Washington, D.C. Reviews

angelenroute
Billy

Re: Washington, D.C. Reviews

Post by angelenroute »

Yay!!! So glad you were able to finally see Kylend!!!!!! When we first learned he'd be leaving the Broadway cast to go on Tour as a future Billy, I was ecstatic. Kylend is such a sweet kid, and I really wanted to see what kinds of amazing he must be capable of to have been offered the opportunity to shine in that role. I told him at the Imperial Stage Door that I had a feeling he was going to be awesome as Billy, and he gave me a sheepish smile and brief thank you at the time. His sweetness has always been an endearing attribute that has served him well on stage no matter what role he's in. You'll often see his smiles escaping all over the place, much like my very first Billy actually, the awesome Corey Snide!

When I saw the Tour 3 times in Charlotte in January 2011, I wasn't able to see Kylend perform at all as Billy, so I felt the same kind of hope that it'd happen eventually. But I did manage to see him play Michael that trip, and he rocked!!! Like Ben Cook as Michael, Kylend did a perfect (quick!) split, which made his Nutcracker line even more perfect than usual.

And then it happened. In Philadelphia this past November, I saw Kylend's name on the board as Billy, and like you, I gave an audible "YES!" that probably made people take note haha. But I had another greedy goal. I have really enjoyed both Jacob and Ben as Michael, but I just really wanted to see two former Broadway Tall Boys together as Billy and Michael on stage. So I prayed and hoped for a Kylend/Ben pairing, and sure enough I got it! And like you, I know it will be a show I'll never forget!

Congratulations KiwiT! :D
Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
KiwiT
Small Boy

Post by KiwiT »

Thqnks for all the comments everyone.

Brad - yes it was shame that more antipodeans could not make the Broadway close but fantastic to see Josh Denyer there. Hopefully Aussies will continue to support the tour from time to time even though it is so far away!

BETourfan - I believe that the Wed Matinee and Thursday through to Sunday were officially sold out. I could only get a standing ticket for Sat night! Incredible considering the size of the theatre in Washington but great news for the tour.

Sean - thanks. A great post and I enjoyed hearing about your similar Kylend experience. He is certainly a rather special Billy. Yes it would have been nice to have a Kylend/Ben pairing but on the other hand there was barely a show this week when one or other of them was not performing so that was just great as well. I'm envious of you seeing Corey though as I missed him in both Sydney and London.

Just a few snippets for the last few shows as I am getting rather behind and have covered each team once this week already.

Fri 13th JP/Ben/Lex

The date should have been a warning sign as this was one of those shows where there were a few technical problems. The main one was that they had to stop the show in Angry Dance when the shed was being assembled. There was an announcement and patrons were asked to remain seated. After a short interval the stage was reset and Angry Dance recommended from the barricades at the rear of the stage and continued from there. Huge appreciation for JP when he started again as there was when an saw a similar thing happen in Houston with Lex. Great to see that they managed to restart Angry Dance though!

One brilliant moment when Ben was struggling to up on his tutu in the winter scene. He said "Oh Sh#t" to buy himself more time and laughs and then carried on as normal. Amazing bit of quick thinking and totally in character. Terrific work Ben.

Sat 14th Matinee Ty/Jacob/Kylend

Ty rocks!! If his matinee on Wed was very very good it was superb on Saturday, so much so that it is one of the best performances I have seen outside of leaving shows or special performances (and I have seen some real stunners)!

If I did not know better I would have that the cast had been reading my comments about Kylend's very emotional letter reprise :D :D as Ty produced one of similar quality in his final show in Washington.

Some quick thinking by Kylend to recover the Keys in the boxing scene when they fell off the cupboard and by an ensemble member to remix the side of the shed in Angry Dance. it always amazes me how brilliantly the cast react to unforeseen events, whether it is small boy Jeremy picking up stray balls from the tank or anyone else recovering misplaced props. It is all so smoothly done that I suspect most of the audience (and Dad & Tony :D :D ) wouldn't even notice!!

Sat 14th Eve Lex/Ben/JP

My sixth time seeing Lex and definitely the best show I have seen from him. His trademark ferocity in Angry Dance, a flawless Dream Ballet and a stunning Electricity all came together brilliantly. However this was topped off by - you guessed it - another very emotional letter reprise which is not something I have associated with him before. Great job Lex.

Sun 15th Matinee Zach/Jacob/Ty

I will post something more meaningful in due course but Zach made a very impressive debut for the final show in Washington. A really nice way to end my Washington visit. Thanks to all the cast and their parents for an amazing week with the tour. It will be while before I can return but I hope to catch up again one day.
61 Brilliant Billys, 44 Magnificent Michaels
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Thanks for posting all of these reviews Tim. It is great that someone from the forum was able to be present at Zach's debut today. Have a safe journey home, and come back to see us again. :D
--Chris
:/
rootbeer
Small Boy

Post by rootbeer »

KiwiT wrote: Sun 15th Matinee Zach/Jacob/Ty

I will post something more meaningful in due course but Zach made a very impressive debut for the final show in Washington. A really nice way to end my Washington visit. Thanks to all the cast and their parents for an amazing week with the tour. It will be while before I can return but I hope to catch up again one day.
Looking forward to it!
Broadway
06/27/09: David A./David B.
Tour
12/07/11: Lex/Jacob
12/11/11: JP/Jacob
ActingDude17
Tall Boy

Post by ActingDude17 »

Thanks for the extensive tour coverage, KiwiT. The production is quite special to me and it's nice to be able to keep up with it. I'm looking forward to your review of Zach's debut!
UK/Ireland Tour
Billy: Lewis Smallman
Michael: Elliot Stiff

2nd American Tour
Billy: Giuseppe Bausilio, Michael Dameski, Ty Forhan
Michael: Griffin Birney x2, Cameron Clifford
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Thanks so much KiwiT for all of your reviews! What a great cast the tour has. Looking forward to your review of Zach's show.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

Tim,

You don't post much but when you do, it's a delight to read. Thanks for your reviews and glad that you finally got to see Kylend. It was good seeing you in NYC for the Broadway finale and have a safe journey home.

regards,
Rich
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

KiwiT wrote:it always amazes me how brilliantly the cast react to unforeseen events, whether it is small boy Jeremy picking up stray balls from the tank or anyone else recovering misplaced props. It is all so smoothly done that I suspect most of the audience (and Dad & Tony :D :D ) wouldn't even notice!!
Brilliant reference KiwiT =)

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

angelenroute wrote:
KiwiT wrote:it always amazes me how brilliantly the cast react to unforeseen events, whether it is small boy Jeremy picking up stray balls from the tank or anyone else recovering misplaced props. It is all so smoothly done that I suspect most of the audience (and Dad & Tony :D :D ) wouldn't even notice!!
Brilliant reference KiwiT =)
Quite true! In last Sunday's matinee, quite a bit of milk spilled during the kitchen scene with the miners. The actor playing Big Davey proceeded to clean it up, while he and Grandma improvised dialogue. If you hadn't seen the show before you wouldn't have noticed anything unusual.
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

A brief review of Zach's debut, photo of the Kennedy Center "load-out," and on to Cincinnati ....
http://www.fcnp.com/arts/10912-billy-el ... incinnati/

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”