Orlando Reviews

BEtourfan
Tony

Re: Orlando Reviews

Post by BEtourfan »

kport wrote:I went to see the production last night in Orlando. My first visit to the new tour.

As with every Billy production, there is so much to praise that it is difficult to single out what to cite and what to leave out. So I will make several comments about the good things and the changes to the production that I noted:

-the Ballet Girls looked to be the same as last year's, and I could make out Lexi. They really have it down pat, and have a number of little 'things' going on that I hadn't seen before. Brilliant!

-Cameron Clifford - simply fantastic! Samantha Blaire Cutler - nice to see a younger Debbie (like London). Excellent job! Rich Hebert just exudes Jackie. He IS Jackie. Leah Hocking got it just right. Joel Blum was as great as he was a year ago (it is interesting to note the little added 'touches'). Cullen Titmas had the right blend of righteous anger and vulnerability. Job Christenson was hilarious, adding a few extra comedic bits that had us roaring with laughter. Max Baud is solid as a rock - he and Zach performed a splendid Dream Ballet sequence. The real 'diva' of the evening was Cynthia Darlow, but we all know how wonderful she is. In fact, the whole cast was wonderful...but we have come to expect that, don't we?

-the swearing is back! Just as it is in London and was on Broadway. The audience seemed to approve; a few walked out early on because of it. Well, I hope they didn't get a refund! ;)

-we had a Small Girl (Brionna Trilling) instead of Small Boy and she did a cracking job. My only reservation is that I view Small Boy as the 'younger' Billy to serve as a counterweight to Max Baud's Older Billy, so for me I had to mentally readjust my interpretation of that role. I believe I saw a London production where one of the BGs played Small Boy as a boy. I have to think a tad more about which is better.

-there were some serious mic/sound issues in the first act. Debbie's important line 'Want to see my hoohoo' was lost entirely; and Billy's mic failed for the Angry Dance, rendering his scream/shouts almost inaudible. A shame. The mic issue led to some lines overlapping each other as actors tried to make things work. All was well in the second act which was much more confident.

-Zack Manske is a very accomplished dancer and his acting, blocking and stage presence were all spot on. He did an extremely good 'Electricity' with phenomenal dancing, for which he received a standing ovation.

I was a tad harsh about Orlando in a post yesterday; my comments were directed at the musical critics there. The audience I sat with were quite mute during the first act and not very responsive, but came alive during the second. There was a massive cheer at the line 'This boxing club supports the Arts' which makes me wonder if many there were season ticket holders? There were two standing ovations at the end. It was as though the audience came alive in time for the second half.

There were a number of walk outs during the moments when profanity was used by or in front of children; two women walked out very unhappy during the scene where Michael kisses Billy. This IS conservative Florida, after all, but I saw no such scenes in eight performances in Tampa. I would say the vast majority loved it.

The problem is, the theatre was only about 2/3rd full. :oops:
Thanks so much for the review, kport! Nicely done!!
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Here's a different take on the show from a Florida blogger:

http://transmediame.wordpress.com/2012/ ... ly-elliot/
cainmac
Small Boy

Post by cainmac »

Thanks for the great review, kport. I'm glad to hear the swearing is back, though I'm sorry that people walked out. I have a hard time with that; many in Florida are a bit conservative for my taste. I didn't see it in Tampa, either, but I'll look out this weekend.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your excellent review, kport. I too am sorry to hear about people walking out. But I really do think that people should pay attention to the warnings about the language, which obviously these people did not. As for the character of Michael, well, I'm not quite sure how they would be forewarned about that, but it's too bad that there are people who find anything about the relationship between Billy and Michael offensive.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

Here's a very positive review from Florida Today.
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/201 ... artstrings
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I just returned from the penultimate show in Orlando, this time with Ty, Jacob, Cameron and Jeremy back as Small Boy.

Wow!

It was amazing. It was slick. It was technically flawless. It was passionate. The final song when Billy says goodbye to his mother - the tears were streaming down Ty's face - and a lot of the audience, too.. But unlike Wednesday, the audience was in tune with the magic of BETM. It was a great, great audience. Rich Hebert said as much after the show. And the theatre was packed. It was a show that I will long remember. And it is one that I wish every media reviewer who wrote such lackluster reviews would see - and eat humble pie. The audience - about 95% capacity - was ecstatic! And how polite and humble was Ty after, greeting all well wishers with a smile and a word.

I wish the cast and crew a nice break until they arrive in Fort Lauderdale!
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

That's great to hear kport. :D
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

It's wonderful when everything clicks for a performance. Thanks for telling us about it, kport.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
pvmichaels
Small Boy

Post by pvmichaels »

I too want to echo kport's comment about todays matinee. Ty was just outstanding! The audience was on the edge of their seats, reacting to every bit of Ty's emotional rollercoaster throughout the show. There was even a large gasp when he slipped during 'Electricity'. They loved him, and so did I! This was the first time seeing him perform, and I wish I could see more of his performances.

This was my last of four shows and what a great way to finish! I was able to see all four Billies perform and I have nothing but good things to say about each! The Orlando audience was extremely ecstatic during two of the performances. I, like kport, want the media reviewers to eat crow if they saw some of the really ecstatic crowds! Unfortunately, not all the crowds were that way. On Friday, a guy in front of me was listening to something (sports or something), on the radio. I could hear some sounds coming from his earpiece. UGH! Then during intermission, the couple next to me, discussed the lack of a storyline, good 'hum-able' music, and lack of talent from the cast. I was floored and voiced my opinion to them, trying to stay calm at the same time. They are just were ignorant cows in my book! The crowds in Orlando are quite unique, as compared to NYC or London, or even Tampa's.

Oh well...overall, I have to say is that I do miss some of the elements from the NYC and pre-revamped tour productions. I am not crazy of the smaller, without wheels set used during the scene when Jackie is going back to work. I don't know, it looks cheap. I also didn't like the smaller (as in height) of the bedroom and kitchen. Minor parts of the set like that did bother me. Seeing both Kylend play the tall boy, along with Jacob and Cameron alternating the role was unique. Kylend's Posh Boy reminded me of when I first saw him doing it on Broadway. That was the first time seeing the show. He is so uniquely talented! Wow!!!

Overall, I saw no major issues with the tour version of the show that effects the quality of the show. It's just an awesome show in my book! :)

Mike
Broadway-
Billy- Jacob 2x, Joseph 3x, Tade 4x, Peter 4x, Alex 1x, Giuseppe 1x, Julian 2x
Michael- Jake 1x, Cameron 7x, Neil 5x, Jack 4x

North American Tour-
Billy- Daniel 2x, Giuseppe 2x, Kylend 1x, JP 1x, Ty 1x, Zach 1x, Noah 2x, Ben 2x, Mitchell 3x, Drew 1x
Michael- Griffin 2x, Jacob 4x, Cameron 2x, Sam 4x, Jake 4x

London-
Billy- Scott 1x, Ryan 4x, Adam 2x, Harris 5x, Kaine 3x, Harrison 3x, Redman 2x

Michael- Joe M 5x, Connor L 4x, Connor K 4x, Reece 3x, thomas 2x, Jack 2x
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

pvmichaels wrote:Then during intermission, the couple next to me, discussed the lack of a storyline, good 'hum-able' music, and lack of talent from the cast.
Although I certainly don't agree with the commenters, I can sort of understand the part about "lack of a storyline and good 'hum-mable' music," as these are complaints that have been raised by critics. We have seen them many times. But to accuse the cast of lacking talent completely boggles my mind. :?

Thanks for your review, Mike.
Ellen

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”