Armand Schultz: Jackie Elliot - Chicago, Toronto & Ogunquit

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Armand Schultz: Jackie Elliot - Chicago, Toronto & Ogunquit

Post by kport »

I must admit I have become used to seeing Billy's Dad as slightly older, a tad rotund, and with white hair. (No, wait - that is what I see when I look in the mirror!)

Armand breaks the mold. He looks mid forties, which would make sense in terms of other considerations (Tony's and Billy's age; the death of his wife a few years earlier). He is as fit as a World Cup football player. His hair is not white, but there are a few portents of grey hair appearing there. He looks 'Northern' - like a Newcastle supporter at St. James Park on any Saturday afternoon; or a bit like Noel Gallagher from the Manchester band Oasis, in that leather jacket. Imagining him as Billy's Dad is not a stretch of the imagination; again he more resembles the Dad in the movie than some (very good) Dads I have seen on Tour or at the VPT (all of whom I think have done a fine job). Armand just strikes me as being the most plausible.

He possesses perhaps the greatest range of facial and physical emotions of any of his peers. You can tell that he has it all down pat, and after four performances he and Tony have worked out a symbiotic relationship that feeds off each other. Paying a bit more to sit forward in order to watch his face alone is a very worthwhile investment.

He is another reason why this production is so strong and is being so well received.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I have been a true fan of Armand Schultz as Dad ever since I saw him in the role in Chicago. He is one of my favorite Jackie Elliots that I have seen.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

I agree Ellen. I thought he was terrific when I saw him in Chicago (the city, not the musical ;) ). He certainly played the part of a man completely overwhelmed by the circumstances around him. I found myself rooting for him as well as for Billy...
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

maria wrote: when I saw him in Chicago (the city, not the musical ;) ).
So you saw him in Chicago, not in Chicago. :)

Return to “Cast Members - Past Regional Productions”