Post by BillyAddict »

Sunday 14th March

Billy - Michael
Michael - Trevor
Debbie - Izzy
Tall Boy - Kyland
Small Boy - Seth

Stunning !!!!!

Billy Elliot the Musical as good as it gets!

Michael's greatest performance as Billy? I am convinced it was.

He was totally on fire tonight. For the first time in NY his parents were together at a show and perhaps the added incentive made Michael lift what is always a high quality performance to a performance of exquisite quality.

The audience that was there were so very privileged to see what Michael served up.

Amazingly powerful Angry Dance, the strongest I have ever seen Michael give. Venomous anger, blood chilling screams and wonderful crisp tap.

Sheer ballet beauty in Dream Ballet, the whole audience gave a very long applause, which fore bode what happened with his Electricity.

The audience rose as one to a thunderous standing ovation that went on and on. Michael doing on this occasion what he used to do when Richard Piper was dad in Sydney and Melbourne, he teared up, acting out the pent up emotion of showing his stage dad just what he was capable of. It's a unique and wonderful finish which is special to Michael Dameski. The audience responded, overwhelmed by the totality of the performance. I could see members of the orchestra looking up at the conductor asking what was going on as the audience stood and stood clapping and cheering Michael performance!

Needless to say, a full house standing ovation was also achieved at the end.

It was the same cast with Michael as per Friday night except Merle Louise performed as Grandma and she did a very good performane I felt. I like how she paused before stating "bastard" when describing her husband to Billy.

Special praise to Trevor Braun who is an amazing Michael. Plays the character as camp as I have seen it done and plays it superbly. His interaction with Michael was pure enjoyment.

I am loving the whole NY production. The changes made are nearly all an improvement is conveying the story line more clearly to the audience. Absolutly love the music and atmosphere developed when they sing "take this and this"

The sound in NY is also brilliant. Great orchestra and wonderful work by the sound technicians. The tap sound is so crisp and clear. Wonderful.

Thank you to Tommy Ritter for taking the Aussie fans visiting on a back stage tour after the show. Made what was a brilliant show even more special.

A totally fullfilling awesome performance by Michael on top of Dayton's stunning show last night. Made this Aussie so proud.
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Re: March 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by BillyAddict »

I did and I promise to review tomorrow when there is no show. Had dinner after the matinee with an old forum friend from New Jersy and had no chance before the evening show to wruite up.

In summary a great return by Alex. No indication to my seasoned eyes that it was 5 months since he performed. I am sure after being out for so long there were first night nerves all over again, but Alex did not show them.

Tomorrow night in more detail I promise.
cincinnati wrote:Did anyone see Alex today? .....
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks for the reviews from yesterday Musical Fanatic and BillyAddict.

It is good to know Alex made it back without incident. Hopefully, now, he can enter into the normal period of progression in the role that all new Billys go through, while doing the show on a regular basis without any more injuries.

Also good to know the "Aussie invasion" has been a resounding success thus far and that all of you who made the long trip to see and support Dayton and Michael are enjoying the Big Apple and the New York production of BETM. From the descriptions, both boys are performing the role as good, if not better, than ever.
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

Sunday 14th March - Matinee

Billy - Alex
Michael - Jake
Debbie - Izzy
Tall Boy - Kyland
Small Boy - Luke

It's been a long time between performances for Alex Ko. In fact the last time he performed was early October. Injury has kept him out since then.

Such a layoff could well have bought certain anxieties about whether he was ever going to be able to perform the role of Billy again. It was also so long ago that he last performed that in many ways this was a debut performance all over again.

Did any of this show?

No!

I have seen a lot of shows and Alex's performance looked polished and relaxed. Both his knees were heavily strapped and he didn't attempt any spectacular gymnastic moves and did not jump off the piano. This did not matter or detract in the slightest, as what he danced he performed with beautiful fluid style that totally carried the performance.

One NY fan who had seen Alex perform before his injury commented how his acting was now far stronger. I guess with all that injury time a lot of work and time has been spent working on this aspect of Alex's skill base.

In summation a wonderful effort by Alex under the circumstances listed above. I was one of the few who stood for his Electricity but knowing so much about the show and guessing at the effort he has put in to overcome his injury I was very moved by the way he danced Electricity. I donkt know Alex and have never met him but I felt so proud for him.

Ably supported by the whole cast it was another high class show which no one in the audience who was not in the know would have known it was 5 months since Alex last performed.

Again a tribute to the production team who have so obviously worked over that long break in ensuring Alex returned successfully. A fitting standing ovarion at the end.
167 Performances!

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Just caught up on the reviews. Thanks. Great to hear that Alex turned in such a great comeback performance. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

Tuesday 16th March

Billy - Alex
Michael - Trevor
Debbie - Izzy
Tall Boy - Kyland
Small Boy - Seth

Alex's second show since his long layoff with injury. Like his first show he is showing no signs of the layoff as far as nerves and acting are concerned. A very calm relaxed performance.

His dancing has been modified to avoid possible stress on his injury. The kees are heaviky padded and Alex does not jump off the piano and does limited acrobatic moves in his Electricity. None of this is obvious and certainly did not prevent Alex from giving what was a very good performance.

A flawless skipping rope scene tonight by Alex.

I know I have said it repeatedly, but Trevor Braun does a truly great interpritation of the role of Michael.

Tommy Ritter again received special applause for his dance antics and justky deserved.

A good responsive audience tonight that gave the whole cast a standing ovation at the end.

At the end of the performance it was announced the cast were collecting for Broadway Cares. 10% of the money raised on the night goes to "The Place 2 BE" founation in the mining village of Easington In County Durham, which works with children and families still facing the challenges from the loss of jobs in the struggle portrayed in BETM. For $100 donation you received a cardboard poster signed by all the cast. A couple at least are heading 'down under' !!!!
167 Performances!

phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

BillyAddict wrote: At the end of the performance it was announced the cast were collecting for Broadway Cares. 10% of the money raised on the night goes to "The Place 2 BE" founation in the mining village of Easington In County Durham, which works with children and families still facing the challenges from the loss of jobs in the struggle portrayed in BETM.

This hit home. What is it, 25 years later - a generation?! Tony's speech about destroying the union is equivalent to destroying the communities unfortunately is 100% accurate. Does anyone know an address or web addres people could donate to even if you're not at a show?
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

I agree with the above post....let's help
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

http://www.broadwaycares.org/Page.aspx?pid=297

I expect you can email or call them and ask how to designate a gift.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I would just like to thank all the people who have taken the time to write reviews this month. Whether they are only a few lines or half a page - it matters not. We have been blessed with some marvellous articles.

Thank you ............ and keep them coming.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews Archive”