January 2010 Reviews - NYC

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: January 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by ERinVA »

My guess is that he is quite sincere in his emotion.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

Stephen's NOT acting. His emotion on last nights is real, and phoebe, I think your remark that he might be acting was uncalled for. But if you really believe that, then you should have the right to say it without fear of having your post deleted.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Despite his high profile in the world of theatre and film, Stephen Daldry has always come across to me as a very down to earth and genuine person who is happy to talk to fans at the stage door just like "ordinary folks." I truly believe he is very emotionally invested in this show and the kids involved in it. He has not just left the casting up to others; he participates in the process from start to finish. So I can't imagine that he would not feel very attached to his Billys, and especially to those who have literally brought the show to life for the first time in each venue.

But now that we have digressed, it's time to get back to some more excellent reviews. :D Bring them on!
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
athing
Small Boy

Post by athing »

I truly believe he is very emotionally invested in this show and the kids involved in it
I'm convinced, seeing Stephen Daldry Sunday afternoon, that the emotions are real. Just look how invested we fans are in the show and in the young stars and how emotional we get when I young man like David leaves the show, and we only know him, for the most part, from interviews, the stage door and seeing him perform on stage.

I can only begin to imagine the emotions of the cast and crew to whom these wonderful young people are like family from being around them day in and day out for long periods of time. Not to demean the fans love of all things BETM but the cast and crew, and director, really do live the experience and someone leaving is like a family member graduating or moving away.
athing (aka Mark)
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Really, as I wrote in my original statement, I can't imagine that Stephen Daldry is not emotionally attached to these kids. I don't doubt that at all, so no one needs to make that point. Again, I can't imagine how anyone who works as closely with them for as long as he does could not be moved to the core, utterly impressed with their dedication and level of accomplishment.

So, does anyone have any more January shows to review?
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I'm seeing the show today (Wednesday, January 6th). Bringing a friend who hasn't seen the show yet but who's been depressed lately and could use a good emotional burst/"shock to the system". =) I'll write a review later today if I can, otherwise ASAP this week.

Sean (angelenroute)

p.s. Today's my 10th time! Yay! 1 time London, 9 times Broadway!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Looking forward to your review, Sean. And definitely interested to hear how your friend likes the show. :D
Ellen

Marky
Small Boy

Post by Marky »

Well what a wonderful 40th Birthday I had ! Having arrived in New York from London at around 3.30pm, we had around four hours to recover, find our feet (not to mention our hotel) and prepare for our very first Broadway Billy. Over the next four days we crammed in four shows as follows

Friday 1st Jan (my Birthday!) - Liam (Billy) – Trevor (Michael)
Saturday 2nd Jan Matinee - Trent (Billy) – Keean (Michael)
Saturday 2nd Jan Evening - Dayton (Billy) – Trevor (Michael)
Sunday, 3rd Jan Matinee - David’s last show (Billy) – Keean (Michael)

Rather than give four detailed reviews I’ll try to summarise the four together, with maybe an emphasis on David’s last show on Sunday. It’s a bit like information overload for me at the moment, with not only three new Billy’s and two Michaels (having seen Trent already in London) and the rest of the cast, but there’s the whole Broadway show with all it’s differences to the UK show (subtle and not so subtle)…I’ve surely forgotten so much, so apologies in advance if I summerise.

First of all let’s get the one negative out of the way…ridiculously cramped seating – even at $340 a ticket. I’ll say no more!

KATE HENIG

Unusually, I want to start with a mention of Kate Hennig’s Mrs. Wilkinson which is totally inspired, slightly over the top, ever so slightly grotesque (and I mean that in the nicest possible way) bizarre and thoroughly enjoyable to watch. Kate was definitely one of THE highlights of all four shows. She’s physically short-ish, brassy, very vocal, and really belts out ‘Shine’ like I’ve never heard it performed before. Her Newcastle accent was...well what can I say, perfection! Whoever chose Kate Hennig for this role was spot on. I’m really going to miss her when I’m back at the Victoria Palace. Of course we do have the fabulous Joanna Riding back home in London…so I can’t complain!

On the subject of ‘Shine’…I LOVE the impromptu wind machine (desk fan) and trolley on which Mrs. W finishes the song. Why can’t we have these small touches in London? It’s hilarious!

LIAM REDHEAD

Liam Redhead I think, will easily fit into David A’s shoes. His ballet is first class and has grace and poise in every move. It struck me that it must actually be quite difficult at the beginning of the show to act like they can’t dance when the dance talents of these boys is so natural. Liam’s singing voice is very sweet and totally unbroken, perhaps wavering sometime with key but beautiful all the same. Swan Lake was perfection.

By the end of Liam’s Friday show my body clock was telling me it was 4.00am! so I was desperate for my hotel bed, but I did get the pleasure of speaking with Liam the next day after Trent’s show. He’s a very smiley, happy, polite and unassuming boy who seemed naturally pleased and surprised that anyone would want to take time to have him sign their programme. He’s obviously enjoying every show, and every moment of being Billy, which is wonderful to see.

TREVOR BRAUN
Trevor Braun has an enormous character. I love his “I’m pi*sing off” line which he speaks very slowly, emphasizing every syllable. The lights around Michaels dressing table mirror that switch on after the piano flourish at the start of ‘Expressing’ (again, absent from the London production) is a great touch.

TRENT KOWALIK

Trent !, How he’s grown since his London days. I used to think that Trent sometimes looked so fragile that he would break, now he powers through his dance routines, with the same confidence that he’s always had.

DAYTON TAVARES

Now, speaking of confidence…Dayton! Another first for me, and a pleasure all round. This kid moves like lightening, and his enjoyment of the show is obvious. The angry dance that I saw him dance on 2nd of January was possibly…no, definitely, the best I have ever seen from any Billy. If he had stamped and danced with any more force, he would have disappeared through the stage and into the orchestra pit. He went wrong a couple of times with the skipping ropes in ‘Boogie’ but it didn’t matter one jot. He carried on and his confidence carried him through. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

ANGRY DANCE

Speaking of the Angry Dance, I’ve read a great deal here in the past about the differences between the London and NY Angry Dance – many people hoping that the London show will never adopt the NY version. Personally I was spellbound and was left feeling moved like I have never felt at the VP. Basically, it’s the London version, expanded. I have always felt in London that the ‘hut’ was a bit of a wasted opportunity - it goes up, Billy kicks inside it a few times…it goes down. In NY there’s a whole routine, which ends with the clever exit through the temporary door. The use of the sections of Billboard is inspired and when they fall to reveal the riot shields it is truly spine tingling. I have my fingers crossed that maybe one day I’ll be able to see this in London too. Obviously the Imperial is a larger theatre than the Victoria Palace and as such would probably not be able to accommodate the extra scenery that, for example, ‘Expressing’ has but I’m sure that this angry dance would be possible? I’m hoping.

DAVID ALVARES’ LAST SHOW

It was a pure coincidence that when, six months ago the tickets were booked that our last night fell upon David’s last show. What luck!

Steven Daldry came on and spoke briefly and eloquently of David, his life, training and parents. We all hear things differently but I certainly heard no choking in his voice, false or otherwise. He did at one point say that ‘saying goodbye to David therefore is a very emotional experience’, to which someone in the audience let out an audible ‘ahhhh’ Steven then laughed and said ‘I know!...wait until you see the show! Which got a big laugh and applause. He stood for most of the show at the back of the stalls.

What struck me was that David’s voice is not breaking but has actually broken making him the deepest voiced Billy I have ever heard. True, he was struggling at times with his vocals but came through with style.

The letter was performed as I have never heard it before firstly in a very low key (to accommodate David’s voice) then, after David paused earlier than normal after the line ‘Please Billy, know that I was…’ (missing – ‘always there, I was with you through everything’) it then changed key to accommodate Mr’s W’s register.

Express was fabulous. Keean is a perfect Michael, and hearing him telling Billy, ‘come on, last time’ just reminded you what a special performance we were getting

The oddest thing was pairing, possible the tallest, most mature Billy ever, with the smallest Debbie which made the bathroom scene look a little weird.

David’s Electricity (along with Dayton’s Angry Dance) was possibly the greatest performance ever. He belted it out like I have never heard it performed before. It was an Electricity that said ‘this is me, this is everything I have to give’ and boy, he gave everything. The crowning glory was the’yeaaaahh’ he shouted at the finish. There couldn’t have been a greater performance on the whole of Broadway that week. The standing ovation was truly deserved

Real tears from David through the Letter reprise. Dead mum hugged David before exiting (normally she stops herself before turning to walk away forever)

The next few minutes were just a blur, quite literally as there wasn’t a dry eye in the house during the ‘see ya Keean, yea see ya David’ exit

Have sent a few pretty average pics to the gallery.

I think I’ll be returning in the summer! (when it isn’t a windy minus 5 degrees Celsius outside)
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Thoroughly enjoyed reading the summary of your 4 Broadway shows. Glad you had a good trip to the U.S. ! You mentioned several differences between the New York and London shows that I don't remember seeing mentioned before: the lights flicking on around Michael's mirror towards the beginning of "Express Yourself," and the billboards that have the film image projected onto them during "Angry Dance." I agree - those are two things that would benefit being added to the London show.

I also definitely agree with you about the powerful ending to "Electricity" with David shouting "yeah ! !" as he reached his finish position. That was apparently a trademark of his, as I remember him doing it the first time I saw him back in November, 2008. It was one of the best and most unique "Electricity" performances I had ever seen as he really belt it out vocally that night too. It was spine tingling and the audience lept to their feet at the end of it, as it really did create a magic moment that many in the audience obviously felt.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Thanks for the great and very well written reviews Marky. And Happy Birthday! What a great way to celebrate the occasion. How fortunate you were to be able to see four different Billys during your visit.
:/

Return to “Reviews Archive”