January 2010 Reviews - NYC

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: January 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by ERinVA »

1. Now y'all just stop making fun of my fellow southerners! 8-) We are not all ignorant fools even though we may say "y'all" or "you-uns." After all, they had sense enough to come to see the show, didn't they? However, I would agree that they should have put the cameras away, even though I would venture to say there are plenty of people from other climes who do the same thing.

2. Cincinnati, you mention that Trent came into the show with a dance background, but then you seem to be saying that he did not, which meant he had to catch up with Kiril and David. Perhaps you meant that he came in with a different dance background than theirs? His training covered a wider range of styles than theirs, which means that their more focused classical ballet training gave them the advantage in Electricity. But he certainly had the advantage in tap!

3. Also, just a note: The number that was done in the Macy's parade was "Shine," not "Angry Dance."

4. Porschesrule, did I miss something? I didn't see any references to Jacob Clemente. I only saw references to Jake Schwencke, the new Michael.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Ellen,

I NEVER thought I'd ever say this, because you rarely miss anything, but in this case you did :)
cincinnati wrote:(Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher)
When asked if we were down hearted, few replied. I did with a no for Joel. Little half-pint Seth hit a homer drawing a laugh with a “Yes”. Jake and Jacob Clemente had great expressions on their faces
cincinnati wrote:(Royal Ballet school scene)
Greg is downright funny in this scene, he is really good. I want to talk about a little part of this scene and an actor that gets overlooked and that is Jacob Clemente, he plays this part really good, quite convincing, I just hope he doesn’t get to tall to fast before he gets a chance to “Shine”
It's very possible it was Jacob as I have no idea who the understudy is for Kylend now and maybe Jacob was pressed into service if Kylend was sick or not available. Just wondered.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for pointing me to it. I searched the review, but I lost Jacob in there.... :?
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

porschesrule wrote: It's very possible it was Jacob as I have no idea who the understudy is for Kylend now and maybe Jacob was pressed into service if Kylend was sick or not available. Just wondered.
Jacob is listed in the program as understudy for both Michael and Tall Boy / Posh Boy. It will be a little confusing as we get used to having both a Jake and Jacob in the cast.
:/
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

CJ: Jacob is listed in the current program as the u/s for Michael and Tall Boy/Posh Boy? I thought he was full time in Billy Camp.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I think he is, but I suppose that doesn't preclude his understudying those roles. The two Michaels back each other up, and if a tall boy had to leave mid-show for some reason, I expect the backup Billy or Michael would finish out that performance as tall boy.
If, however, it was known before the show started that a tall boy would be out, he would be called in. If both Michaels were out, then he would be called upon to fill that role. I think tall boys routinely understudy Michael. At least Keean did before he actually moved into the role as a regular Michael. This is just my guess, of course.
Ellen

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I agree with Ellen's response. Billy school is in town, so if it is known ahead of time that Jacob is needed it's not like he has to travel far.
:/
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

CJ-Rochester wrote:I agree with Ellen's response. Billy school is in town, so if it is known ahead of time that Jacob is needed it's not like he has to travel far.
I suppose that could be the case -- but knowing how much the entire cast rehearses due to the multiple people playing some roles and the need to keep understudies sharp, it just seems like that would take a chunk of time away from Jacob's Billy studying each week as I can't imagine him as u/s for those two roles without rehearsal.
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

ERinVA wrote:1. Now y'all just stop making fun of my fellow southerners! 8-) We are not all ignorant fools even though we may say "y'all" or "you-uns." After all, they had sense enough to come to see the show, didn't they? However, I would agree that they should have put the cameras away, even though I would venture to say there are plenty of people from other climes who do the same thing.

2. Cincinnati, you mention that Trent came into the show with a dance background, but then you seem to be saying that he did not, which meant he had to catch up with Kiril and David. Perhaps you meant that he came in with a different dance background than theirs? His training covered a wider range of styles than theirs, which means that their more focused classical ballet training gave them the advantage in Electricity. But he certainly had the advantage in tap!

3. Also, just a note: The number that was done in the Macy's parade was "Shine," not "Angry Dance."

4. Porschesrule, did I miss something? I didn't see any references to Jacob Clemente. I only saw references to Jake Schwencke, the new Michael.
Thanks for setting me straight.....You are right Trent I should have said didn't have the extensive ballet background that Kiril and David had.....And it was a slip of thought...I knew it was Shine at Macy's.....And for the Southern thing.....I am not from the South....I am a native of Ohio...but I have a second home in the deepest part of the South you can get.....in fact the Presdient of the Confederate States of America lived about a one mile from my second house......LOL....
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Just thought I would mention, by the way, that Trent's dance school, Dorothy's School of Dance, has produced two cast members for BETM. There's Trent, of course--not only a Tony winner, no less, but a Billy on both sides of the Atlantic--and there's Emily Richardson, who is one of the ballet girls in the upcoming Chicago production. :D I guess Dorothy must be doing something right. ;)
Ellen

Return to “Reviews Archive”