Orlando Reviews

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Orlando Reviews

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:I see that the reviewer has moved the story to Ireland, and he also thinks that George was played by Cullen Titmas. :roll:
Yes, Ellen! That proves my theory about Orlando's critics!!!!!
cainmac
Small Boy

Post by cainmac »

Did anybody notice this portion of my review?

One last note that was very interesting to me…one of the Bob Carr support staff mentioned to me that the reason the second week was canceled was because of the NBA All Star game coming to Orlando next week. I asked the Orlando Venues guard at the stage door and he confirmed it. Actually, the NBA has been pretty heavy-handed about a number of things around the All Star Game, so it doesn’t surprise me that they wouldn’t want any other major events going on nearby.

I just wanted to emphasize that it mightn't have been ticket sales that caused the cancellation. I think that would be good news for the tour.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Yes I noticed that portion of your review. That's a shame if that was the only reason. I find it hard to believe a sports event would be so massive as to preempt all other cultural and entertainment events in the same city. The All Star game is big, but it's not the Super Bowl (or is it?). How close are the venues for the game and the show?

Still if you look on the bright side, it probably meant that the houses for the week BETM did play in Orlando were fuller than they might have been. Always leave them wanting more. ;)
:/
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

CJ-Rochester wrote:How close are the venues for the game and the show?
They are about a mile apart from each other. The game is at the Amway Center.
cainmac
Small Boy

Post by cainmac »

The venue used to be right next door, but the new arena is a few block away. But the NBA has locked down much of downtown for "security" reasons. The City of Orlando has even dealt with a lawsuit from nearby business because of it.

Absolutely, there is no doubt in my mind that the nearly full houses we experienced were because of the abbreviated visit. You know, since it was cut short, I think they need to bring it back here sooner. Maybe the higher attendance will be an incentive. :D
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

cainmac wrote:The venue used to be right next door, but the new arena is a few block away. But the NBA has locked down much of downtown for "security" reasons. The City of Orlando has even dealt with a lawsuit from nearby business because of it.

Absolutely, there is no doubt in my mind that the nearly full houses we experienced were because of the abbreviated visit. You know, since it was cut short, I think they need to bring it back here sooner. Maybe the higher attendance will be an incentive. :D
To tie in a week's stay in Orlando to coincide with the February school break in 2013 will guarantee a full house.
cainmac
Small Boy

Post by cainmac »

Sounds like a plan, kport!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

kport wrote:There were a number of walk outs during the moments when profanity was used by or in front of children; two women walked out very unhappy during the scene where Michael kisses Billy. This IS conservative Florida, after all, but I saw no such scenes in eight performances in Tampa. I would say the vast majority loved it.
Thanks for your review, kport! I'm saddened to hear about the walkouts but I can't help but feel invigorated by the fact that so many people would have seen people like that leave and felt all the stronger about "our" wonderful show. Most importantly, they are the vast, tiny, insignificant minority, and the morality and substance of Billy Elliot The Musical are much bigger than them.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

kport wrote:It was amazing. It was slick. It was technically flawless. It was passionate. The final song when Billy says goodbye to his mother - the tears were streaming down Ty's face - and a lot of the audience, too.. But unlike Wednesday, the audience was in tune with the magic of BETM. It was a great, great audience. Rich Hebert said as much after the show. And the theatre was packed. It was a show that I will long remember. And it is one that I wish every media reviewer who wrote such lackluster reviews would see - and eat humble pie. The audience - about 95% capacity - was ecstatic! And how polite and humble was Ty after, greeting all well wishers with a smile and a word.

I wish the cast and crew a nice break until they arrive in Fort Lauderdale!
LOVED LOVED LOVED reading this, thank you! =)
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

pvmichaels wrote:Kylend's Posh Boy reminded me of when I first saw him doing it on Broadway. That was the first time seeing the show. He is so uniquely talented! Wow!!!
Isn't it amazing how Kylend performing that part brings Broadway history alive again? I mean he hasn't performed the Tall Boy part on Broadway for years, but we still remember him doing that! Just your simple description gives me goosebumps. =) Thanks Mike!

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”