Billy – Fox
Michael – Jake
Mrs. W - Caroline
Tony - Tim
Dad - Joe
Debbie – Fleur
Grandma - Ann

Just a few minor (pardon the pun) points to add:

A rather unusual audience in last night (mainly in the Grand Circle) who at times seemed to having a show all of their own going on up there, and took a while to settle down.

Michaels kiss was greeted with immature whoops and whistles (mainly from those Grand Circle-ers) which sometimes happens, I know. It can be quite funny when it does and certainly tests the young actors on stage. The look on Jake's face was a picture as he stood, tight lipped and on the point of exploding into laughter whilst looking at Fox. Baring in mind what a comical face Jake has (I mean that in the nicest possible way Jake!) this must have been really tough for Fox. This tension is obviously released when Billy offers Michael the tutu to try on. As Jake fooled around, Fox kept staring through the window laughing, only composing himself in time to carry on the lines. A nice moment between the two boys there.

The "I'll show you me f**ny" line was milked (for want of a better phrase) perfectly by Fox. The initial reaction was just a titter. Fox, sensing the audience 'under' reaction went to finish the scene with "nah, ya alrite" but upon opening his mouth a few of the audience began to laugh and so he stopped himself, just on the point of speaking. I know this is sometimes how this scene is meant to be played but last night it was totally natural and so became one of the funniest moments, proving Fox's ability to think on his feet (as well as dance!) Incidentally, I've never been so pleased to hear the word f**ny before! (after four superb NY shows last week where the word is substituted with 'Hoo hoo'). I know the reasons why its substituted, but it always made me cringe.

Finally, a small mention about Tim Funnell's Tony, which I love. His take on the roll is much softer and more vunerable than is normally played. The crowbar scene is especially effective where you sense that Tony is really quite frightened of Dad and is mustering up all the courage he can to confront him. Tim was my very first Tony all those years ago, and I'm always glad to see him in this part - he's a really nice guy too!

Another tonight! Mark
burtond
Michael

Re: January 2010 Reviews - London

Post by burtond »

Wednesday 13th January 2010 UK, London

Billy – Dean; Michael – Connor; Debbie – Francesca

Tonight, the music was absolutely fabulous. It was like listening to a different show at times. The various instruments of the Orchestra were in top form and each one was expertly expressed through the complex sound system. Of particular note was the performance of the two pianists and in particular the Conductor. I heard piano parts I have never heard in the show before and I noticed that the Conductor (name not known) was really giving the piano some ‘welly’. I appreciate that the piano is actually a digital keyboard and on this basis, there were also a number of other interesting sounds used to enhance the scenes expertly delivered by the MD including electronic piano and celeste sequences. I spoke to the Conductor afterwards and he pointed out that the Conductors piano was renewed on Monday for a more responsive version – it certainly did make a huge difference to the overall sound quality.

Older Billy this evening was played by Sergio Giacomelli even though Barnaby Meredith was in attendance as he usually is in the audition scene. Sergio was a very interesting watch – never seen him perform in this role before although he appears every performance as part of the ensemble. His routine matched exactly that of Barnaby’s (I suppose it would have to so as not to confuse the Billy’s) but was more rugged in my view – not out of place at all.

Humerous little sequence during ‘Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher..’ with Phil Snowden and one of the lady ensemble – a new prop was introduced – Phil’s bare tummy which was played like a drum for a second or two – very comical.

Dean, Michael and Debbie all excelled in their performances as we have come to expect but I have to praise Connor for his very ‘camp’ interpretation of Michael which is the funniest I have seen for such a small guy.

A couple of observations:

a) In the audition scene, both Billy and Posh Boy were wearing the same school tie – how could this be???
b) The lighting for the finale was all over the place. We have come to expect full lights within a minute or so of the finale start (just as Billy and the cast get to the front of the stage) they never happened, not for any part of the finale – it was like a major fuse had blown leaving very few front of house lights and a follow spotlight or two – very strange indeed.

Otherwise, another delightfully entertaining show – a pleasure to watch.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Marky
Small Boy

Post by Marky »

Wednesday 13th January 2010

Billy – Dean CC
Michael – Connor
Mrs. W - Joanna
Tony - Tim
Dad - Joe
Debbie – Francesca
Grandma - Ann

A much more sedate, but equally responsive audience last night. There's obviously a bit of a cold going around the cast at the moment - Tuesday it was David Nellist with the sneezes, tonight it was poor Joanna. Anyone who hadn't have seen the show before would have been none the wiser though as all cast gave 110%, as they always do.

Dean Charles Chapman could easily be described as the perfect Billy. He is a Billy with bags of attitude, anger, sarcasm, feeling, and a bit to spare all around. Every line is delivered with that little extra something which makes for a great performance. He has a wonderful way of putting a little laugh into some lines, like "f**ked if I know" and "what, to this crap?" which really brings the character to life. During 'Deep in the ground' Dean also sings "But I'll love these dark dark hills forever" in the higher register, which I always think is quite special.

There's a little detail that was taken out of the show about 12 months ago, which almost made a return last night. After Dad says "He's as bent as a nine bob note Son!" Billy would quickly turn his head around Dad to look at Mrs. W and say "Is he?". I always found this very comical, and last night Dean did at least, do the head turn. I hope the line makes it way back one day.

Where does one begin with Connor Kelly? The Victoria Palace has certainly been blessed with some first rate boys to play the part of Michael, and Connor is no exception. Every line, every move, every expression leaves a mark in the mind. A totally focused actor with so much personality. When putting on the tutu in the winter scene, he let out a comical 'ho ho ho ho' like he was so exited about the tutu, he couldn't control himself! - it's the little touches like this which come from the actors themselves that really make this show what it is. The final look from Connor as the curtain goes down on Michael as he realises that he has lost his best friend forever...is heart breaking, and will stay with you for days after the show.

The rest of the cast are in top form. Joe Caffrey can do no wrong in my eyes - Ann Emery IS and will always be Grandma - Sean Kingsley is tops as Mr. B - Other than missing his "Now, sod off!" line when playing the policeman, Tim Funnell is a great Tony - Joanna Riding is as good a Mr's W as there could ever be.

No more shows for me this week, but in a few weeks I'll be taking my Sister and Nephew for their first Billy experience.

And was great meeting you last night Burtond - keep up the great reviews!

Mark
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Marky wrote: Dean Charles Chapman could easily be described as the perfect Billy. He is a Billy with bags of attitude, anger, sarcasm, feeling, and a bit to spare all around. Every line is delivered with that little extra something which makes for a great performance. He has a wonderful way of putting a little laugh into some lines, like "f**ked if I know" and "what, to this crap?" which really brings the character to life. During 'Deep in the ground' Dean also sings "But I'll love these dark dark hills forever" in the higher register, which I always think is quite special.

There's a little detail that was taken out of the show about 12 months ago, which almost made a return last night. After Dad says "He's as bent as a nine bob note Son!" Billy would quickly turn his head around Dad to look at Mrs. W and say "Is he?". I always found this very comical, and last night Dean did at least, do the head turn. I hope the line makes it way back one day.

Mark
Good reviews guys, thanks, keep them coming! ;)

Agree with your Dean remarks. 8-)

I always find it a shame when they take out lines which are funny. It doesn't make sense to me. Bring it back please Mr Director! :)
jon01
Miner

Post by jon01 »

14th Jan 2.30pm

Great show with Ollie and Connor

What a pair! They had so much fun on stage, Connor is a real star

Enjoyed the changes to the show, as I haven't seen it for a while

Theatre not quite full, but a lively group of schoolgirls ensured there was plenty of audience reaction and noise

Jon
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 14th January

Ollie, Connor K, Francesca
Tony: Tim
Mr. B: Phil

All the depressing weather was wiped from memory at the matinee thanks to a magnificent Billy show.

Ollie must have looked out at the big house of sad and snow-weary people and said "I'll cheer this lot up, just watch me". And he did, stunningly. What a tonic.

Things got off to a fine start in the Boxing scene with some very funny Ollie moves that were a mixture of sideways moondancing, ice skating and cultured shapes-throwing that had poor George very quickly demented. To say that Connor then hit him would be to exaggerate. It was more a question of Ollie rushing at Connor who held out a very straight-armed gloved fist that Ollie ran into. A kind of boxing own goal. One way or another it did the job it was supposed to do. You could feel the audience lift after that and such was the pace of the show that we were up to Angry Dance in no time. Ollie obliged with a masterclass and quite a rage as he stormed off.

Part Two front of curtain scene with David Nellist has really taken off but had extra spice due to the fact that one member of Francesca's family who were in the audience got picked. As if that wasn't enough when he asked for the Geordies to show themselves they all waved and he had a second go at them. I wonder if David knew who they actually were or was it just pot luck? It was fun to watch, though.

Ollie threw everything into a breathtaking Electricity (with wall flip) and got rapturous applause (and cries of "MORE", as well). He did break into a smile for a moment just to let us know that he was enjoying having nailed a beauty and that he was pleased that we were more than pleased.

Something very odd happened later in the show. Small Boy and Big Davey seemed to do a disappearing trick in the welfare scene after Electricity. To be honest I'm not quite sure what went on but usually George and Big Davey have that interaction about whether Billy will get in or not. But the first thing I noticed was that it was, I think, Craig Armstrong who was with David Nellist and as they walked off with the dustbin Craig looked back once or twice as if to say "Where's the Small Boy got to?" but he was nowhere in sight. Another Forum member told me afterwards that SB had come on as usual but hadn't taken the sarnie off Jackie Elliot as he usually does. Thinking back I'm reasonably sure that SB didn't come out with the lollipop either. However, both SB and Big Davey did re-appear in the Finale.

It was my first time to see Ollie, Connor K and Francesca together and it was a terrific combination of young performers that lit up the stage along with the superb new Ballet Girls who must have worked like trojans in rehearsals to reach such a standard in such a short space of time. Likewise with the Tall and Small Boys.

With all the adult cast at the top of their form and the music better than ever there was never a better time to see the show. It continues to truly sparkle.

Thanks to you all yet again for making Thursday so very special for the umpteenth time.
If there had been 20 foot of snow in Victoria St. when we came out it would have been worth it.

Plenty of Forum members and other Thursday regulars (plus a few old friends we hadn't seen for a while) were present with great camaraderie.

Pat
olivejuice
Small Boy

Post by olivejuice »

Thanks for the review Pat, it sounds like it was a great show. I've been having serious Billy withdrawl this week and it's great to read something like that and hear how well everyone is doing.
London: Ollie-1, Dean-Charles-1, Tom-1
Chicago: Cesar-2, JP-2, Giuseppe-1, Tommy-3, Marcus-1
Bungie
Small Boy

Post by Bungie »

Pat, re Matinee Thursday 14th. Jan. Thanks for a truly excellent all encompassing revue. I have not been able to see the show for some weeks, and I can't get for some time yet. Your revue made me feel as if I were at that Matinee. It must have been some show.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

It amazes me that the posted reviews can sometimes vary (or there can be a disagreement with regard to what is reported to have happened on stage) especially when the reviewers attended the same performance. I put this down to the fact that the show means different things to each one of us and on that basis, we can often see things within the confines of the action that other do not see (it could be even that we are seeing things that we want to see - subconsciously of course!) Of course, another practical reason is the fact that many of us will be sitting at the very front of the auditorium and therefore we are not visually capturing all the action that is going on across the whole width of the stage at any one time due to our focus the main action.
Anyway, don't you feel that this discussion, disagreement or take on what is going on is interesting - I certainly do. Reading about it (and visualising what is being discussed) makes makes me feel close to the show at times when I would like to be there but for logistical reasons cannot.
Keep all the reviews coming - I really enjoy seeing BETM from other fans' point of view.

David
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
cuuush
Small Boy

Post by cuuush »

I wanted to give a quick wave (hi!) and say thanks for all the wonderful reviews! They make my day!
I’m completely new to BETM, I saw my first show late 2009 and I LOVED it! I’m already planning a trip to the UK for 2010 so I can see it again. In the meantime I read all the reviews and relive the show a little every time.

Return to “Reviews Archive”