January 2010 Reviews - London

Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Re: January 2010 Reviews - London

Post by Billy Whiz »

Welcome to the forum cuuush.

Glad you enjoy the reviews.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Monday 18th January 2010 – UK London – 7.30pm

Billy – Fox
Michael – Connor
Debbie – Francesca

This was Fox’s first evening performance following the shock announcement of his departure on March 27th 2010. As a big Fox fan (first ever Billy) I was absolutely delighted when I arrived at the theatre this evening and saw from the board that he was performing in the role of Billy. Working on the basis that there won’t be many opportunities for me to see Fox again between now and his Finale, I thought that on this occasion, my review of the show would focus on the amazing Fox.

It was a truly marvellous and exhilarating experience this evening, even with all the emotions and sadness associated with the future departure of another tremendous Billy, I found myself completely relaxed in my favourite seat (B15) and perfectly at ease as I enjoyed the highs and lows of this brilliant show.

Fox – you were OUTSTANDING this evening. If I didn’t know better, it seemed like a huge burden had been removed from your shoulders. Every single element of your performance, you seemed to enjoy – you were perfectly relaxed and at one with the part of Billy - every line delivered with conviction, every facial expression tailored like a Saville Row suit i.e to perfection. The thing that strikes me about you is your ability to stay in character throughout the whole three hours especially when the immediate focus in not on you. This, in my view, is a sign of a true professional and the single most important aspect in a theatrical performance that helps us believe that your are really Billy Elliot.

There were some lovely moments tonight that I haven’t noticed before – one in particular came during your interaction with Michael (Connor) in ‘Expressing Yourself’ Although I know that you enjoy working with all the Michaels, it felt like you were letting yourself go completely tonight. You are clearly ‘tickled’ by little Connor and his mannerisms and there are occasions when you were working hard to keep a straight face - I saw the wink you gave him to let him know that the scene was being well received and his subtle response back. Another moment tonight that I have not really witnessed you do before, was during ‘The Letter’. Usually, it is Tom that brings the lump to our throats but tonight, Fox, you got me – well and truly – there was real emotion expressed which was sustained for some considerable time throughout the song – a really convincing and sad moment.

At the end of a tense and powerful ‘Angry Dance’ you really looked like you needed a well-deserved break . We forget just how much effort goes into these performances and just how fit you need to be to get through them. My hat goes off to you and the other Billy’s too for the sheer energy that is required to wow the audience. I for one really appreciate this as I am sure everyone else does too.

In the second act we were treated to the Dream Ballet which I find amongst the most tender of sequences with graceful moves and wonderful music from Swan Lake. I love the interaction between the young and old Billy’s and especially between you and Barnaby. Every time I watch you at this point, you are full of smiles –your face lights up the whole set and I feel that this is a part of the performance you particularly personally enjoy.

But the dance sequence to end all sequences for me has to be your interpretation of ‘Electricity’. Although I really do appreciate the Ballet Billy’s, I think that your performance including the many flip overs, back flips, cart-wheels and many other bits of acro, street, hip-hop, free-style (you can gather here I am not necessarily familiar with all the terms) is simply AWESOME – I have nothing but respect for your ability and the way in which you have constructed such a explosive routine at this important part in the show. Truly inspirational Fox – you must continue with all of this when you move on.

Just before I do finish, I do want to mention all the other fantastic cast. Tonights show is one I will not forget for a long time – and each one of you is totally brilliant in everything you do.

Well Fox – I’m so glad I went tonight. I hope to see you a few more times before you move on and hope that each subsequent time will be as good as tonights experience.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
dwallen
Small Boy

Post by dwallen »

Thursday January 21st

Thursday January 21st

Billy - Fox
Michael - George
Debbie - Fleur

My first visit to the VP this year and once again it was a great performance. Fox was in good form and seemed to be smiling throughout the performance. He and George really enjoyed themselves in 'Expressing' and were making each other smile. There was lot's of energy from the whole cast right through the show which really pleased a very responsive audience. One strange thing, however,was that there were no jokes at the start of Act 2 and no 'Meat raffle.' Billy, George and Tony came out through the curtain together and began the song. I have to say that Fox appeared to be suprised. I wonder what that was about? Merry Christmas was performed with, I think, more power and energy than usual

George and Fleur were great as usual and Fox danced the ballet scene with Barnaby beautifully.

Electricity was stunning as usual concluding with 'That smile' that we know and love. We all had a ball and I have to say that this is the second show I have seen with the December changes and I like them. Thanks to the whole cast for a great evening
67 wonderful shows
21 marvellous Billys
Travis, Sam, Layton, Corey, Josh, Hogan, Fox, Brad, Tom, Tanner, Ollie, Dean, Rhys, Scott, Ryan, Josh Baker, Adam, Harris and Kaine, Harrison and Tade
2 First Nights - Ollie and Dean-Charles
8 Last Nights - Layton, Hogan, Brad, Fox, Tom, Ollie, Scott and Dean.
6 Anniversaries - 4th, 5th plus the second 5th Anniversary (May 12th 2010), 6th (March 2011) 7th (May 12th 2012) 8th (May 11th 2013)
1 Gala Night - May 30th 2012 - celebrating 7th Anniversary and 3,000 show.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 21st January

Dean Charles, Jake, Emily
George: John Coates
Mr B, Big Davey plus about 500 other parts: Phil Snowden

Just a short review tonight.
Nobody has a right to be THIS happy EVERY Thursday at about 5.30pm but when your luck is in it's in.

Despite a depleted cast the company just let it rip in front of an excellent audience who fully appreciated another magical performance. They somehow managed to scrape together 11 police (men and women) lined across in Solidarity and Phil had some interesting but very smooth quick changes of costume to do.

There was a glitch at the beginning of Expressing which opened in darkness. Normally, Michael's lights go on as Billy pushes back the toilets after Mrs. W's exit. However, even after Michael was pulled out, still no lights so the effect of Michael's first appearance in a dress was lost on the audience. The boys didn't stop, though. They continued on as normal until finally the lights came on. Jake was just too funny for words. I just sat there, lay back in the seat and laughed my head off non-stop at what was going on. What else could you do?

At the beginning of Part 2 when George, Tony and Billy all came out together we soon realised that there would be no banter today and they more or less went straight into Maggie Thatcher with just a little bit of "No" (are we downhearted?) preceding it.

This was my fourth time (out of 6 shows) to see Dean and already he has surpassed each previous one. When you think how good he was to begin with that gives you an idea of what class this boy has in all departments. Throughout the show the expression of determination to succeed in his face matches the undoubted determination in real life he had to have to become Billy. It was breathtaking to watch it as was Angry Dance. Not, maybe, as angry in voice but, boy, when those feet tap the floor you know the red mist has descended.

Barnaby and Dean together for the Dream Ballet was smooth as silk. A 2M dollars a year CGI animator could not have done it as well even with all the computing power at his disposal.

There were some fans in attendance today that hadn't already had the pleasure of seeing Dean perform and were eagerly looking forward to seeing a ballet Electricity for the first time in yonks. Dean delivered a peach, an absolute peach. I'm not 100% sure but I think he may have just added a delectable little frill with his arms/hands just before the final spins but will have to see it again. The final flourish of the piano and orchestra in the ballet Electricity as it heads to its climax is adrenalin-inducing stuff of the highest order. Very difficult to remain seated in one's seat.

It says wonders for the versatility of the cast/ensemble that even without the services of Craig Gallivan, Sean Kingsley, David Nellist, David Massey and more that they can still send an audience home enraptured and vowing to come again.

Pat
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Fox and Dean (according to the reviews) have worked very hard this week but to date there is no sign of Ollie or Tom!
Anyone know what is happening?
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

This week I have seen Fox twice. I did not think that I would like a non ballet billy electricity. He is amazing even without that part of the show.
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

He definately is amazing. We are all going to miss him when he leaves the show at the end of March.
I love watching the Ballet Billy's but also enjoy watching Fox and Tom who are very similar in their performance of Electricity - so much power and energy.
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

Yesterday I saw Dean for the first time perform as Billy and was most impressed. It is great to see a 'Ballet Billy' again since I personally prefer this version of the Electricity dance. It is strange to have seen him in three different roles; small boy, Michael and now, fulfilling his dream of being Billy. Well done Dean.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Westletonion wrote:Yesterday I saw Dean for the first time perform as Billy and was most impressed. It is great to see a 'Ballet Billy' again since I personally prefer this version of the Electricity dance. It is strange to have seen him in three different roles; small boy, Michael and now, fulfilling his dream of being Billy. Well done Dean.
Oh, I'm glad you liked him too Malcolm! He certainly has Muppet's very high seal of approval - and you know quite well that I am a hard Muppet to please!! :D :lol:
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

quote:

you know quite well that I am a hard Muppet to please!!

:lol: :lol: :D

Return to “Reviews Archive”