Boston Reviews

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Boston Reviews

Post by kport »

I saw 'both' Georges play the role last week. And I enjoyed the different ways each played the part. Joel Blum has been in that role since day one of the Tour, and I think the bit of comic relief he provides during both the boxing scene and the prelude to the second half is just right, as the opening to the first act is rather dark (and a little confusing to those who know neither the background to the miners' strike nor how to interpret the Geordie accent. I imagine some were sitting there, wondering if the next two and a half hours would be miserable). I do not know about other venues but the huge crowds at Boston were often still out of their seats when the three boys went shouting down the aisles at the start of the second act; George had to act as the sort of headmaster bring an unruly assembly to order with a bit of humor. And the boxing scene is so funny now - with all sorts of new little things going on. Not only did the audience respond with loud laughter, but the kids in the audience (of which there were many) really enjoyed Joel Blum's George. We can agree to disagree, but at the end of the day I will side with the majority of the punters on this one.
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

I will admit to being a little biased by Broadway's original George, Joel Hatch, who interpreted the character just right, imho.

And what is it with the George role being played by actors named Joel? :lol:
inspired
Tall Boy

Post by inspired »

kport wrote:Joel Blum has been in that role since day one of the Tour, and I think the bit of comic relief he provides during both the boxing scene and the prelude to the second half is just right, as the opening to the first act is rather dark... And the boxing scene is so funny now - with all sorts of new little things going on. Not only did the audience respond with loud laughter, but the kids in the audience (of which there were many) really enjoyed Joel Blum's George. We can agree to disagree, but at the end of the day I will side with the majority of the punters on this one.
I have to agree. I think the character is comic relief and that Joel is really good in the part. I've never had a problem with his delivery. I can't say the same about the actor who played Jackie in Toronto - now THAT was mugging which didn't fit the character.
28 shows, 17 Billys, 11 cities
inspired
Tall Boy

Post by inspired »

mikey2573 wrote: But there are other lines from Billy and Michael that would be more effective if they were toned down. For example, Michael's "Well, I'd miss ya." is always delivered too loud and too fast. I would much rather have a quiter softer moment there.
I have really thought the same lately - why are they rushing that line? It gets lost and I don't believe many in the audience even hear it clearly. With all the precision in this show, I'm surprised at the directing choice (or the fact that notes aren't given if it isn't the director's call).
28 shows, 17 Billys, 11 cities
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I have always found the line near the beginning, when a girl rushes in to the kitchen tell Tony and others to get away because 'they're bustin' the scabs in Earny' almost unintelligible, and I lived there for several years. It seems to pass right over US audiences. Perhaps 'Quick! Tony! You've got to go now! The police are arresting everybody they find!' would make more sense.
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

kport wrote:I have always found the line near the beginning, when a girl rushes in to the kitchen tell Tony and others to get away because 'they're bustin' the scabs in Earny' almost unintelligible, and I lived there for several years. It seems to pass right over US audiences. Perhaps 'Quick! Tony! You've got to go now! The police are arresting everybody they find!' would make more sense.
I believe it's Leslie's line ... "Oy! The police are bussin' the scabs in early ... come on!"
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

It's "bussin' " as in "bringing them in on a bus."

Does anyone else have a review to add to this thread?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

BEtourfan wrote:
kport wrote:I have always found the line near the beginning, when a girl rushes in to the kitchen tell Tony and others to get away because 'they're bustin' the scabs in Earny' almost unintelligible, and I lived there for several years. It seems to pass right over US audiences. Perhaps 'Quick! Tony! You've got to go now! The police are arresting everybody they find!' would make more sense.
I believe it's Leslie's line ... "Oy! The police are bussin' the scabs in early ... come on!"
Exactly my point. I live ten miles from Easington for three years in the late 1970s. I did not detect 'bussin'. It is Not Geordie, RP English, or even Fenway Park English that is rushed.....if I hear 'bustin'; then it IS wrong..it is 'boohsin', not 'buhsin'.

In any event, the delivery is far, far too fast. Even a guest I brought to the show from Newcastle looked at me and said 'What was that?' It works in London.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

However you spell it, it certainly isn't "bustin'. " And that goes for the London show as well as the touring one on this side of the Atlantic. Still, I take your point about the delivery being too fast.

Just as a note of interest: That line used to be delivered in London by Tall Boy, not Lesley. He would run in through the red doors on stage right just as Lesley does now. I'm not sure when it was changed, maybe when the show began on Broadway. Many of the changes that were made at that time also worked their way into the London show.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:However you spell it, it certainly isn't "bustin'. " And that goes for the London show as well as the touring one on this side of the Atlantic. Still, I take your point about the delivery being too fast.

Just as a note of interest: That line used to be delivered in London by Tall Boy, not Lesley. He would run in through the red doors on stage right just as Lesley does now. I'm not sure when it was changed, maybe when the show began on Broadway. Many of the changes that were made at that time also worked their way into the London show.
Well. Then let's move on...

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”