Boston Reviews

atreyu
George

Re: Boston Reviews

Post by atreyu »

Some general thoughts and observations from the entire weekend and then separately I'll have some more to say about Sunday's shows in another post.

It was convenient, but also a bit sobering, this weekend to be recognized on sight at the Will Call window, not have to show an ID and have my tickets handed over forthwith.

Patrick Wetzel played Mr. Braithwaite only one time on the weekend, Saturday evening with Kylend. Only a couple slight differences from Job Christenson in the B2B scene, right down to the response to the "He took an evening class at Sunderland College" (two middle fingers). So I guess that must be scripted now? Both Patrick and Job, of course, are still quite distinct from Thommie Retter in the area of "proper dancing".

Also in Saturday evening's performance, an announcement was made at intermission that Tracy Atkinson would be played by Alison Solomon for the rest of the show. Alison continued in that role for both Sunday shows as well.

Now having seen Christopher M. Howard as Older Billy for a handful of performances, I still think there are a few rough edges that need to be smoothed whenever he's lifting or spinning Billy, on the ground and in the air. Yes, the bar is set high (no pun intended) by Stephen Hanna and Max Baud. Those are, nevertheless, the shoes that need to be filled.

Of the four performances where I've seen Kylend during this Boston run, only one time did he do the Billy flip off the piano. This makes it uniform across the Billys doing a Billy jump off the piano, but the flip is a spectacle.

Was great to meet up with fifemajor. And kport, johnnyc and a couple others, but special mention for fifemajor since he takes such wonderful pictures. Readily apparent that I might as well put my camera away since there's no way I'll get as good shots as he does.
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

Sunday August 19 matinee with Noah/Sam/Cameron

I've posted my views on Noah elsewhere on the forum so it will be sufficient for this review to say he met most all the expectations, even as high as they were. Once again, not perfect, merely extremely impressive.

One last time I got to see a clean jump rope segment of B2B. First two Boston shows I saw were complete successes with jump rope, then all others except this one were not. Good to have that streak broken. Testifies to how hard it really is even when it looks so easy when Billy gets all the way through cleanly.

Starting Act 2, the lineup of Sam, Noah and Cameron neatly emphasized how they're just about exactly the same height. I can just imagine the contrasting combination of Ethan, Kylend and Zach in a line.

I think Noah's size allows him to be more free with the part of Angry Dance that occurs in the bedroom. For Ben and Kylend, that space must be a bit too cramped.

There was a boy of about 10 I'd guess a couple seats away from me with his mom in between. This led to the following sequence:

Debbie: If you want, I'll show you me hoo-hoo.
(Billy reaction)
Billy: Nah, it's okay.
Audience Boy to Mom: What is that?

It was a most excellent stroke of good luck for the Tour that Noah was ready to start his Billy career at the right time and that he's so good. His friends and family made up a sizable part of the crowd at every performance of his. Must also be quite some debates about the publishing of schedules in advance as was done with Noah. I believe it sold more tickets that way, but I'm sure there are also arguments for not allowing that information out into the wild.

Does seeing 6 shows with Noah as Billy within 4 weeks constitute a "flood" of Noah? :D Wouldn't really mind if it were 40 days/nights instead. (Sorry, I'll stick to my day job)
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

Sunday August 19 evening with Ben/Cameron/Ethan

Had to watch this show from the mezzanine, since my buddy was so late to commit to seeing BETM that the only orchestra seats available were last couple rows. Just not as good a vantage point up there. My buddy acknowledged BETM is a good show, but then he told another friend who hasn't seen BETM about me seeing two BETMs in one day and that friend started giving me grief. Alas, what we have to put up with from the unenlightened. ;)

We had another instance tonight of the laces of Billy's boxing gloves getting in a knot that could not be untied. Ben adapted well and made it through without any consequences.

I would have to characterize the audience this evening as a bit rambunctious. Right after intermission and George's query Are we downhearted? Audience responds with a hearty NO, but then someone from the audience yells Yes. Okay, that happens occasionally.

But then when the Pit Official is taking attendance with the scabs and calls Summers, someone from the audience yells Here. Couldn't tell if it was the same individual.
(Yes, I know on Broadway it was "Pit Supervisor". The current Playbill says "Pit Official".)

On the other hand, when Ben performed his first aerial in Electricity, there was a clear OOH! gasp from the crowd. Ben's aerials are indeed fantastic to watch. Even from the mezzanine.

Although an announcement was made for Cameron's final show, there were no flowers presented to him at the curtain call. I've only been to one show previously where a Michael was leaving and that was Broadway when Gabe Rush received flowers. Has that been seen on the Tour?

This being the final night in Boston and with a couple actors leaving the show, the cast hung around the stage door for some time instead of heading straight for the bus as is customary with evening performances. As has been reported, Peter Mazurowski was there too. So we had 5 Billys for a while.

Hated to see this day come, since it signified the end of the Boston run. Managing to hold off the BETM withdrawal syndrome for a while, but it is sure to come. Which means I'd better start planning my next BETM Tour trip... ;)
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

atreyu wrote:Although an announcement was made for Cameron's final show, there were no flowers presented to him at the curtain call. I've only been to one show previously where a Michael was leaving and that was Broadway when Gabe Rush received flowers. Has that been seen on the Tour?
I don't think they do flowers on the tour. There were none for Jacob after his last show, as I recall.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

atreyu wrote:Both Patrick and Job, of course, are still quite distinct from Thommie Retter in the area of "proper dancing".
Well said. Audience doesn't know any better, so it's all wonderful, but Thommie was so much fun to watch during that number on Broadway.
atreyu wrote:Of the four performances where I've seen Kylend during this Boston run, only one time did he do the Billy flip off the piano. This makes it uniform across the Billys doing a Billy jump off the piano, but the flip is a spectacle.
Happy to hear of the one Billy flip at least! I was thinking maybe because Zach was injured and still technically out even though the boot's off now, that there may have been a directive to be extra careful. Removing that flip is a solid easy decision at that point.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

atreyu wrote:One last time I got to see a clean jump rope segment of B2B. First two Boston shows I saw were complete successes with jump rope, then all others except this one were not. Good to have that streak broken. Testifies to how hard it really is even when it looks so easy when Billy gets all the way through cleanly.
For the record, I would be wearing a boot after one try at that. ;)
atreyu wrote:Does seeing 6 shows with Noah as Billy within 4 weeks constitute a "flood" of Noah? :D Wouldn't really mind if it were 40 days/nights instead. (Sorry, I'll stick to my day job)
Oh dear. :(

Thanks Atreyu! =)
Sean
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

atreyu wrote:My buddy acknowledged BETM is a good show, but then he told another friend who hasn't seen BETM about me seeing two BETMs in one day and that friend started giving me grief. Alas, what we have to put up with from the unenlightened. ;)
I like that! =)
But then when the Pit Official is taking attendance with the scabs and calls Summers, someone from the audience yells Here. Couldn't tell if it was the same individual.
(Yes, I know on Broadway it was "Pit Supervisor". The current Playbill says "Pit Official".)
1) I think that's awesome that someone did that, very funny! :D
2) I wonder if Pit Supervisor is mistaken for orchestra pit supervisor, whereas Pit Official better infers something in the show.
This being the final night in Boston and with a couple actors leaving the show, the cast hung around the stage door for some time instead of heading straight for the bus as is customary with evening performances. As has been reported, Peter Mazurowski was there too. So we had 5 Billys for a while.
The kids provide a unique energy and joy at stage door, so I hope they've all gotten used to our wanting to give them our appreciation when we can. It's a public space, yeah, but so often private time for actors to be with their family and many times former castmates. I'm so happy Peter was there and I hope he enjoyed the show. Billy Broadway lives on not just with the guests of the tour but several of the actors too!
Hated to see this day come, since it signified the end of the Boston run. Managing to hold off the BETM withdrawal syndrome for a while, but it is sure to come. Which means I'd better start planning my next BETM Tour trip... ;)
I'm glad the tour came to your hometown, atreyu, and that you were able to catch a bunch of shows. And thanks again for the help and guidance in getting my tickets. Much appreciated! Here's hoping you get to see the show again before it hits New England again next year!

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Last time I was in London the lady beside me at one of the shows answered when her surname was called. I think it may also have been Summers. I'm reasonably sure it wasn't Gormley.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

ERinVA wrote:Last time I was in London the lady beside me at one of the shows answered when her surname was called. I think it may also have been Summers. I'm reasonably sure it wasn't Gormley.
Love it! :D
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

angelenroute wrote:2) I wonder if Pit Supervisor is mistaken for orchestra pit supervisor, whereas Pit Official better infers something in the show.
Excellent point.
angelenroute wrote:I'm glad the tour came to your hometown, atreyu, and that you were able to catch a bunch of shows.
Yeah, the 12-mile one-way commute was a heck of a lot better than 220 miles to Broadway!

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”