Currently I am reading....

*Lottie*
Tony

Re: Currently I am reading....

Post by *Lottie* »

Prince Caspian :)
Charlotte

The Musical Vs The Film - " there's more depth & passion to it" - Scott Mckenzie 9.3.11
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Hi
Sorry everyone to really lower the standards, I've been reading "More true stories of how dumb humans have met their maker"

Barry
Meagan312
Ballet Girl

Post by Meagan312 »

Basically anything by Oscar Wilde! :D
Aus
22.03.09 - Michael.Joel.Isabelle
14.06.09- Josh D.Landen.Nina
UK
2.10.09 - Brad.Connor D.Francesca

It's like that there's a music playing in your ear, and I'm listening and I'm listening, and then I dissapear
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I am almost finished with "The Help," by Kathryn Stockett. This a simply wonderful book that I have read will be coming out as a movie soon. It's about the experiences of "colored" maids in the 1960's in Jackson, Mississippi, and their relationships with the white families they work for--especially about the "ladies of the house" that they must deal with on a day to day basis. The story is set against the backdrop of the beginnings of the Civil Rights movement in the American South. Having grown up in the South, although not in Mississippi, during the time period covered in this book, I know that even though this book is a work of fiction, it is absolutley accurate in its depiction of the characters and situations.

Before starting this book, I read "Water for Elephants," by Sara Gruen, another book that I highly recommend. As with "The Help," I am looking forward to the movie, which in this case is coming out very shortly. This book is about a young man who, having lost everything (his family, his home, and his chances for a diploma in veterinary medicine) during the Great Depression, hops a train, which turns out to be a circus train, and spends a season with the Benzini Bros. Circus, where he does a lot of growing up in a hurry, as he falls in love with his boss's wife and also with Rosie, the elephant. This is a great read, especially if, like me, you happen to know someone who has traveled with a circus. I am looking forward to the movie.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
gpcolo
George

Post by gpcolo »

Your "Water for Elephants" review was the perfect motivator for me to start reading as the title has been staring back at me from a spot on my bookshelf for more than a month. Thanks for recommending.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I'm on book 7 of the "Left Behind" book series. These are the religious books about The Rapture, which detail what happens when all of the really devout Christians are taken body and soul up to Heaven, leaving only their clothes and material belongings behind. Sounds weird, I KNOW, and I'm NOT a believer in such things.......BUT it does make for really, REALLY great reading! Imagine, people just disappear all around you, not everyone, but a lot, and all of the children and babies disappear too. Those who are "left behind" have to figure out what just happened and why. Add to that the fact that the rapture happens at the beginning of the last years of the Earth, when basically all Hell breaks loose (literally), the Antichrist shows up, eventually Satan and even Jesus Himself, and you've got yourself a lot of fun reading!

I ALSO RECOMMEND Anne Rice's newest books. Her new series Christ The Lord is a trilogy (2 of the 3 out already) of books written as if autobiography style by Jesus. Really gripping reads, so start with the first one and watch as Jesus realizes who he is. =) Her other new series is called Angel Time, and it's about a hit man who Heaven decides to forgive so he can work for their team instead. It moves the character from modern day bad guy to time traveling angel. Very cool stuff! She has 2 of these books out so far and it seems to be a whole new series she'll keep writing.

I don't ONLY read religious themed literature, but I'm a former religious brother in the Catholic Church (recovering Catholic now) and been on a kick lately. Hope at least some of you, whether you're religious/spiritual or not, will take me up on the recommendations! :D

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

A novel: "The Jefferson Key" by Steve Berry (part of the Cotton Malone series).
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

I have just finished the help for my reading group. I am now reading the room
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Just finished The Watery Part of the World, by Michael Parker. It is set on the fictional Yaupon Island, on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and tells the story of the island's last four inhabitants.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Born to Boogie
Tall Boy

Post by Born to Boogie »

Treated myself recently to an early hardback edition of Cronin's novel 'The Stars Look Down' and just started it today.

Return to “Non-BETM Archive”