Dad

Re: NOVEMBER REVIEWS - US

Post by Todd »

Friday, November 13

Billy - Trent Kowalik
Michael - Trevor Braun
Mr. Braithwaite - David Hibbard
all others were the regular cast

Wow, can't believe I'm the first review of the month ! What better way to begin it than with the show's 1-year anniversary show . . . .

As has already been posted in other threads, no mention was made about this being the 1-year mark since the official opening night. If you hadn't been outside the stage door afterwards when some of the kids in the cast eventually made their way out of the theater wearing party hats, you'd have never known this show was different than any other. More on that later.

The good news was that it was another excellent show, with a stellar performance by Trent as Billy. He's got to be Mr. Consistent, as I've now seen him do 4 full shows and parts of two others (my most-seen Billy) and he's been superb in each. I'm sure he must have an off-night sometime, but I've yet to see it.

One of the things that really makes you appreciate his professionalism is when something happens like when the set problem occurred during the Swan Lake scene and they had to stop the show for awhile. We were wondering if they were going to start the scene over or pick up where they left off. After the problem was fixed, Trent and the Older Billy came back out on stage and took their position as they had apparently decided to pick it up mid-number. After a few moments of silence, the music began and off they went, not missing a beat. Pretty amazing how a 14-year-old kid can start right off mid-way through a scene as difficult as that one and make it look easy. It was almost like you were watching a rehearsal where the director would say, "Let's pick it up at the 4th measure on the bottom of page 3. Take your position. Ready . . . one, two three, begin !"

Trent's "Electricity" was probably the best I've ever seen him do, and the first time I've been at a show where that number got a standing ovation as loud and as long as this one did. Trevor Braun as Michael, and all the original adult cast turned in their usual excellent performance. I did find myself missing Thommie Retter as Mr. Braithwaite, as I've really grown to enjoy his interpretation of the part - complete with the realistic-looking, shaggy wig. Special recognition should also go to Will Chase, who's taken the role of Tony at this point and made it his own. It was interesting seeing a different actress play Mrs. Wilkinson. Kate Henning did a fine job and was especially cordial and friendly towards the fans at the stage door afterwards. But I'm afraid I'll always think of Haydn Gwynne in that role, just as I'll probably always think of Trevor Fox as George.

Finally, back to a few closing comments on the lack of recognition for this being the 1 year anniversary of the show. About the only thing I could think of was that they didn't want to start another tradition where they feel like they have to top themselves each year and come up with something special, as they do in the London anniversary shows. So maybe they figured it would be easier not to start something like that, and just keep it private backstage. Most audience members didn't know the difference anyway, but it was kind of a letdown for those of us who were expecting some kind of mention to be made about it. It was especially surprising when we found out that Stephen Daldry was at the theater, and didn't come out beforehand and make any comments. You'd think with all the Tony awards the show won, that they would want to recognize the cast and crew in some way. With Trent Kowalik and David Alvarez still in the show - and Kiril Kulish still in New York - I would have at least brought the 3 of them out on stage to take a bow, and maybe even do a short dance number together like they did on Opening Night, to acknowledge the impact they've had on Broadway and their Tony award-winning performance.

Many of us dedicated Forum members waited outside in the rain until past midnight, hoping to greet the cast when they came out. Occasionally a few of the cast would trickle out the stage or side door and a few posed for some pictures and chatted for a few minutes. But with the party going as late as it did and the weather being what it was, the kids and their parents understandably were ready to head home. As I mentioned in another thread, it was great getting to meet many of you who were there. The dinner and party beforehand at the nearby Playright Pub was very well done and very enjoyable. Thanks to all who helped organize and plan it !
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Here is a nice blog review of a recent show with David as Billy.

http://droberts.wordpress.com/2009/11/2 ... -broadway/

PS I think this person got an exaggerated perspective of how large the dancing dresses are. 8-) Must have been sitting very close to the stage.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for a great review Todd.

I echo your sentiments.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews Archive”