Austin Reviews

maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Austin Reviews

Post by maria »

Yes indeed Robert, thank you for the wonderful and very emotion filled review.

I was hoping Kylend would hang around for one more tour stop in Baltimore, but it was not to be. I am glad I got to see him once in DC last year, as it was a memorable performance. Thanks to your wonderful review, I got some sense of his last evening with the show.

maria
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Yes, thanks for your review of Kylend's final show, Robert. It's good to know that we had a forum member there to tell us about the show. It seems it was a wonderful and emotional show, and I'm glad you shared it with us.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

Well captured, BillyBob. I also had the privilege of experiencing this Friday night in Austin, a real Tour de force with extra special magic, some of which could only be appreciated by BETM veterans. Even if the audience was clued in to the event when Steven Minning, the Supervising Resident Director, started off the show with a special announcement. Recounting the 4.5 year journey for Kylend when he first auditioned for BETM in Dearborn MI, through Broadway and onto the Tour.

As BillyBob noted, the Ben and Kylend scenes were even more showstoppers than normal this night. This was my first time seeing Ben play Michael, so I don't know exactly how much of Ben's hamming was special for tonight's performance. But whatever the case, it was belly-laughing sheer delight. I haven't had the privilege of seeing a Michael do a full split just ahead of the Nutcracker line, and that was really impressive and very effective. Kylend must have appreciated Ben's performance almost as much as the spectators, judging by his unintended laughter, not once, but twice.

Born to Boogie was another fantabulous highlight of the show. Absolutely flawless, including several crossovers in the jump rope routine. The way Kylend makes it appear effortless while we all know it is actually very tricky is one standout characteristic of Kylend's. And who knows if tonight was the last Billy flip off the piano that we will see on Tour. Marvelous.

It was understandable, but still a nice part of the experience, when the sniffles and tears were evident even before the start of The Letter Reprise (or Dear Billy, Billy's Reply as it is now listed). Chock full of emotion all the way through Billy's walk down the aisle which required him to brush away tears several times. And then a whole different emotion on the charge back to the stage - almost running over a couple who deigned to leave right then - with a bunch of whoops during a joyous finale and celebration of the completion of the journey.

Way to go, Kylend!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for your account as well, atreyu. It was a really special night!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks, atreyu! Well written and very enjoyable to read.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Thank you for the very well-written accounts of Kylend's last performance as Billy. It sounds like it was a great show and that he went out on a high note. Glad, also, to hear that the resident director made an announcement beforehand acknowledging Kylend's contributions to the show over the past several years and letting the audience know they were in for an extra-special evening.
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

Todd wrote:Glad, also, to hear that the resident director made an announcement beforehand acknowledging Kylend's contributions to the show over the past several years and letting the audience know they were in for an extra-special evening.
That also reminds me of a couple other little things, although still significant. At the final curtain call, Kylend was presented with the traditional flowers by Cal. And although there have been statements in advance about collecting for BCEFA during this Austin stop, that did not happen this performance. A real good thing, allowing Kylend to remain front and center.
tankntonic
Ballet Girl

Post by tankntonic »

"See ya Ben , yea, see ya Kylend:
What a sad, but wonderful evening.
There’s not much that I can add to the excellent reviews posted by Billy Bob and Atreyu , just a few personal observations.
My first Kylend experience was on a cold , rainy night in Denver on May 11, 2011. He came out for the first act and was , of course, brilliant. In the second act he was replaced by Giuseppe, I never found out why. Since, I have been so lucky..six more performances all over the USA, but this one , number eight, was just magical.

I had seen Ben once as Michael, but this was a whole different Ben last night.
Both guys have grown physically (obviously) and as Artists. They now are real pros and the other actors show them the respect that they richly deserve.
The highlight was electricity, he was so on top of his game, just incredible. He gave it his all and the audience responded with glee. Just at the very end, I glanced at Rich Hebert sitting on the chair, he had an amazing smile on his face, a smile I would describe as full of pride.
The letter scene- Kylend and Kat were both fighting to say their lines, it was really moving.
Ben: well, Ben was just amazing, he did his best to make Kylend crack up in the funny scenes. In express, he stretched out the face and hand gestures until Kylend just had to laugh. During the bit before dream ballet when Michael is trying to get Billy to dance; after a very loud cheek pop, Ben got right in Ky’s face and made faces until Ky ( and the audience) all broke up . His complete split, as Atreyu described it, was awesome as was the scream of pain.
When Ky ran back up to the stage for the finale, Ben was waiting for him with a big hug, for some reason, I found that to be the most emotional bit all night.
After the show, I went out to the stage door, there were a lot of emotion there as well, I was told that Kylend’s mum and his younger brother were both in tears, luckily for them, when Ky and Ben came out; there was also a whole group of cute teen age girls. I didn’t stay long as my friends were anxious to leave.

I’m so glad I made the trip to Austin wish I could stay for more, but I’m already back home as I type this. Thank you Kylend for a great Billy career, seven and a half times I have seen this wonderful guy perform, each one an improvement on the last. You cannot ask for more than that !
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

Saturday 12/15 matinee, Drew Minard's debut:

Totally. Genuine. Billy.

That's my best description of Drew today in an excellent debut. Much more to write about, but that will be later.
manuelsl
Audience Member

Post by manuelsl »

I'm a native Austinite, and Friday night was a special night for me watching Billy Elliot. I've seen it twice previous-- On Broadway, and in Chicago. Nothing hit me harder emotionally than the show on Friday in Austin. Thank you Robert for the very well-said review. I agree totally with what you said. I laughed, and I cried. And the show continues to always transform me. Kylend was stunning and I was sad to find out it was his last show, but alas with all good things, it came to an end. I wish there was someway to keep track of how the "Billy's" do after they retire from the role. Thanks again to everyone for their touching reviews. I am new to this Forum and I'm glad I joined. Take care!

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”