The Victoria Palace Theatre acquired by Cameron Mackintosh

StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: The Victoria Palace Theatre acquired by Cameron Mackintosh

Post by StevenKing »

kport wrote:This is actually good news. It takes BETM beyond May 2015. We knew the VPT was due for renovation at some point. BETM is the VPT; but it is more than the VPT.

Sir Cameron is expert at the 'biz'. He will see a winner; and he will see it continue, whether there; in a new venue; on tour; or after a brief hiatus, in the same venue.
He bought the theater not the show...but I'm sure he might help in someway. Not like the outcome was ever in doubt here and now we have a much more firm by date.
missedcalling
Audience Member

Post by missedcalling »

Ouch, a bit of a body blow if I do say so myself. Kind of a sad day for me when I first heard - I'm glad everyone else is taking the news better than me (I think?).

I had hopes of taking my three year old niece when she was older, but doesn't look like that's going to happen...at least in BETM's current form. I suppose I could always sneak her into one of the final shows...maybe sneak her in with the production - that would make for a good story later in life :)

In all seriousness, what are the scenarios that would see a continuation of BETM in the West End? Could BETM relocate to another theater? Could BETM begin touring? But then, would it even return to the VPT? Seems unlikely.
Here's hoping for the best.
-paul
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

missedcalling wrote:Could BETM relocate to another theater? Could BETM begin touring? But then, would it even return to the VPT? Seems unlikely.
Here's hoping for the best.
Relocating to another theatre is certainly a possibility, as "Mama Mia" switched theatres in London a couple of years ago. The only problem would be the bedroom set which rises and falls from the stage, as this would require a lot of work and expense to create the same lift system in a theatre that doesn't already have one. I'm not too familiar with other London venues, however, as there may be other theatres which already have a similar lift system in place. Or they could switch to sliding sets like the ones used in the North American tour production, which I thought worked just fine.

I suspect part of the decision at that time will be whether the show is still making money as a "sitting" production, as I assume it is since ticket sales still seem to be quite strong. It's hard to predict two years down the road, though, so I doubt a decision on BETM's future will be made until sometime next year.
Brad
George

Post by Brad »

I must admit that like missecalling it was a bit of a body blow when I first read the news. Especially all the way down here in Australia. I have been planning a visit for 2015 so that is still good news.

While it is two years away before BETM has to leave VPT, I can't help thinking that the production company would have the makings of plans already. Yes, ticket sales closer to the time would be important however they would, I think, have plans in the back of their minds.

I know when the announcement was made for Sydney to close that ticket sales picked up immediately and continued strong right up to closing but you would expect that I presume.
Cheers

Brad

Return to “Chat about Billy Elliot the Musical - London”