August 2010 - Reviews - London

burtond
Michael

Re: August 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by burtond »

Keith,

I've come to the conclusion that you must be employed by someone in the Billy Family somewhere. What with the number of times you are lucky enough to see the show and then the countless hours you clearly put in to reviewing each and every show - its phenominal. You must let the resut of us know who the sponsor is as we would all like some of that. Hope the hourly rate is good! :lol: :lol:

Seriously though - its pure magic to read these reviews Keith. Love the passion and emotion woven through them. Keep 'em coming mate!
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
LinaSurvives
Audience Member

Post by LinaSurvives »

Tuesday 3rd August

As I'm not the only one to write something about this stunning performance it's obviously clear that Ollie brought the house down last tuesday. It was my second time seeing the show, and since I'm from Holland I was very grateful to be at the Victoria Palace again. Two years ago I saw Billy, and since then I've never loved a musical that much, it is truly one of the best things to have experencied, ever. A big part of making Billy so special, is the portrayal of young Billy, wich was (in my eyes) perfectly done by the very tiny Fox when I saw it for the first time, I know many people have a special feeling about their first Billy, and that is certainly true for me. But after seeing Ollie I've made up my mind, all these Billy's are fantastic, and I could compare them, but to me is their talent so stunning it doesn't even cross my mind to think that one could be better than another.

I loved Craig as Tony, his acting is so extremely good, Tony's an aggressive (and sometimes even a bit scary) character, but Craig also shows us why Tony is the way he is. You can see the pain in this lad, and in 'he could be a star' I had tears rolling down my face, because all that pain is coming out of Tony, the way he tries to fight his dad is so painful to watch, you can't help but feeling really sorry and even feel sympathy for him. David Bardsley as Dad did an awesome job as well, just like Caroline as Mrs. Wilkinson. The people who were with me saw it for the first time and commented on the fact that both were terrific actors, which I think is absolutely true.
Francesca had a whole own interpretation of Debbie, she's a charming girl, and her 'She's sexually frustrated' line is incredibly funny. Jake has also his entire own style, in particular his affection for Billy was very well played, not to mention the guy is very, very funny. And then Ollie, who is so completely different than Fox. Ollie's Billy is a bit older, streetwise, and cheeky. He's very cheerful, always smiling and really believes the words he's singing in 'expressing yourself'. Ollie's speaking voice is quite low (for someone that small) and seemed to struggle a bit with the higher notes, but he has truly a lovely tone while singing. His acting was really good, before Billy I couldn't imagine any child acting his socks off this way. His Angry Dance was mindblowing, all the people next to me had their mouths hanging open in shock, and Swan Lake had me in tears. I must say that the Swan Lake is my favorite bit in the entire musical, it had me crying both times I saw it. Ollie and Barnaby danced perfectly synchronic and the chemistry between those two was almost sparkling, they seemed to feel the music everywhere in their body which made them float along the music, it was beautiful. Electricity was as usual great, once again Ollie felt the words he sang, and made us believe them. The applause at the end was long, but greatly deserved. One of the other beautiful things was the chemistry between Ollie and Jake, the scene were Billy gives Michael his kiss was perfect, and really made me feel that Billy might even like Michael the way Michael likes Billy.

There's nothing more to say, I think. Once again I was left in awe by this incredible story, and an awesome cast, this is a show I will always love.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Hi
Thanks and thanks again for your great reviews, Keith.
Totally agree with your comments, Athina.

Barry
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Hi all

Typical...

I PM several members about the lack of reviews, then turn to the review page and find bucket loads of reviews. All beautifully crafted and informative as usual. I don't know how you keep seeing the same show, yet still find fantastic new things to write about to keep the reviews fresh and fun to read.

Well I'm back at the show tomorrow night B17 to B23, so reviews back to the usual cliched plagiarized drivel from me. Sorry in advance.

Hope to see some forum there on what is normally "No Show Forum Tuesday". How else can I get 6 seats in row B at short notice!!!
From "Billy no mates Alex"
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

AJ HOLDEN wrote:Hi all

Typical...

I PM several members about the lack of reviews, then turn to the review page and find bucket loads of reviews. All beautifully crafted and informative as usual. I don't know how you keep seeing the same show, yet still find fantastic new things to write about to keep the reviews fresh and fun to read.

Well I'm back at the show tomorrow night B17 to B23, so reviews back to the usual cliched plagiarized drivel from me. Sorry in advance.

Hope to see some forum there on what is normally "No Show Forum Tuesday". How else can I get 6 seats in row B at short notice!!!
From "Billy no mates Alex"
Enjoy the show Alex. I would normally be there on a Tuesday but I have tkaen this week as holiday. See you soon. Look forward to your review!
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
KeefyM
Michael

Post by KeefyM »

Thanks for the comments on the reviews everyone, much appreciated. :D

As an update to an earlier post in regards to Dean's 3 shows last week, I now believe Aaron did an extra show as well
- the Saturday matinee instead of Ollie who was unwell with a bad cough or something.
so just to say Well Done Aaron for your extra show last week as well.

Enjoy the show tonight Alex, looking forward to reading another one of your brilliant & funny reviews.

Great reviews, Dave, Nic and LinaSurvives, really enjoyed reading them.

As usual, keep the reviews coming folks!. :D
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Tuesday 10th August

Dean-Charles/Connor/Emily

I've had the pleasure of seeing 11 other theatre productions/concerts since my last Billy visit 5 weeks ago, all fantastic productions, even Ivan Vasiliev in DQ at CG, yet when I mention any of these productions and their attributes to family or friends, the conversation always comes back to Billy and how these completely contrasting shows compare to "our" Billy. Vasiliev aside, they don't come close. Not by a mile.

The whole team worked hard tonight to please a quiet and contrary audience. Curiously Dad got the biggest laughs tonight in the audition otherwise very mute at times, even for King Connor. Dean on cracking form and his acting has come on since I last saw him in June. He definately has far more emotion than the other current Billy's convey and for the first time I clocked and felt some really powerful emotions during the farewell with Mrs W. I have criticised this scene numerous times in the past, but today it was played to utter perfection. Some well deserved ovations at the end and all the dancing was top notch - even perfect skipping which does make B2B more enjoyable.
My Billy virigin guests thoroughly enjoyed the show. One was a PC of 30 years experience who managed to buy a car on the overtime while policing the Nottinghamshire coal area during the strike and he was having a good old chuckle and nodding his head with the memories during Solidarity. He used the line (as i do still) about keeping the peace when there's nowt going on, so we're doing a good job then aren't we. Always one of our favourites.

Nathan my ten year son was leaving the theatre at the end and demostrated a brilliant piroutte to another of my Billy Virgin guests in the foyer. A group of Texan woman saw him do it and said "There he is, Oh isn't he a darling". Nathan actually looks like Rhys but is exactly the right height and build for Dean, so along with his light T-shirt and jeans and in a different light I can see why they got confused. I was having a giggle but had to move in because the monkey was about to sign their programme. Sorry to steal your limelight Dean and thanks for another fantastic show.

Alex.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for the reviews everybody.

I can't say my usual "keep 'em coming" as I'm at the VP tonight so I suppose I better write a review :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Brilliant little review Alex. Love the bit about Nathan stealing the limelight from Dean. Good on him. I wonder wht he would have written in their programme if he'd got there before you?

Enjoy the performance tonight Billy Whiz and yes, we're definately looking forward to a review too. Don't let us down now!
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

Ah you stopped Nathan in his moment of fame!
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)

Return to “Reviews Archive”