December 2009 Reviews - London

Bungie
Small Boy

Re: December 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by Bungie »

Tuesday 15th.Dec.2009 Billy - Tom Michael - Connor Debbie - Francesca An excellent show before quite a large audience for a Tuesday night in Winter. Tom was at his imperious best and you could tell he really appreciated the fully deserved ovations he received. Connor - what a find, put in a terrific performance. He is very funny and his added mannerisms had the audience in stitches. Francesca is a superb Debbie. A fine actress who stamps her authority on her part. The partnerships Billy/Michael and Billy/Debbie were spot on. I liked Caroline as Mrs.W and Samantha as the dead Mother. Steve (Atkinson ?) did not put a foot wrong as a very convincing Tony, and Joe as Mr.E just goes from strength to strength. David and his boxing scene dished out plenty of humour, and both Mr.B and grandma made big impessions. Well done the Ballet Girls, and in fact the whole cast. There was frequent applause during the show, and at least 3 standing ovations. That says it all. So glad I saw such great show, as it may be some time before I can make another visit.
Chris
Tall Boy

Post by Chris »

Stevie Hutchinson is the second cover for Tony. He's come from Hairspray according to his biog.
"In everything you do, always be yourself"
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Had the opportunity to go Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evening to the London show.
Dean Charles Chapman / Connor - Monday
Tom Holland / Jake Pratt - Tuesday
Fox Jackson Keen / George Maycock - Wednesday

Audience sizes pretty good on all evenings - would say 75% full on all three levels
Wednesdays audience took a lot to get going - didnt feel they let themselves go until 'Electricity' - thereafter they were fine - that said it was a miserable , dreary, wet Wednesday evening.

Comparing the Billy's so close together is very interesting. They are clearly all different - Fox / Tom have many, many performances under their belt but Dean will be one to watch. He has real confidence on the stage and his performance is effortless to say he has only been in the role for two weeks.

I thought I had a favourite Billy but after this week I am not sure. I admire each one for the individuality they bring to the role. Fox for his street and acro finesse, Tom for his acro and Ballet and Dean - well I think he will become a good all rounder.

Missed Craig (Tony) this week. His part has been taken by one of the understudies and on two occasions by one of the ensemble. It is good to see different interpretations - great performances

Saw the alternate Dad on Monday - he was good and believeable but Joe Caffrey puts so much emotion into the part which is wicked!

Hope to get there again next week when I am next working in the Capital. Lets hope I can get a seat! :D
H
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

burtond wrote:and Dean - well I think he will become a good all rounder.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the show! :)

"become" :shock:

He already IS, not just "good", but BRILLIANT! :D

However, he will become EVEN BETTER, I'm sure! ;) :)
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Muppet. - Point taken.
Dean is already a fabulous allrounder.
Didn't mean to offend!!!! :P
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

burtond wrote:Muppet. - Point taken.
Dean is already a fabulous allrounder.
Didn't mean to offend!!!! :P
LOL. Thanks! Muppet is happy now! 8-)

Sorry if I sounded like I was being pinickity, but it's not very often I am so passionate and enthusiastic in thinking someone deserves such high praise!
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Den wrote:Thursday Evening 17 December
Ok Pat,your turn now.Den
Having spent 6 long hours at a snowbound Gatwick today no full review tonight but I can say that Dean Charles and Connor were SEN-SAY-SHUNNELL on a first viewing. Connor's eyes are unbelievable and I think it would be fair to say that at the end of Expressing all Forum Members present nearly had to receive emergency resuscitation after nearly collapsing with the laughing. This has to be seen to be believed. And wait until you see his Winter Scene and the final curtain. As Mr. Geoffrey Boycott, would say, "Goodness, Gracious Me".

It is quite some time since I had seen a Ballet Electricity and Dean put on a dance to remember. It was just so emotional and even more so when you think that, as a Small Boy, this was his dream and here he is doing it a few years later. The music for this Ballet Electricity was mostly familar and powerful but there were some delicious changes to my ears and an added bonus was that, as the dance headed towards its climax, there was a truly magnificent and powerful piece of piano work in it that I have never heard before that I can recall. I would almost describe it as a cadenza and, if I hadn't been mesmerised watching Dean's unbelievable stuff, would have been out of my seat long before the Forum Members rose as one to hail Dean at his final pose.

Although there were many other memorable performances on the night I cannot fail to mention Francesca who was absolutely brilliant as Debbie.

Interesting thing about the shadow dance. On Wed. and in Thursday matinee shows the second small spotlight (the one to the right) that produces one of the shadows was pointing in the wrong direction so we got only one Billy shadow on the back wall and a belated half shadow at the top of the kitchen windows behind Grandma as she rises from the depths. In the Thursday evening show the light had been repositioned and we got two Billy shadows on the back wall.

Pat
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Muppet said:

it's not very often I am so passionate and enthusiastic in thinking someone deserves such high praise!

........ unless Mr B perhaps! :) ;)
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Westletonion wrote:Muppet said:

it's not very often I am so passionate and enthusiastic in thinking someone deserves such high praise!

........ unless Mr B perhaps! :) ;)
Ahh yes....Mr B!!

Lol :D :D :D
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

:D :D :D Last night (Monday 21st Dec) saw an absolutely fabulous show - probably the best we've seen. Pure magic. The whole cast just seemed to be having an absolute ball with their performances, and the audience loved it (just about a full house by the way). Fox was at his very best and after his perfomance of 'Electricity' it took some time to re-start the show allowing for the applause and shouts of 'Bravo' (from one German Father sat behind me) and Whoo's, shouts of more etc - Fox's face was an absolute pleasure to watch - he loves this and almost thanks the audience whilst it goes on. George Maycock (as Michael) was brill too. He was particularly funny and really played to the audience. George and Fox were having a real laugh together as they performed the dressing room scene and 'Expressing yourself' Oh and George, 'go for it' with the lipstick - you will give props a headache if you continue to plaster a whole stick on Billy each time :lol: Fabulous surprise to see Jake Pratt (a current Michael) momentarily in the role of 'small boy' in the boxing scene (this was due to the problems with the heavy snowfall outside - small boy didnt arrive until the interval! :P ) Great improvisation by Fox at the beginning during the lolipop chase - there was no small boy and Fox had to cover - a true professional. Stand in Dad and Tony last night with great perfomances and wonderful interaction between them and the other characters - It just felt like all the cast were totally relaxed during their performances and were having a laugh themselves - But it really worked. Love the Dead Mum - she is perfect in this role and provides a sensitive performance during these very touching and emotional moments. Mr Braithwaite - totally ridiculous but hilarious in 'Born to Boogie' Mrs Wilkinson (Joanna) you are simply the best and last night there were some outstanding little moments of pure delight between you and Billy. Grandma - pure genius -' There's no one quite like Grandma...' but naughty with it - @Ooh you are aweful... but I like you!!!!!!'. Ensemble, really 'gutsy' - We all appreciate how hard you all work with your many costume/character changes. It really is appreciated.
Overall 150 / 100 Can'twait until tonights show when we will see it all over again. :D :D

Return to “Reviews Archive”