October 2009 Reviews - NYC

Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Re: OCTOBER REVIEWS - US

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks everybody for your wonderful reviews. They are the next best thing to being there.

Keep them coming :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Beautifully put, maria.
It was very nice meeting you, too.
sgv123
Ballet Girl

Post by sgv123 »

Glad to see that Tommy is back, and he gave an excellent performance this afternoon. I am on my way home right now, but i will post more later--- including Alex's sense of humor.
Oct. 2008-Dec.. 2010
Billy:Trent x5 Kiril x3* David x1*Tommy x2 Joseph x1
Michael: David x4 Frank x3 Keean x2 Trevor x2 Neil x1
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

sgv123 wrote:Glad to see that Tommy is back, and he gave an excellent performance this afternoon. I am on my way home right now, but i will post more later--- including Alex's sense of humor.
Excellent tidbit to whet our collective appetite, looking forward to more, "Grandma" =)

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
sgv123
Ballet Girl

Post by sgv123 »

Well, I don't have time for a review right now, but......

For those of you not familiar with the Imperial lobby---there is a stair case and the merchandise stand is right against it with a space in between the 2. Well, Alex and Trent came down with one of their chaperones to get drinks from the bar. Alex and Trent stood on the stairs and Alex began "taunting" the merchandise guy asking him for his autograph asking to make it out to Alex. The merchandise guy got a kick out of it as did I. They got their drinks (water) and Alex ever so sneakily started to tilt his full cup over the ledge right above the merchandise guy's ( I really wish I new his name!) head but his chaperone caught him just before any water came out :)

Oh Alex!
Oct. 2008-Dec.. 2010
Billy:Trent x5 Kiril x3* David x1*Tommy x2 Joseph x1
Michael: David x4 Frank x3 Keean x2 Trevor x2 Neil x1
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Sounds like Alex is feeling pretty comfortable already!
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
- Chinese proverb
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

maria wrote: Perhaps it was because I also had the privilege of being there for Kiril's very first performance on Broadway just one short year ago
Although I wasn't conscious of it at the time, you're very right: Every interview we saw of Kiril from the moment he was first announced as one of the Broadway Billys, seeing him perform at First Preview (and twice more), and all of the various press photos and videos throughout his run all culminated in that final show as Billy. We watched Kiril go from might-be star to proven star and like foster parents and foster big brothers and big sisters, we were all blessed to have had this young man in our midst for the past year +. He was a natural and I'm continually thanking the theatre gods for the generosity that brought me unexpectedly into The Imperial that night.

billybuddies4eva
Tall Boy

Post by billybuddies4eva »

I'm back from New York :mrgreen: Now i'm not going to write a proper review at this presice moment but I will get round to one.

Sat 24th Eve

Billy- David/Trent
Micheal - Keean

For the first half, David was Billy and he was doing a great job. However, it was announced at the begining of the second half that Trent would take over since David wasn't feeling his best.
I LOVED Express, the added glitzy touches made the scene even more outrageously hilarious and Keean was an excellent Micheal.
I actually thought the angry dance wasn't that bad. Ok, it's not as angry or dynamic as London, but I liked it since it was sodifferent and unusual.
The finale or " company celebration " :lol: , was great, I loved the big lit up Billy at the end and wouldn't mind it that came to london * hint hint *
The way they managed to make it look like billy was looking out into the auditorium during the audition scene was very clever.
I don't think he could be a star was as good on Broadway as it is in London. It's just not as powerful and poignant, but I did like the money collecting bit with all the * and this and this * bits :)

Now I don't know if it's just me, or can the americans just not get the geordie accent. Have they been told to tone it down so much that it doesn't resemble a geordie accent at all ? Keean did a great accent as did the man who played Tony ( I will check his name :roll: ), but Kate Hennig was not convincing enough as Mrs Wilkinson because of this and therefore, I didn't warm to her as much. Also, Trent had quite a strong american accent at times, and I was wondering if his accent has alway been like this or if he had a perfect geordie accent in London ?

Despite this, I still absolutely loved the show and wouldn't have missed seeing it Broadway for the world. There were some really nices little touches such as the shadow dance which should come to London :)

Corey x3 Layton x3 Josh x2 Tanner x3 Brad x2 Hogan x1 Sam x1 Liam x1 Travis x1 Ollie x2 Fox 1 Trent x0.5 Davidx0.5

Shaun x4 Jonty x3 George x3 Ryan x2 Dean x2 Daniel x2 George x3 Brad x1 Jake x2 Keane x1 Connor x1
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

billybuddies4eva wrote:...I still absolutely loved the show and wouldn't have missed seeing it Broadway for the world...
Woo hoo! Though you made some excellent points about the differences and how they could still be improved upon, you still "absolutely loved" the show and as an American who's only seen the London production once, I am very happy to hear you enjoyed the Broadway version so much! Yay! :D

Sean

Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Hi bb4e.

Glad you enjoyed the show or was it shows?

I agree with a lot of what you have said. I too like the bit at the end of "He Could Be a Star" when they collect the money.

I do believe the accents have been toned down as it was felt the American audiences would not understand full blown Geordie. To be fair I think they are probably right.

Tony is played by Will Chase.

I thought Keean's accent was very good as well. I suppose it helps having an English father.

Looking forward to your full review.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews Archive”