goings-on in an Irish rural pub. I've been to a goodly number of plays in London over the past few years and I rate this one way up there and will try to see it again if I can manage to fit it in before it finishes in April. It runs and hour and fifty minutes with no interval.

Pat
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: The Weir

Post by kport »

Thanks, Pat - I will be sure to add that to my list when I am over in six weeks' time.

On a similar Irish theme, I am going to see ONCE next week at the Straz in Tampa - it arrived here as part of the US tour. The blurb reads: Featuring an impressive ensemble of actor/musicians who play their own instruments onstage, ONCE tells the enchanting tale of a Dublin street musician who's about to give up on his dream when a beautiful young woman takes a sudden interest in his haunting love songs. As the chemistry between them grows, his music soars to powerful new heights ... but their unlikely connection turns out to be deeper and more complex than your everyday romance. Emotionally captivating and theatrically breathtaking, ONCE draws audiences in from the very first note and never lets go. It's an unforgettable story about going for your dreams ... not living in fear ... and the power of music to connect all of us.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

I missed the original movie, Bill, but it's on my list for a free Netflix month's trial starting soon, LOL. I'm not much of a fan of musicals generally so didn't even think of seeing the musical version in London.

Let's know what you think, anyway.

Pat
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

patc wrote:The cast includes Ardal O'Hanlon (Dougall in Father Ted)
This alone would make me see it. Only a handful of episodes in (on DVD), but love that show. :D

And Once is amazing!!! Saw it Twice! :D

Sean

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”